Author Topic: hello Idlewild posse  (Read 25630 times)

redsock

Re: hello Idlewild posse
« Reply #120 on: July 17, 2003, 10:10:00 am »
jackson c?

Bags

« Reply #121 on: July 17, 2003, 10:39:00 am »
Originally posted by kurosawa-b/w:
  Well, as you all know, I've seen Idlewild multiple times, and that is one of the best shows I've ever seen them do.  I think there were about 18 songs? Which is an incredibly long set for them. I got to hear two songs that I've never seen live and always wanted to hear. (The last two of the encore.) Kick ass show! You all should have come down to the afterparty in the Backbar. The band members were mingling and were excited about the show as well. They like DC and it showed.
What were the last two songs?  The friend with me was convinced the very last was a cover, because it had such a different sound -- the screaming and the angst!  (Thanks, LuLu, for the set list.)

And I absolutely agree with the raves over Idlewild.  I was surprised at how Idlewild could really rock the place, especially for two or three songs that were almost punk in their energy.  I never remember sets (and I just got two albums so I don't know the songs yet), but about midway through they took my breath away with a real rocker -- I looked at my friend and said, "I never thought they could rock out like this!"

And though the place wasn't sold out, the people who were there were real fans.  The floor was packed in pretty tightly toward the stage, and from my balcony vantage point I was quite happy and amazed to see so many heads bobbing, a bit of pogo-ing in order to move in a small space, and *so* many people singing along.  Even at the 9:30 Club, that's pretty rare.  As we've pointed out before, DC audiences aren't always the most lively or engaged.

Loved the show -- my first Idlewild, as some of you know, as I was just convinced last week (1) to go, and (2) to buy a couple albums (Remote Part and 100 Broken Windows).  SO glad I did -- thanks to the folks encouraging me!

And I really enjoyed the Put Outs too, though a couple of slower numbers didn't grab me completely.  But we were down on the floor for them and had a great time.  That last "one and a half" song they played, I thought that this is the kind of song that could be one of your favorites and you're just praying they play live when you see them.  So are they working on an album, will they play more, what's their story?

ggw

« Reply #122 on: July 17, 2003, 10:51:00 am »
I thought last night's show was even a little better than the Fletcher's show.  It was good to see a much, much larger crowd than when I last saw Idlewild at 9:30 -- an active and involved crowd no less.

The Put-Outs seemed a little rusty at points, but were as good as expected.  Nothing like some good old American indie rock with masturbatory guitar licks and a viola.

Thanks for the disc Kosmo.  It made for a nice ride home.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #123 on: July 17, 2003, 11:20:00 am »
Originally posted by redsock:
  jackson c?
this one i figured out with a google search...

the song is "Blues Run The Game" written by Jackson C. Frank.
T.Rex

markie

« Reply #124 on: July 17, 2003, 11:32:00 am »
Well I thought it was poptastic.

did anyone else enjoy the quiet songs and two guitar intros more than the rest of it? I guess it is easier to hear Roddys voice on those.

They played a very fan friendly set. Every great single and happy tune and not just the new album.

Other bands (placebo) could learn a lesson from that.

Whis is Jackson C Frank, or should I just go to allmusic and stop being so lazy?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #125 on: July 17, 2003, 11:34:00 am »
outta curiosity who saw Idlewild when they played the DC's Garage in 1999?

the last song was off their first EP "Captain" ... Kosmette knew members of Idlewild in their early days at Edinburgh Uni and saw an earlish gig when they were still on the punk side of things.

can't say exactly what the Put-Outs future is, although the new four song ep they were selling last night was produced by Don Coffey Jr. drummer for Superdrag and producer of their record.
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #126 on: July 17, 2003, 11:49:00 am »
i always enjoy shows more when the audience treats every song played like it's a hit single.  the audience are always totally into show, there's no audible yacking when the bands are on stage.  it's those shows were people show up to hear the hit or just to be seen are the worst...

so who wants to predict which bands career will last longer placebo, supergrass or idlewild?  of course i would love if idlewild would stay at their current level of fame... enthusiastic fans in club verses theatres etc.
T.Rex

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #127 on: July 17, 2003, 11:53:00 am »
Originally posted by bags:
  I never remember sets...but about midway through they took my breath away with a real rocker -- I looked at my friend and said, "I never thought they could rock out like this!"

That was Film for the Future off of their Hope is Important album. One of my favorite songs, and I think it's their best live song.

Bags

« Reply #128 on: July 17, 2003, 02:02:00 pm »
Originally posted by kurosawa-b/w:

Originally posted by bags:
  I never remember sets...but about midway through they took my breath away with a real rocker -- I looked at my friend and said, "I never thought they could rock out like this!"

That was Film for the Future off of their Hope is Important album. One of my favorite songs, and I think it's their best live song. [/b]
Well, it was great, and now I will go and buy the Hope is Important album.  Man, in a coupla months I'm gonna be so upset that I saw them just before I knew all the songs!!

Thanks for the info.

walkman

« Reply #129 on: July 17, 2003, 03:49:00 pm »
Idlewild played an amazing show last night...just teriffic, with an excellent setlist.  Redsock, I'll see your Put-Outs comment and up you one:  I thought they were very very blah.  They were the really poor man's Replacements, if that.  Not talentless, just very boring.  Maybe at the ripe old age of 17 I'm getting a little too old for that dated geetar rawk.

Laguardia weren't bad, but I agree with Kosmo - they should keep the mouths closed.  By the way, Kosmo's mix is FANTASTIC.  You can DJ in my parents' basement ANYTIME.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #130 on: July 17, 2003, 04:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by walkman:
  Laguardia weren't bad, but I agree with Kosmo - they should keep the mouths closed.  By the way, Kosmo's mix is FANTASTIC.  You can DJ in my parents' basement ANYTIME.
lots of dj's get their start doing house parties... i got two turntables and no microphone (actually one turntable and two cd players).  all i need is a rockin' (stereo)soundsystem to hook up to and a bunch of peeps to enjoy the tunage!

as an fyi... all the artists on that disc appeared on "Where The Action Is" a late 60's tv show which aired afternoons during the week.  it's interesting to note that now classic garage bands were appearing along side soul acts of the time.  something you would never see in this day age of musical segmentation.  i have a hard time seeing the mooney suzuki and beyonce appearing on the same edition of trl.  hell the classic rock stations can't even dare add modern day artists that might fit into their rotations.
T.Rex

Jaguär

« Reply #131 on: July 17, 2003, 04:47:00 pm »
Originally posted by poorlulu:

Originally posted by Fico:
 [qb] I'll be there with my missus...haven't been to 9:30 since Paul Weller I believe.. wait Sigur Ros came after Weller???.. anywho it's been a long time and I'm looking forward to tonight...
missus?

she better be hotter than meg white else we will all point at her and go eugh.........
 [/b]
She is.....but that doesn't take much doing.

Good seeing you last night. Sorry I didn't get close enough for a proper hello and a chance to meet your lady. You two looked good together.    ;)

markie

« Reply #132 on: July 17, 2003, 04:57:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguär:

Good seeing you last night. Sorry I didn't get close enough for a proper hello and a chance to meet your lady. You two looked good together.     :(

Jaguär

« Reply #133 on: July 17, 2003, 05:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by the scientist:

Originally posted by Jaguär:

Good seeing you last night. Sorry I didn't get close enough for a proper hello and a chance to meet your lady. You two looked good together.      :(  
So that means that you think Fico is hot.

Fico

« Reply #134 on: July 17, 2003, 06:25:00 pm »
Thanks for the compliments all around Markie and Jag... many people think we are cousins or brother and sister.. i guess it could only be the hair or color of skin that makes us similar, but you wouldn't be the fist people to point out so I digress..

On the other hand it be stupid to state again the overall sentiments of the board that last night's show was mega... I wanted to stick around for the backbar but we rushed out as soon as they left the stage after the encore to catch the train.. to no use, the train left while we were entering the station... it's been too busy as of late as everyone wants to pencil in time with the missus before she leaves so we decided to call it a night... maybe if yer going to the Blur show we can pencil in a beer an' that..