Author Topic: Red Hot Chili Peppers  (Read 5939 times)

Vas Deferens

Re: Red Hot Chili Peppers
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2007, 04:56:00 pm »
I guess sweetcell can skip RHCP at Coachella?
(_|_)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2007, 05:30:00 pm »
only ONE song off Mother's Milk?? not even Good Times? Higher Ground? Subway to Venus? Knock Me down? STONE COLD BUSH??
tell me about it.  but they've "matured" as a band, and they're on record saying that the funk-rock sound of mother's milk/BSSM just isn't where they're at right now.  imagine that, a band changing...

I am glad I didn't spend money to go to this show I would have been pissed. I would have liked to see G.B. though out of curiousity wasn't that the opener?
don't get me wrong, the show was definitely worth it.  those jams were sweet and they're great showmen.  from where i was sitting/standing, the sounds was very good, and that stage/light set-up was impressive.

gnalrs was indeed the opener, but that was a non-event.  the place was half-empty, and people seemed rather indifferent.  i'm sure they left the stage frustrated and unimpressed with the crowd.  people were there for the peppers, not gnarls.

I guess sweetcell can skip RHCP at Coachella?  
actually, i'm now considering skipping coachella all together...    ;)    seriously tho, i've now seen them twice in 6 six months, so if there is something else going on at the same time as RHCP i'll probably check that out instead.  tiesto in the dj tent?  ugh.  hopefully arcade fire will be playing on the smaller stage.
<sig>

Vas Deferens

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2007, 05:34:00 pm »
sweetcell - umm, no you're not.
(_|_)

TheDirector217

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2007, 06:21:00 pm »
So, here it is people.  It could be pure speculation, or astute obversation.  Or fuckin' malarkey.  Whatever.  

I was jive "inebriated" at the show, but the guy next to me pointed this out to me, then I kept an eye on it throughout the show.  Anybody at the show probably noticed this.  I can't remember what song it was (the 1st 4th of the show) Anthony & John were going back and forth about something.  John's body language was kinda, "What's wrong?" & Anthony seemed pissed about something or other.  If you noticed, Anthony didn't seem as animated as usual (I've seen 'em a good 5 times).  Also, Anthony left the stage abruptly as fuck.  

I say all that to say this: word on the street is that after this tour the Chili Peppers are breaking up.  Done.  Finito.  I would brush this off as rumor mill bullshit, but think about this for a second.  In SPIN magazine, about a year ago, Flea said that he had made his mind up to quit the band altogether.  He wasn't getting along with Anthony, & Flea & John couldn't stand each other. So there's some friction there that exists.  

I mean fuck - they've been doing it for 23+ years now.  So if that was the last time I get to see the Peppers, then I'm good.  The energy on the floor was bananas.  Anthony was a little off last night (obviously), but that's only if you notice little shit like that.  A 1st timer would probably think it was fucking amazing.  I'm a little spoiled.  John Frusciante was ON last night & was the star of the show.  Matter of a fact, the band was the star of the show as opposed to Anthony.  So take all that for what it's worth.  I give the show (trying to unbiased as I'm a big fan) like a strong B.  Which for ALMOST any other group is an A+.  The Peppers built their legend live, so no need to drone on about it.  That's all.  Take it 4 what it's worth . . .

P.S. The light setup on the ceiling (Yes, THE FUCKIN' CEILING!) of Verizon was crazy.  It was especially fun if you had a chance to kiss Peter Parker's girlfriend before or during the show.      :D     So I heard . . . .     ;)

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2007, 06:37:00 pm »
I saw them in '02 or '03 and was extremely pleased with the performance.  Despite the troubling fact that they did not play enough off of their back catalogue, nor did they seem to last night judging by that setlist...they still kick ass.  And there are plenty of bands that have been around forever that don't seem to play tracks from back in the day.  They've still got it.  They are still more talented than a bazillion other people making music today...

TheDirector217

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2007, 06:40:00 pm »
^^^^^^^Real Talk . . . . ^^^^^^^^^^

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2007, 06:47:00 pm »
a very believable rumor.  i definitely noticed that anthony wasn't on his game - i don't think he spoke directly to the crowd all night (it was flea who gave the gratuitous "how ya doin' washington" shout-outs, if i remember correctly).  anthony was there to get the job done, that's it.  to his credit, he was very professional.  if things are that bad, one has to wonder if they can keep it together long enough to fulfill their current schedule (which, as far as i know, has them playing in euroland through the end of july).
<sig>

TheDirector217

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2007, 06:57:00 pm »
Yeah.  I was seated with 5 chicks (4 were hot, the other one just . . . was - LOL) so I kinda had to play it cool with Peter Parker's girl, plus I was seated right near the aisle.  BLOWER.  But it doesn't matter.  It all worked out in the end.  I tried to light a Newport just so I wouldn't miss the show.  The "yellow coats" came down upon thee with furious anger by the time I was halfway through it.  I stomped it out and gave 'em the "Who me?" routine and proceeded to keep rockin' in the free world.  Oh, well . . .

If they do break up . . . It's been a hell of a ride.  I'm honored to have heard & seen the Peppers so many times.  They're almost like old friends or some shit.  I ALWAYS have a great time at their shows . . .

PigIron

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2007, 07:51:00 pm »
I like the Chili Peppers and have seen them plenty since the Mother's Milk tour.  Always full of energy (even as they've aged) but for whatever reason, they've given up on the first four records almost completely when it comes to the live show.  Saw them last when they played with Queens of the Stone Age a few years ago at Nissan Pavillion.  Haven't been into their recent stuff so I was clueless on much of the setlist.  I think they are great musicians but it seems the last few records have sort of sounded bland - especially the stuff I've heard on the new one.  Maybe I'm missing something.  I skipped them at the Virgin Festival altogether and the Flaming Lips set made me not care.

PigIron

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2007, 08:00:00 pm »

Cure
 Smiths
 Big Audio Dynamite
 Chili Peppers
 New Order
 Sex Pistols
 Fishbone
 Public Enemy
 Pixies
 Minor Threat
 Social Distortion
 Big Black
 Bad Brains

With the exception of one or two, this sounds like any mix tape I had in college.  I still listen to all of it.  Isn't college where you pick up your lifelong taste in music?  I believe its your high school preferences that you are supposed to be ashamed of.

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2007, 08:07:00 pm »
I'm not ashamed of my college music tastes, I've just moved on to other music. One or two of them I did out for nostalgia purposes (Smiths, New Order), but the rest just aren't my thing any more.

Reod Dai

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2007, 05:30:00 am »
I've seen the Peppers twice, and they kicked ass both times.  The second time, in fact, was pretty mindblowing (at the Key Arena in Seattle).  That may have had something to do with The Flaming Lips opening, though.  :)

I'm sure the Verizon show would have been fun, but looking at that setlist, I'm still rather glad I didn't go.

Originally posted by le sonick:
 its been a while since i've popped Soul Asylum's "Grave Dancer's Union"
The last time for me was probably right before their St. Patrick's Day show at the club last year, after which I got Dave Pirner to sign the CD.  :)