Author Topic: Red Hot Chili Peppers  (Read 5938 times)

Mobius

Red Hot Chili Peppers
« on: January 26, 2007, 01:54:00 am »
#1 They played strong, but Agent Zero still would have hit a three to win at the buzzer.

#2  Its interesting that the Chili Peppers evolved into a band that fills arenas, and even more interesting that as they got older their fans got younger, yet. .  . .

#3  John Frusciante and Flea are absolutely ridiculous.  I don't care that this isn't the band that played Ritchie Coliseum w/ the Two Free Stooges back when.  Those guys and  Chad Smith paint a picture that's worth watching.

#4  Seeing the Chili Peppers today is like seeing a guy you were a fan of in college playing in the pros.  He's better, more refined, more polished. Totally professional.  Different, less vital,  but still frickin great.

#5 Really fun show.  Whatever the Chili Peppers are today, they're still a lot of fun and a hell of a band.  The songs are even beside the point.

Re: Red Hot Chili Peppers
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 07:56:00 am »
What if I've outgrown the music I listened to in college, like most people do?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 08:15:00 am »
I still listen to lots of the music from my college days,  The Clash, The Jam, R.E.M., English Beat, U2,  DEVO, Blondie, Wall of Voodoo, David Bowie, etc...  Now most of what I listened to High School is different story.... Yes, Kiss, Foreigner, Van Halen, Bob Seger, Styx, Kansas
T.Rex

lukiedookie89

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 09:03:00 am »
I am moderately bummed about missing the show, as I've listened to RHCP since about 5th grade and have yet to see them live.  70 bucks and the Verizon Center turned me way I guess.  Anyone have a setlist?

TheDirector217

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 10:17:00 am »
Nice analogy, Mobius.  The Peppers put in another KILLER performance last night.  That shit was mind-blowing.  It was better than the good outing they had at Virgin Festival.  (Then again they didn't have The Who there to upstage them.  LOL)  I've seen just about everyone you can think of, & I don't think I've ever seen a band that appears to have as much fun on stage as the Peppers.  

P.S. It's now official - John Frusciante is a fuckin' rock god.  He's a bad man . . . .

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 10:29:00 am »
What if I've outgrown the music I listened to in college, like most people do?
What were you listening to in college?  Some of my tastes have changed, but I wouldn't say I "grew out" of most of it.  In fact, most of it holds up pretty well...Better than a lot of stuff I hear today will, that's for sure.

sonickteam2

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 10:33:00 am »
rhett is working very hard at living up to his own expectations and stereotypes.

its an inner battle he struggles with every day.

i cant say i ever went to college, but as far as high school?  its been a while since i've popped Soul Asylum's "Grave Dancer's Union" or the Lemonheads "Its A Shame About Ray" but if i heard them on the radio...i'd leave em on!  ;)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 11:54:00 am »
i had a blast at the show last night - until they played "give it away" during the encore.  actually, they didn't play it, they phoned it in - looked completely bored with it.  the show would have been better, IMO, without it.  otherwise, great concert.  not only is john a guitar god, but he can pull that off while being an incredible backup singer.  blew me away.  anyone else think that with his new hair cut he looks like justin timberlake?  i liked that they jammed a little between songs, then effortlessly slpped in to the next song.
<sig>

TheDirector217

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 02:59:00 pm »
Indeed, sweetcell.  (I'll try to send you some pics, I was in Section 1, 15 rows back.) It was a good ol' time . . . Here's the setlist.  And yeah, Mr. Frusciante did look jive Timberlake-ish with his haircut/shape-up.  LOL

1. Intro Jam
 2. Can't Stop
 3. Dani California
 4. Scar Tissue
 5. Charlie
 6. Havana Affair
 7. Long jam/21st Century
 8. Throw Away Your Television/Don't You Ever Leave
 9. C'mon Girl
 10. Snow (Hey Oh)
 11. How Can I Tell You (John)
 12. Nobody Weird Like Me
 13. Don't Forget Me
 14. London Calling/Right On Time
 15. Hey
 16. Californication
 17. By The Way

Encore
 18. Drum Solo
 19. I Could Have Lied
 20. Give It Away
 21. End Jam

Got some bad news for Peppers fans, too . . . . More on that later

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 03:06:00 pm »
What were you listening to in college?

Cure
 Smiths
 Big Audio Dynamite
 Chili Peppers
 New Order
 Sex Pistols
 Fishbone
 Public Enemy
 Pixies
 Minor Threat
 Social Distortion
 Big Black
 Bad Brains
 plenty of other forgotten (by me) bands...I'd have to check my cassette collection

saintangelsin

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 03:23:00 pm »
the set list is nice, but i'm kinda glad i didn't go, because they didn't play "suck my kiss" or "under the bridge." When I saw them back in 1999, they were just fucking amazing. I am still kicking myself for not seeing them back in 2002 with the foo fighters.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2007, 03:34:00 pm »
director - cool, would love to see the pix (send a PM if you want my e-mail address).

also thanks for the setlist.  that acoustic solo song by john was sweet - cat stevens, right?  for me the highlight was "could have lied" (followed immediately by the low point, "give it away"... sigh).

what's the bad news?!?

the set list is nice, but i'm kinda glad i didn't go, because they didn't play "suck my kiss" or "under the bridge."  
i was worried for a second there, but then noticed that my sarcasm meter was on the fritz...
<sig>

sonickteam2

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2007, 04:12:00 pm »
2 songs from the Pre-Californication era? (by my count anyway, i dont know their stuff too well)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2007, 04:52:00 pm »
three: "Nobody Weird Like Me" is off of Mother's Milk, plus the two BSSM songs. if it was up to me, i would have had them play a few more from that era...
<sig>

smakawhat

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2007, 04:55:00 pm »
gee that set list sucks...  I'll give it props for variety but not surprisingly it encompasses most of the recent stuff.

only ONE song off Mother's Milk??  not even Good Times?  Higher Ground? Subway to Venus?  Knock Me down? STONE COLD BUSH??

That's just wrong.

I am glad I didn't spend money to go to this show I would have been pissed.  I would have liked to see G.B. though out of curiousity wasn't that the opener?