Author Topic: Belle & Sebastian Rollcall  (Read 18013 times)

shtee223

Re: Belle & Sebastian Rollcall
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2006, 01:13:00 am »
i thought all three bands were great. after the energy of ted leo, i thought that broken social scene started out surprisingly slow. however, after like 3 songs, their set just took off and was unbelievable. but i agree, i was looking forward to "kc accidental" and "it's all gonna break." i didnt think the opening bands really fit b&s that well but it turned out to be a great show.

wxdude

« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2006, 08:38:00 am »
I thought Belle and Sebastian were great as ususal, and it was really good to here The Boy with the Arab Strab and Sleep the Clock Around. The sound was very good from where I was at in the pavillion (left center about a quarter of the way back).  Also really enjoyed If You're Feeling Sinister.

As for the other acts, I saw Ted Leo at Coachella, and was not impressed and was equally unimpressed last night. Just not my cup of tea.

I thought BSS were ok, but wish they had played more from "You Forgot It In People" which I much prefer over the latest CD. I agree that the volume for the vocals were not loud enough. The song with Amy Millan doing the main vocals was definitely the highlight for me. Too bad Feist and Emily Haines couldn't make it.

Overall, still very good show.

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2006, 09:26:00 am »
Was in the Pit. Loved Ted.  Too short a set though.  Is he playing in Baltimore on 8/2?

Walked around the lawn during BSS. Not my cup of whatever.  Nice to see people out with their infants on the lawn.  Beer and cigarette in one hand, baby in the other.  Chatted with a 930ish person who confirmed the Who and the Killers will be at vfest.

Belle and Sebastian were good, not as good as the 930 show.  Vocals mixed too low, or was it that because they all use those in-ear monitors, there is less sound coming at you when standing so close to the stage?

Maybe its not new, but it seemed new to me - there is a somewhat hudden starbucks at MPP.

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2006, 09:28:00 am »
Was in the Pit. Loved Ted.  Too short a set though.  Is he playing in Baltimore on 8/2?

Walked around the lawn during BSS. Not my cup of whatever.  Nice to see people out with their infants on the lawn.  Beer and cigarette in one hand, baby in the other.  Chatted with a 930ish person who confirmed the Who and the Killers will be at vfest.

Belle and Sebastian were good, not as good as the 930 show.  Vocals mixed too low, or was it that because they all use those in-ear monitors, there is less sound coming at you when standing so close to the stage?

Maybe its not new, but it seemed new to me - there is a somewhat hidden starbucks at MPP.

ChampionshipVinyl

« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2006, 09:41:00 am »
I agree that the B&S shows at 9:30 were better than last night's.  I thought their set was a little uneven at times, but still enjoyable.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2006, 10:24:00 am »
Agree with everything said about B&S, the show at the club were better.  The band was more cohesive and more connected with the audience that night.  They didn't really catch until about an hour into the set. Nice collection of the songs towards the end, but would have liked to have heard Legal Man. The string quartet didn't really add anything and the sound was a bit lacking in the pit a bit better farther back into the pavilion.  

Not sure if it was intentional or not, but Ted Leo did his soundcheck after the gates opened which sort of sounded like a pre-set warmup including a closing cover of "Suspect Device".  Will have to check him out for a full set soon...

As far as BSS somethings are best left unsaid...
T.Rex

slowgraffiti

« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2006, 10:42:00 am »
they played great songs. it would've been nicer at 930 but then i wouldn't have had that great breeze.
 it was priceless when mick stood up on the speaker.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2006, 10:49:00 am »
it was a perfect evening for an outdoor concert indeed...
T.Rex

kookiemnstr8

« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2006, 12:10:00 pm »
KC was on the setlist for Broken Social Scene and they didn't play it.  I could have cried.  They translated much better live than I thought they would, seeing as their sound on disc is so dense.  I thought Ibi was a little lacking but Anthem for a Seventeen Year Old Girl was phenomenal.  Parts of that set blew me away.  I'd like to see them somewhere smaller with a better mix because the vocals were missing a lot.

I think I was just spoiled by seeing Belle and Sebastian at 9:30.  Last night felt too big and they definitely didn't connect with the audience as much.  Arab Stap material made me so happy though.  It seemed like their set was pretty short, but that was probably just me.

Ted Leo's new stuff sounded good, they were on, better than when I saw them in March.

shtee223

« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2006, 01:04:00 pm »
being in the pit, the vocals sounded really muddy but inbetween songs didnt kevin drew say something about wanting to do a cover that they had done during soundcheck or something? i wasnt sure but i thought i heard something like that.

slowgraffiti

« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2006, 01:20:00 pm »
they were talking about covering the rollercoaster ride

shtee223

« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2006, 02:28:00 pm »
whats that

slowgraffiti

« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2006, 02:49:00 pm »
a belle and sebastian song

eddie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2006, 04:23:00 pm »
What I though was hilarious was during the anti-boss tirade the kid who got the air time calling out the principal of Georgetown Day.  That has to be indicative of a shift in fan base for B&S.

I am also guessing that they were filming for something since they had the house lights on for most of the set (which is what killed the light show IMHO).

lukiedookie89

« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2006, 04:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by eddie:
  What I though was hilarious was during the anti-boss tirade the kid who got the air time calling out the principal of Georgetown Day.  That has to be indicative of a shift in fan base for B&S.

Haha..those kids were really annoying...