Author Topic: Heavy Metal Parking Lot  (Read 13241 times)

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
Re: Heavy Metal Parking Lot
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2016, 12:09:53 pm »
Heavy Metal Parking Lot
Exhibition, Film Screening and Discussion

F 5/27 6pm
Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center
University of Maryland, College Park

More info

😐 🎶

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2023, 04:45:21 pm »
I found my ticket stub!!

https://flic.kr/p/2oFWLQf

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2023, 06:49:59 pm »
I found my ticket stub!!

https://flic.kr/p/2oFWLQf

you had a comped/industry ticket?
<sig>

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2023, 07:19:13 pm »
I won it off of DC⚡101. It was easy, back in the day. Probably saw 50+ shows for free that way.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2023, 08:01:36 pm »
I won it off of DC⚡101.

"industry".  you can tell by the zero price.

i won a mexican stratocaster and tickets to see Aerosmith via a radio drawing when i was ~16.  that strat was my first "real" ('ish) guitar after a string of cheap chinese LP knock-offs.  by the time the day of the show rolled around, i was so tired (either from partying the night before, or just coming back from a long camping trip - def one of those two options but can't remember which one) that i ended up scalping the tix for $60 even though they were worth a lot more.  my luck at drawings and contest has been above-average over my lifetime, but this was the only time i've ever won concert tickets that i can think of...
<sig>

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2023, 09:08:31 pm »
Most of my wins were in the summer of 86, for the merriweather season. Probably saw 30 shows, most of which were free. I still have a reputation for winning things, but it's easier when you dont count the losses.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2023, 09:11:48 pm »
I still have a reputation for winning things, but it's easier when you dont count the losses.

can confirm, unfortunately.
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2023, 09:49:07 pm »
I was winning some cool stuff in the late 2000s early 2010s when blogs were giving away stuff….probably the win I appreciated the most was Tony Bennett tickets to wolf trap followed by a meet and greet. Even got my picture with him; too bad I was having the worst hair day in human history so the picture had to be destroyed.

Space Freely

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2023, 09:51:58 pm »
I was winning some cool stuff in the late 2000s early 2010s when blogs were giving away stuff….probably the win I appreciated the most was Tony Bennett tickets to wolf trap followed by a meet and greet. Even got my picture with him; too bad I was having the worst hair day in human history so the picture had to be destroyed.

How was Tony's "hair?"

,i was once the champ at calling in and winning tickets on college radio stations.

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2023, 10:14:05 pm »
Oh I won rando concert tickets off the radio probably twenty times in my life. Never anything “holy shit” level but like small shows the radio station was highly promoting or putting on, sure. I think I saw Green Day, Cake (god awful), a bunch of pop punk bands, Our Lady Peace, and a bunch more for free just for calling into the radio station. 
LVMH

nkotb

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2023, 10:16:05 pm »
Hutch's hat's origin story...

too bad I was having the worst hair day in human history so the picture had to be destroyed.

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2023, 11:10:20 pm »
Hutch's hat's origin story...

too bad I was having the worst hair day in human history so the picture had to be destroyed.
#930FanService
LVMH

nkotb

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2023, 11:13:13 pm »
This is even better than when we found out how Han Solo got his famous BlasTech Industries DL-44 blaster!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2023, 11:23:24 pm »
but this was the only time i've ever won concert tickets that i can think of...

ERRATUM: i won 200-level tix to see NIN @ the Lube in 2006 by calling in to DC's talk radio station at the time (for a while it had Stern in the morning, the Sports Junkies, etc.- can't remember the callsign).  initially i was disappointed that they were "only" 200's (seat snob alert!), but given how awesome the light show was (including a see-through gate/fence in front of the band that was also a screen) i was glad i wasn't up front.  no way people in the pit could appreciate the grandiose light show going on on that screen/fence...

TAN: this was one of the first shows i dragged the future-missus to.  we had recently started dating, were still getting to know each other, etc.  one of the few things she knew about me was that my last relationship didn't end well and that i was still somewhat traumatized by it.  this was her first NIN show, which she quite enjoyed, so on our way home she was quizzing me about my history with the band.  i told her i've been into them ever since the downward spiral.  a long moment of silence ensued, and eventually she got up the courage to ask: "oh... is now a good time to talk about your ex?"  not being familiar with NIN's catalog, she assumed that "the downward spiral" was how i referred to my latest post breakup period  ;D  strong checkmark in the "keeper" column...
<sig>