Author Topic: Teenage Fanclub / Rosebuds DJ Setlist (Geffen Alumni Ed  (Read 2336 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Teenage Fanclub / Rosebuds DJ Setlist (Geffen Alumni Ed
« on: July 21, 2005, 08:36:00 am »
Was orginal the Kan Kon edition but I ended nowplaying as many of the Canadian artists as orginially planned (Blue Rodeo, Twenty Four Gone and 54-40 all in the hopper at one point)

Fountains of Wayne ?? ??Better Days?
 Buffalo Springfield ?? ??For What It??s Worth?
  The Magic Numbers  ?? ??Which Way Of Happy?
 Ron Sexsmith ?? ??Whatever It Takes?

Big Star ?? ??Thank You Friends?
 Sir Douglas Quintet ?? ??She??s About A Mover?
 Nic Armstrong and The Thieves ?? ??Broken Mouth Blues?
 The Creation ?? ??Making Time?
 Myracle Brah ?? ??Umbrella Girl?
 Flaming Groovies ?? ??You Torn Me Down?
 XTC ?? ??Cynical Days?
 John Hoskinson ?? ??I Hope I Die Before You Do?
 Roger Joseph Manning Jr. ?? ??The Loser?
 Gladhands ?? ??Plastic Soul?
 Richard Thompson ?? ??Don??t Renege On Our Love?
 Cosmic Rough Riders ?? ??Glastonbury Revisited?
 The World Record ?? ??gtrs4eve?
 Jason Falkner ?? ??The Put Her In The Movies?
 Sloan ?? ??The Marquee and the Moon?
 Posies ?? ??All In A Days Work?
 The High Dials  ?? ??Our Time Is Coming Soon?
 Byrds ?? ??Have You See Her Face?
 Chris Bell ?? ??I Am The Cosmos?

The Rosebuds

Pernice Brothers ?? ??Cut The Baby In Two?
 E.Joseph ?? ??Low-Flying Aircraft?
 Mood Elevator ?? ??Anglophile?
 Starbelly ?? ??Already?
 Oranger  ?? ??New Comes And Goes?
 Sugarplastic ?? ??The Runaround?
 Charlatans UK ?? ??I Don??t Want To See The Sights?
 Inspiral Carpets ?? ??Please Be Cruel?

Teenage Fanclub

Petra Haden  - ??I Can See For Miles?
 Greenberry Woods ?? ??Trampoline?
 Ash ?? ??Walking Barefoot?
 The Orange Peels  ?? ??Circle The Sun?
 The Jam ?? ??That??s Entertainment?
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Teenage Fanclub / Rosebuds DJ Setlist (Geffen Alumni Ed
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 08:39:00 am »
The DJ gig got off to a great start when not one but two members of Teenage Fanclub came asking about songs I was spinning by The Magic Numbers and Ron Sexsmith. Even the Fannies soundguy, who uses his own mix CDs, gave me the thumbs up after the gig.

Don't know a whole lot about the Magic Numbers other than they are folk rock with a bit of psychedilia thrown in, but will most certainly be looking for the full length.
T.Rex

ratioci nation

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 09:20:00 am »
sounded good to me, of course the only 2 I recognized right away were Mood Elevator and Pernice Brothers

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 10:10:00 am »
Nice job, Kosmo. Sounds like the dj set would have been worth the price of admission alone.

Relaxer

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 10:16:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  The DJ gig got off to a great start when not one but two members of Teenage Fanclub came asking about songs I was spinning by The Magic Numbers and Ron Sexsmith. Even the Fannies soundguy, who uses his own mix CDs, gave me the thumbs up after the gig.

Don't know a whole lot about the Magic Numbers other than they are folk rock with a bit of psychedilia thrown in, but will most certainly be looking for the full length.
The Magic Numbers got the NME Single of the Week a few months ago (for Hymn for Her). I bought a few of their tunes (Forever Lost is a great place to start) and it's good. Kosmo's description is on the money. Some of it is a little mellow, but the upbeat songs have a nice sunny vibe.

Apparently they were the hit of Glastonbury 2005, with a huge crowd singing along to all of the songs. Even the band members were somewhat blindsided by how popular they were.
oword

brennser

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 10:25:00 am »
nice job kosmo - very cool that the band were digging your stuff

eltee

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2005, 10:25:00 am »
Hey Kosmo. Good job. Saw lots of heads bobbin' and people groovin' in between sets. I especially like the selections after the Rosebuds.

bearman🐻

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2005, 09:08:00 am »
The Charlatans and Inspirals...AWESOME.

By the way, was anyone as totally blown away by this show as I was? "Did I Say" was friggin UNREAL. I thought this was easily one of the best concerts I've seen in a long time. Hearing almost all of "Grand Prix" was a huge bonus though  :)

Bags

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2005, 10:47:00 am »
Originally posted by bearman:
  By the way, was anyone as totally blown away by this show as I was? "Did I Say" was friggin UNREAL. I thought this was easily one of the best concerts I've seen in a long time. Hearing almost all of "Grand Prix" was a huge bonus though    :)  
So funny, I was completely unimpressed and left mid-encore (I wanted to leave earlier, but was with some folks).  They just weren't grabbing me, and somehow the harmonies were a bit annoying to me live.  I'm no doubt missing something, but a friend with me had the very same reaction.

As for the Rosebuds, I love those folks, but it wasn't my favorite show of theirs.  Of their 10 songs, 4 were from their album from 2003.  The rest were from a new E.P. released in May, and the songs have a different vibe -- not as poppy and upbeat (some of their old stuff has a surf feel sometimes).  I prefer sets of the old stuff. Still, a few people around me who didn't know them in advance really dug it.

Kosmo, brilliant sets, though I'm your worst audience because I talk and talk between bands.   ;)

Bags

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2005, 10:49:00 am »
Shout outs to redsock, pollard and chutney.  Pollard, I meant to get a chance to chat, but couldn't find you after the 'Buds.  And couldn't find Chutney to say bye. Bye!

eltee

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2005, 03:04:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
  Shout outs to redsock, pollard and chutney.  Pollard, I meant to get a chance to chat, but couldn't find you after the 'Buds.  And couldn't find Chutney to say bye. Bye!
Geez, you guys were all there? Snailhook asked if I had bumped into you, Bags. I told him it's been a bit; I might not recognize you! ;)
 I was kinda on the same page as you w/ the show. The Rosebuds are fun but not really something I'd listen to all the time. 3/4 the way through their set, I wasn't feeling 'em, so I roamed. I had fun w/ TFC. I had to trek out before encore though.

eltee

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2005, 03:13:00 pm »

ratioci nation

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2005, 03:24:00 pm »
 Pollard, I meant to get a chance to chat, but couldn't find you after the 'Buds.  
i was wandering around, thought i would see how it sounded from different spots

I actually left as soon as they played The Concept, I found a lot of the new material underwhelming, but absolutely wanted to hear that song

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2005, 05:12:00 pm »
   And couldn't find Chutney to say bye. Bye!
I was wandering around, checking things out from various spots too.  I love it when it's not crowded and I can do that.  I settled in up in the balcony.  They were pretty good, but they just weren't doing much for me.  I probably would have liked it more if I knew their material better.  

I thought The Rosebuds were good, even though they looked a little disinterested (with the exception of the drummer).  I was hoping for more from TheRosebudsMakeOut.  Their bouncier stuff is terrific.  I really like these guys.

Good running into Bags and redsock, as always.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2005, 01:54:00 am »

Kosmo, brilliant sets, though I'm your worst audience because I talk and talk between bands.    ;)  
Which is why I'm requesting an ejector button to be installed in the DJ booth upgrade...
T.Rex