Author Topic: Club Pixx  (Read 1004 times)

HoyaSaxa03

Club Pixx
« on: July 21, 2005, 02:50:00 pm »
FRIDAY

The latest in a crowded pack of new-new wave ??it? bands promoted by the notoriously rabid British music press, the Kaiser Chiefs ?? headlining at 930 Club ?? have taken their strict post-punk and power pop revivalist sound to the top of the British charts. Openers and fellow Brits The Cribs are well on their way towards a similar perfect storm of zealous media coverage and booming record sales.

Jaxx ?? the self-proclaimed ??Euro Metal Home? of DC ?? hosts American Metal Blast, a tour featuring washed up 80s hair metal groups W.A.S.P., L.A. Guns, Stephen Pearcy of Ratt, and Metal Church.

The latest in a string of 70s soft rockers to swing through Washington for cash-in reunion tours, Loggins & Messina take their soothing adult contemporary vibe to Merriweather Post Pavilion.

Local psychedelic noise rockers (The Sounds of) Kaleidoscope celebrate the release of a new album with a headlining gig on Black Cat??s mainstage. Other local groups Measles Mumps Rubella, Relay, and DJ Mark Zimin (of Mousetrap fame) open. Backstage is Get Yr Robot On, a dance party with DJ Madness featuring 80s classics and hip-hop.

SATURDAY

Local indie rock newcomers The Blackout ?? headlining at Velvet Lounge ?? feature a bluesy 60s vibe, a female lead singer, and enough electronic glitches and synth washes to keep their sound interesting. Close your eyes and visions of the Velvet Underground spring to mind.

A hair metal superstar as the frontman for Poison, Bret Michaels has taken an abrupt career turn with his transformation into a country artist. Headlining at Jaxx, Michaels is drumming up support for his first country release, appropriately titled ??Freedom of Sound.?

On Black Cat??s mainstage, Howard grad Eric Roberson has slowly become one of the hottest neo-soul artists in town. Mixing hip-hop beats with a silky tenor and an old-school vibe, Roberson??s live acts are not to be missed. Backstage is Bliss, an indie rock party hosted by DJ Will Eastman.

Gerald Albright, at the Birchmere tonight and Friday, was one of the biggest names in the 80s urban music world. The veteran saxophonist released numerous smooth jazz solo albums and recorded with superstars like Anita Baker, Quincy Jones, and Whitney Houston.

SUNDAY

The heavy metal answer to alt-rock??s Lollapalooza and pop-punk??s Warped Tour, Ozzfest throws the biggest names in metal together at Nissan Pavilion. The main stage features more established acts like Ozzie??s Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden, while the second stage includes relative newcomers like Killswitch Engage, As I Lay Dying, and Mastodon.

After her remarkable 1979 debut, Rickie Lee Jones was immediately saddled with ??the next Joni Mitchell? label. While Jones never reached superstardom, she has settled into a mature career with a cult fan base who appreciate her clever songwriting and distinctive voice.

Omaha slowcore quintet Neva Dinova, headlining at Iota with openers Mayday, have a dreamy, vaguely country sound full of open space and ambient noise.
(o|o)

Bags

Re: Club Pixx
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 12:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaParanoia:
 After her remarkable 1979 debut, Rickie Lee Jones was immediately saddled with ??the next Joni Mitchell? label. While Jones never reached superstardom, she has settled into a mature career with a cult fan base who appreciate her clever songwriting and distinctive voice.

So where is she playing?  I love her, by the way.

sonickteam2

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 12:29:00 pm »

A hair metal superstar as the frontman for Poison, Bret Michaels has taken an abrupt career turn with his transformation into a country artist. Headlining at Jaxx, Michaels is drumming up support for his first country release, appropriately titled ??Freedom of Sound.?

i dont really think its such an abrupt career turn. really, i think hair metal and country have/had a lot more in common than most people realize. and Poison always had some twang in their rock.

i bet his CD is worse than Bronson Arroyo's.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 12:34:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:

So where is she playing?  I love her, by the way. [/b]
oops. birchmere.
(o|o)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 12:36:00 pm »
  Local indie rock newcomers The Blackout ?? headlining at Velvet Lounge ?? feature a bluesy 60s vibe, a female lead singer, and enough electronic glitches and synth washes to keep their sound interesting. Close your eyes and visions of the Velvet Underground spring to mind.

i looked these guys up when i was doing research for this and really liked their sound ... check out their website http://www.theblackoutdc.com/ if you're into 60s stuff
(o|o)