Author Topic: The fall of DC local music metal scene/support (Strangel  (Read 3089 times)

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
The fall of DC local music metal scene/support (Strangel
« on: January 20, 2008, 04:54:00 pm »
Strangeland Records will be closing shop really soon and now Jay has posted that Jaxx is for sale. Guess this time he's serious!

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions
3MTA3

Re: The fall of DC local music metal scene/support (Strangel
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 05:42:00 pm »
Cool, maybe somebody will buy it and have good acts play.

helicon1

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 06:43:00 am »
Jaxx does have good acts play. Where else could I have seen Yngwie J. Malmsteen play?  It's also been a great outlet for local music to be featured on a big stage with a real sound system. Jaxx fits a nice  niche for the DC market and I would hate to see it go.

_adam

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 11:30:00 am »
plus, going to jaxx is a great excuse to go to that fucking amazing afghan restaurant next door.

Lambofgodfan

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 11:33:00 am »
I've never been to Jaxx but it seems like a pretty cool place. I've had a friend who went there once and he said it was full of a bunch of freaky goth people(in his words) and he was there to see a hardcore punk band play. It's only problem is that it seems to book just about anyone that has an electric 6 string guitar(talking about the opening bands and the countless nu metal acts that seem to play there). But like the last post said it does book soom quite special talent. It had King Diamond booked but sadly he canceled because of problems. Shit I think Ace Frehly from kiss even played there for 2 dates last month. Maybe it could move in to a better location like silver spring lol.

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 12:01:00 pm »
I'll agree with you that the Afghan place is good, but they'll let you in even if you're not headed to JAXX.

Originally posted by _adam:
  plus, going to jaxx is a great excuse to go to that fucking amazing afghan restaurant next door.

mekmad

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 12:12:00 pm »
Where else can you see Ace Frehley in the DC area?  Great show by the way..  :-)

Lambofgodfan

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 06:15:00 pm »
To call this the fall of the dc local metal scene is a jk. There was never a scene to begin with and I never even been to jaxx. I found it actually completly unrelated to the dc area. 930 has 4 metal concerts booked until march 6th and thats good enough for me.

RustyOrgan

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 09:53:00 am »
Wasn't The Velvet Lounge just sold?

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 10:04:00 am »
Yes. Maybe now they'll book stellar acts like Ace Frehley.   :roll:  

Originally posted by RustyOrgan:
  Wasn't The Velvet Lounge just sold?

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 12:55:00 pm »
Originally posted by Lambofgodfan:
  To call this the fall of the dc local metal scene is a jk. There was never a scene to begin with and I never even been to jaxx. I found it actually completly unrelated to the dc area. 930 has 4 metal concerts booked until march 6th and thats good enough for me.
Name one other venue close to DC that has as many LOCAL metal acts playing in a given week. The metal shows that come to 930 are national touring acts. You won't find a metal show at the 930 Club with 8-10 local metal bands performing. So with Jaxx out of the picture and Strangeland which also featured live local music on the weekends, it's a huge hit for these bands to be able to play out.  There's also a handful of shows, that the 930 Club "hands off" to smaller venues like Jaxx to keep them alive, and to help the artist out while on tour with a place to perform if they don't have that date open.

Because we know the Fillmore in Silver Spring is going to be starting to book a ton of local acts....riiiiiiiiiight!

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions
3MTA3

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 12:56:00 pm »
this post makes no sense.
_\|/_

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 02:52:00 pm »
Par for the course for a metal fan.

Originally posted by They call me Doctor Doom.:

this post makes no sense. [/b]

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 03:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by MindCage:
   8-10 local metal bands performing
seriously, this is how I imagine hell.

RonniStar

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 10:54:00 pm »
This sucks! I wrote about Strangeland Records in This Associated Content Article I wrote last year. I never got a chance to go inside the store, but this weekend could be my final chance.   The City Paper spoke to the owner of Strangeland Records about the store's closing.