Author Topic: VP debate tonight  (Read 44169 times)

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
Re: VP debate tonight
« Reply #165 on: October 04, 2008, 04:29:00 pm »
Originally posted by Julian, certified WEBLEBRITY:

Originally posted by They call me Doctor Doom.:
  It's amazing how eight years of misrule, dishonesty, incompetence, economic mismanagement, pandering to ill-educated Christian fanatics, and ideological demagoguery cause people to really want to not give the political party responsible for that another shot.
It's amazing how supposedly intelligent people are dumb enough to believe that every Republican is a neoconservative and every Democrat is a gay-marrying, aborted fetus eating hyperliberal. [/b]
it's amazing how some people who consider themselves above it all are actually too dumb to consider both parties' stated platforms and policy records while in power.
_\|/_

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #166 on: October 04, 2008, 08:27:00 pm »
Originally posted by manimtired:
  more creepiness for obama.

http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=188153
Classic...what's that fists together shit though?

That reminds me about the time Tyrone comes home and tells his dad they had gym class today and in the shower he noticed he had the biggest dick in 7th grade. "Is that coz I'm black?" asks the young man..."No son, it's because you're 19"

hutch

« Reply #167 on: October 05, 2008, 02:28:00 am »

Originally posted by They call me Doctor Doom.:
  It's amazing how eight years of misrule, dishonesty, incompetence, economic mismanagement, pandering to ill-educated Christian fanatics, and ideological demagoguery cause people to really want to not give the political party responsible for that another shot.
It's amazing how supposedly intelligent people are dumb enough to believe that every Republican is a neoconservative and every Democrat is a gay-marrying, aborted fetus eating hyperliberal. [/b]
don't matter...the reality is in a democratic system based around political parties you have to hold the incumbent party responsible..

its too bad for mccain but he's toast... you cant run on the banner of the party that ran the country into the ground- with your acquiescence- be it katrina, 9-11 (yes, they were in power they are responsible because it is the first job of government to keep its people safe... no excuses), and decimating the economy- and expect to be elected..

unless you live in either a sham democracy or the citizens are not citizens but idiots.

even people who dislike democrats or obama should be able to recognize this essential basic truth of democratic government...

• my blog
« Reply #168 on: October 05, 2008, 09:59:00 am »
They are going to use their empty-headed Barbie from now until the election to pile on heaps of negative and misleading accusations.  Other than the slackjaws who like her "cuz she's just like me doggone it," it's hard to see who will buy it at this point... It's a move of desperation.
_\|/_

shemptiness

« Reply #169 on: October 05, 2008, 10:10:00 am »
Atack ads coming.  I smell desperation.

"We're going to get a little tougher," a senior Republican operative said, indicating that a fresh batch of television ads is coming. "We've got to question this guy's associations. Very soon. There's no question that we have to change the subject here," said the operative, who was not authorized to discuss strategy and spoke on the condition of anonymity.

A senior campaign official called the ad "just the beginning" of commercials that will "strike the new tone" in the campaign's final days. The official said the "aggressive tone" will center on the question of "whether this guy is ready to be president."

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #170 on: October 05, 2008, 12:07:00 pm »
Originally posted by hutch:

[qb]  
unless you live in either a sham democracy or the citizens are not citizens but idiots.

... [/b]
Which we do! (electoral college) and we are a nation of idiots because you all re-elected Dubya Bush,

• my blog
« Reply #171 on: October 05, 2008, 03:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by Ever Circling Skeletal Family:

Originally posted by hutch:

[qb]  

... [/b]
Which we do! (electoral college) and we are a nation of idiots because you all re-elected Dubya Bush, [/b]
I would say that the nation is roughly 50% composed of idiots.   That is why the last couple of elections have been so close.
_\|/_

Venerable Bede

« Reply #172 on: October 05, 2008, 09:20:00 pm »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  congress has the power to confirm treaties and approve presidential appointments, so i suppose we could argue they are part of the executive branch as well
you could, but that would be a violation of the separation of powers and be unconstitutional.
OU812

godsshoeshine

« Reply #173 on: October 06, 2008, 10:07:00 am »
right, thats my point. i cant see how that would be unconstitutional and having an office that is elected like an exective, titled like an executive and is tied so much to the chief executive be part of the legislative branch.  i dont think you have to be a strict constructionist to see that it walks like an duck and quacks like a duck
o/\o

Venerable Bede

« Reply #174 on: October 06, 2008, 03:02:00 pm »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  right, thats my point. i cant see how that would be unconstitutional and having an office that is elected like an exective, titled like an executive and is tied so much to the chief executive be part of the legislative branch.  i dont think you have to be a strict constructionist to see that it walks like an duck and quacks like a duck
because the duties of the vice president are written into the constitution as part of the legislative branch.  let's just say that the constitution and the writers of the federalist papers did not hold a high opinion of the office of vice president.  remember, the original holder of that office was for the person who came in second in the electoral college and was to be the "president of the senate". . .that's how you end up with thomas jefferson as john adams' vice president.  vp's were not considered to part of a ticket, since the idea of political parties was one not held by the authors of the constitution.  other than noting that the vp is to succeed the president should the president die in office, the DUTIES of the vp are listed in article 1, which deals with the legislature.

but whatever. . .my original point was to note that biden's interpretation of the constitution about the vp was not terribly accurate. . .the role and duties of the VP are in article 1.  even the washington post got it.  biden is simply wrong on the constitutional role and underpinnings of the vp.

what we are really arguing about is the abuse of power by the vp to use the protections afforded legislative offices while making executive policies. . .which, as the wapo article notes, as does the law review article, is a potential violation of the separation of powers by delegating an executive power to a legislative official.  which i don't necessarily disagree with you on.
OU812

walkonby

« Reply #175 on: October 06, 2008, 03:15:00 pm »
but palin would look great on her own money.  she could solve our financial crisis with her own "designer dollars."  in various colours, too.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #176 on: October 06, 2008, 03:23:00 pm »
id argue that the electoral college is a system to elect executives, and the role of president of the senate is the chief executive of the senate. plus the rules for electing the vp are in article 2, not to mention again that article 2 does give the legislature powers as well.

but yeah, the article 1 part of bidens comments are wrong. i think he might have said the argument for the vp being part of legislature and then tried to refute it, but if so did not do a very good job

that wapo article uses the same source as you used before, by the way
o/\o

walkonby

« Reply #177 on: October 06, 2008, 03:25:00 pm »
and a fashion line.  united colours of palintton.

thirsty moore

« Reply #178 on: October 06, 2008, 03:28:00 pm »
Nick Cave puts on some good concerts.

walkonby

« Reply #179 on: October 06, 2008, 03:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by econo:
  Nick Cave puts on some good concerts.
but can he shoot large wild animals and look cute doing it?