Author Topic: VP debate tonight  (Read 44180 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: VP debate tonight
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2008, 11:17:00 pm »
Originally posted by wanderlust j. marshmallow:
  Tina Fey did so good tonite.
runner-up for POTW.
<sig>

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2008, 11:32:00 pm »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
  10:01 - did biden just say "bosniaks"?!? (instead of bosnians)... i could be wrong here, but sure sounded funny.
Bosniak is actually a correct term -- it describes Bosnian Muslims (as opposed to Bosnian Serbs or Croats).
_\|/_

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2008, 11:43:00 pm »
indeed, i stand corrected (or maybe "updated" is better... i did say i could be wrong).

so, who "won"?  who helped their party the most?  i don't share CNN's poll's rosy outlook on biden's performance.  he did fine, but i wouldn't give him anything near a victory.
<sig>

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2008, 11:49:00 pm »
i think biden won by being able to go after mccain and defending obama against palin's fact stretching... i think they both helped their parties, but biden will probably sway some undecided voters... and does palin really think america is going to want her to pull a cheney if she were vp?
T.Rex

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2008, 11:59:00 pm »
Biden came across very well, and in a sense I suppose he won.  

I was glad to see Biden go strongly after Palin's ridiculous "maverick" talk.  There needs to be a lot more of that.

The downside is that Palin's ratings were falling precipitously over the last few days, as she was ever more widely regarded as a joke.  She held her own in the debate, so unfortunately I think some people will reevaluate their reevaluation of her.

The aw-shucks manner she displayed is offensive to anyone of intelligence, but it will go over well with those who are not bright enough to recognize that leading a country requires some depth and intelligence.   It worked well for Reagan after all.
_\|/_

hutch

« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2008, 12:04:00 am »
Biden did great. Very impressed. He talked specifics and his answers were seasoned, reasoned and logical. He came across as a nice and caring man.

Obviously, with Obama up 6 points in the national polls they told him "DONT FUCK IT UP PLAY IT COOL!" and thats what he did...There is no "Did Edwards just bring up Cheney's lesbian daughter" moment here...

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2008, 12:08:00 am »
my mini-conspiracy theory: the whole palin-effing-up-interviews thing was a set-up.  she only had one debate to impress TV viewers, so she deliberately presented herself as incompetent beforehand in order to lower expectations for the debate.  she did just fine, as one would otherwise expect, and her performance was notable only because people were expecting her to eff up.  to that extent, she succeeded.
<sig>

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2008, 12:13:00 am »
its not that she f-ed up the other interviews - the problem is couric asked the same question repeatedly so she would answer it which we know she couldnt (wouldnt). i mean really, maverick, does it matter what i say, maverick - yup yup Charlie.

the difference here was she never answered a damn question with an answer that went with the said question. if she actually had to answer a question that was asked - it would have been more of the same.

so naturally she did fine. she played to her core audience of being cute and pretty and acting like most of us are idiot americans (to which a good chunk of us are hence another 4 years of W). a friend who has been working far too much saw her speak for the first time tonight. he was beyond horrified.
HeyLa

Mobius

« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2008, 12:29:00 am »
it was definitely an active high energy affair. both were sharp and effective.  Palin was able to display great ring generalship, seizing the initiative, and got away with laying out talking points in lieu of answering a lot of questions.  She seemed to be able to steer any question to how Alaska is ready to help us down here craving that energy and hungering for that oil if those people in Washington would let them cut taxes and create jobs, or something.  Biden did a good job counterpunching.  I think he scored a late knockdown when he addressed the idea that McCain isn't a Maverick on anything important to the American people.  I thought that gets to the heart of Palin's tactics - she paints a pretty, positive picture and says stuff like John McCain is a maverick  . . . but is there meaningful truth behind the words?  is there evidence?  evidence that they would distinguish themselves from the Bush years despite being ideologically aligned with Bush?  i did not hear it from her . . . just pretty pictures.

Mr.Whippy

« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2008, 07:28:00 am »
Originally posted by xneverwherex:
  a friend who has been working far too much saw her speak for the first time tonight. he was beyond horrified.
I had never heard her speak before either and I was pretty horrified.  Did she really endearingly refer to the average american as "Joe 6 pack".

Mobius

« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2008, 07:37:00 am »
Originally posted by Itouchmyself:

a friend who has been working far too much saw her speak for the first time tonight. he was beyond horrified.
I had never heard her speak before either and I was pretty horrified.  Did she really endearingly refer to the average american as "Joe 6 pack". [/b]
Maybe she was referring to people with 6 Pack Abs.  

There was something creepy about her talking about how nuclear weapons would be bad for that part of the world that was wiped out (I forget the exact quote) and then about American Grandparents telling their Grandkids about what Freedom was like. Where did that come from?  She also used the "they hate us because of our freedom" line.  It was lowest common demonator fearmongering all pretty with a bow.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2008, 07:44:00 am »
i think you meant "with lipstick"  :p
<sig>

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2008, 07:49:00 am »
Originally posted by Itouchmyself:

I had never heard her speak before either and I was pretty horrified.  Did she really endearingly refer to the average american as "Joe 6 pack". [/b]
You're darn-tootin right she did!

« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2008, 07:49:00 am »
Glen Beck?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/01/beck.future/index.html

Originally posted by Mobius:

There was something creepy about her talking about how nuclear weapons would be bad for that part of the world that was wiped out (I forget the exact quote) and then about American Grandparents telling their Grandkids about what Freedom was like. Where did that come from?  

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2008, 08:12:00 am »
Originally posted by Mobius:

There was something creepy about her talking about how nuclear weapons would be bad for that part of the world that was wiped out (I forget the exact quote) and then about American Grandparents telling their Grandkids about what Freedom was like. Where did that come from?  She also used the "they hate us because of our freedom" line.  It was lowest common demonator fearmongering all pretty with a bow. [/b]
No shit...do people in this country really feel as though their freedoms are threatened by foreign foes?

Funny, seeing as the only thing that has really been threatening our freedoms is the Bush administration and its assault on civil liberties