Author Topic: WOLFMOTHER WEDNESDAY  (Read 7490 times)

ggw

Re: WOLFMOTHER WEDNESDAY
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2007, 01:45:00 pm »
I thought it was a very good show, but possibly short of great.  Wolfmother gets good marks for playing a 90-minute set, considering that they really only have one album.  Unfortunately, that means they tried to extend some of the songs, which, as Relaxer pointed out, doesn't always work.  I think the crowd is partly to blame though.  Anytime the band would stray from the power chords and into some psychedelic noodling, the people around me would start conversations with one another.  They did this even during the middle of White Unicorn.  But you need that extended ethereal pause to serve as a counterpoint and a prologue to that headbanging breakdown that comes at the four-minute mark.  

Nonetheless, it was a solid set and I would go see them again in a heartbeat.  Anybody that namechecks Trans Am as their inspiration for picking up the electric guitar is all right in my book.

And I liked Die!³

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2007, 05:17:00 pm »
That was the best show i've seen Wolfmother play and that was my 3rd time seeing them. They were spot on, I wanna say the Black Cat show was better, but that shit last night was fucking stellar! Only downside was getting tons of drinks spilt on me and drunk chicks tripping, falling, and grabbing my arms.

Totally awesome though.
‼‼?‼‼

secretsquirrel

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2007, 06:48:00 pm »
I had heard that they were covering Communication Breakdown in their shows, so I was really hoping to hear it. Not hearing CB was really the only downside for me. (Anyone know if they played it at Black Cat? I really wanted to go to that show but couldn't due to exams    :mad:    )

I didn't really mind the "psychedelic noodling".. gave me a chance to look around and see anyone was going to bump into me within the next couple seconds. Maybe they've played better shows, but I thought this was pretty good.

What really surprised me was the bassist... he had so much energy, was always rocking the keyboards back and forth, whereas it seemed like the guitarist/singer was less relaxed and was more focused on singing the notes exactly right.

I agree on needing ear plugs, it was the loudest I've heard the club.
I think a lot of it depends on where you are in the club. Like if you're in the back and most of the stacks are blowing in your face.. it's going to be pretty painful (at least it is for me).

I remember I went to Slickee Boys a while ago, and I didn't really want to go up front because I thought it'd be louder, but once I got up there, I thought it was more bearable. (Maybe I'm just crazy, but try moving around and see if that helps).

lukiedookie89

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2007, 07:15:00 pm »
Did they play anything in the encore after Colossal?  I left because I was worried about catching metro but I guess I could have stayed.  Really fun show, though.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2007, 07:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
    I think the crowd is partly to blame though.  Anytime the band would stray from the power chords and into some psychedelic noodling, the people around me would start conversations with one another.

From someone who loves a good pot of psychedelic noodling, people like that drive me crazy. It's just so rude! Even if you don't like it yourself; or whatever is being played; you just shut the fuck up out of courtesy to the band and everyone else.

To Wolfman1979:

What do you expect? You're the Wolfman and it was Wolfmother Wednesday. You hit audience Rock star status. Of course you were going to have your crazy groupies falling all over you.   :D

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2007, 09:19:00 pm »
Originally posted by lukas:
  Did they play anything in the encore after Colossal?  I left because I was worried about catching metro but I guess I could have stayed.  Really fun show, though.
The encore:

Vagabond
 Colossal
 Joker & The Thief
‼‼?‼‼

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2007, 09:23:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguar:

To Wolfman1979:

What do you expect? You're the Wolfman and it was Wolfmother Wednesday. You hit audience Rock star status. Of course you were going to have your crazy groupies falling all over you.    :D  
I mean.... I wasn't going to brag or anything...But alright.
‼‼?‼‼

georgewendt

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2007, 12:15:00 pm »
It's pretty funny how easily some of y'all get offended (Charlie N., jeffml).  
 The point I was trying to make is how amazed I am that, at almost every show, there are people not being a part of the event.  Look, if you went to the opera, you'd expect a certain amount of decorum from the audience and you'd certainly call security if some guy started slam dancing with your wife.  It just doesn't go with the situation.  
 Similarly, when I come to the 930 club to see Wolfmother kick some ass, it doesn't make sense that there are people standing stock still and emotionless for the show's entirety.  I just don't buy the whole "I'm appreciating the art" bit.  Even an opera crowd will smile at some point, but no one ever accused a mannequin of having a good time and that's all I'm looking for.

nkotb

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2007, 12:24:00 pm »
Or maybe...just maybe...people have different ideas of "having fun" than you do.  Shocking!

Originally posted by georgewendt:
  It's pretty funny how easily some of y'all get offended (Charlie N., jeffml).  
 The point I was trying to make is how amazed I am that, at almost every show, there are people not being a part of the event.  Look, if you went to the opera, you'd expect a certain amount of decorum from the audience and you'd certainly call security if some guy started slam dancing with your wife.  It just doesn't go with the situation.  
 Similarly, when I come to the 930 club to see Wolfmother kick some ass, it doesn't make sense that there are people standing stock still and emotionless for the show's entirety.  I just don't buy the whole "I'm appreciating the art" bit.  Even an opera crowd will smile at some point, but no one ever accused a mannequin of having a good time and that's all I'm looking for.

K8teebug

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2007, 12:52:00 pm »
I look stupid when I dance, so I usually stand still.

you probably look stupid when you dance too.  Most people do.

georgewendt

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2007, 01:40:00 pm »
 I was one of the people standing and enjoying the show. Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone. I was however, moving my head and may have even been tapping my feet so maybe I wasn't as offensive as others just standing and watching the show
Sigh.  Maybe I'll understand when I get old.

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2007, 02:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by georgewendt:

I was one of the people standing and enjoying the show. Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone. I was however, moving my head and may have even been tapping my feet so maybe I wasn't as offensive as others just standing and watching the show
Sigh.  Maybe I'll understand when I get old. [/b]
When you are old, will you even be going to the Wolfmother show?

georgewendt

« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2007, 02:56:00 pm »
Oh, dude I so hope so.  If I stop seeing the wolfmothers of the world, then it's time to end it all.  I mean that's when I need to plan the skydiving and shark diving trip.