Author Topic: The 2009 Albums Thread  (Read 196051 times)

Re: The 2009 Albums Thread
« Reply #165 on: February 18, 2009, 08:13:24 am »
the next trainwreck or the next supergroup?

NEW YORK (Billboard) ? Former Smashing Pumpkins guitarist James Iha, Cheap Trick drummer Bun E. Carlos, Hanson's Taylor Hanson and Fountains of Wayne bassist Adam Schlesinger have formed a new band, Tinted Windows.
The group has recorded its debut album at Stratosphere Sound Studios in New York, which Schlesinger and Iha co-own with Ivy's Andy Chase. A spring release is planned, on a label to be announced.

Relaxer

« Reply #166 on: February 18, 2009, 11:25:05 am »
The next supergroup, alongside Talk Show, the Heads, Alter Bridge, Sparta and Yeti.

Meanwhile, U2's newest one leaked last night.
oword

« Reply #167 on: February 18, 2009, 11:38:10 am »
I bet they all leaked last night. Given their advancing age, probably more than once.

Meanwhile, U2's newest one leaked last night.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #168 on: February 21, 2009, 04:36:41 pm »
Pilot Speed (formerly just "Pilot"), from toronto, will be releasing an album in april.  they opened for the dears some time back (2006?) and i thought they were really great (infinitely better than The National, who were openers #2 - ugh).  i'm excited to hear that they'll be touring again.  not sure how good their recorded output is, but their live show is highly recommended.

New Album + Tracklist

Hey friends,

We've got some exciting news. The new record will be out April 2009 on iTunes, and in good old fashioned compact-disc format in the US and Canada, from the lovely people at Wind-Up Records and MapleMusic Recordings, respectively. It's called Wooden Bones.....which is also the title of a song some of you may of heard us play last time we hit the road. Most of it was completed here in Toronto and NYC with our new friend Kevin Killen steering the ship

Here's the tracklisting:
1 Put The Phone Down
2 Light You Up
3 Bluff
4 Ain't No Life
5 Up On The Bridge
6 Where Does It Begin?
7 What Is Real, What Is Doubt
8 Today I Feel Sure
9 Midnight Fires
10 Wooden Bones
11 Open Arms

The first single is Put The Phone Down, which should be hitting the airwaves this week, with a video to accompany it towards the end of March. We're also planning to start streaming different new tracks for your listening pleasure in the coming weeks on the ol' interweb. Keep checking our MySpace page for a preview of the new record starting with "Put The Phone Down"

Live dates are starting to come together, we'll have some more info on this real soon.

You know, it's been a somewhat long process for us.... it's hard to believe our last record was in '06. Even Axl Rose managed to get his record out between then and now. But on the upside we're really excited about this new music and what it means as a step forward for this band... and we really look forward to letting you hear it. As always, thanks for your patience and support. We hope you enjoy listening to it as much as we enjoyed creating it.

Love,
Pilot Speed
http://www.myspace.com/pilotspeed 

<sig>

Ardamus

• Ardamus
« Reply #169 on: February 23, 2009, 09:49:20 am »
shameless promo and plug for my album; i know i'm new but forgive me. if you like raw hip hop, check me out, please.....

snippets of the album are on Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/When-Nothing-Goes-Right-Explicit/dp/B0012XMDHW/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1235396902&sr=8-1

Relaxer

« Reply #170 on: February 23, 2009, 10:41:58 am »
Spent much of the weekend digging the new Mastodon. It's much more mellow, and all the Remission dorks are going to get their panties in a-twitter, but it's a very good album. Am especially looking forward to getting the actual release because the leak's SQ is pretty bad and it sounds like the guitars are monstrous on this thing.

Just grabbed the new Yeah Yeah Yeahs album and will listen to it when I go running at lunch.
oword

edbert

« Reply #171 on: February 23, 2009, 02:00:13 pm »
first track from the new Phoenix album is out and sounds great

azaghal1981

« Reply #172 on: February 23, 2009, 02:03:35 pm »
New LSD March album is really good so far. Floyd-esque Japanese psych.

Mellow and accessible as far as Japanese psych goes, too.
احمد

jd930

« Reply #173 on: February 25, 2009, 11:07:11 am »
XTC to reissue Dukes of Stratosphear material with previously unreleased stuff, due in the late spring

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/149376-xtc-to-reissue-dukes-of-stratosphear-side-project

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #174 on: February 25, 2009, 05:13:33 pm »
Most excellent news on the Dukes of the Stratosphere reissue..

and the just released Phoenix track which reminds of their first album, along with the one that's been available for awhile on love.cartier.com, indicate the new record is going to be tres bein
T.Rex

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #175 on: February 25, 2009, 05:32:07 pm »
XTC to reissue Dukes of Stratosphear material with previously unreleased stuff, due in the late spring

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/149376-xtc-to-reissue-dukes-of-stratosphear-side-project

Vinyl fetishism has no bounds it seems. Someone should tell the Pitchfork folk that in 1985 it was still very common for releases to be vinyl-only.
😐 🎶

azaghal1981

« Reply #176 on: March 01, 2009, 01:41:54 pm »
The new Wolves in the Throne Room leaked recently.

In case environmentally conscious black metal performed by dudes who live in the woods is anyone here's thing.

Edit: this is scary. And awesome. I'm suddenly in the mood to sacrifice an animal ritualistically. Off to petsmart for some bunny shopping...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 02:24:03 pm by azaghal1981 »
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #177 on: March 05, 2009, 11:05:11 am »
according to a sidebar note in Rolling Stone, Sonic Youth are currently writing songs for a 2009 studio album.

titled "The Eternal", out on 6/09. click here for track listing, cover art, and random musings.

http://spin.com/articles/album-preview-sonic-youths-eternal
http://www.buyearlygetnow.com/info/7/
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #178 on: March 06, 2009, 11:50:07 am »
SFA unveil entire new record in gig webcast!

At 8pm GMT on March 16th log onto superfurry.com to see a gig webcast - its the first airing of the new album, Dark days/Light Years and you'll be able to see the band playing the new album in its entirety

You can buy the new album immediately from 8pm UK time on March 16 from superfurry.com on MP3 download...there will also be options to pre-order it on CD, which will be available from April 13.

Expect to start hearing tracks from DD/LY on the radio and online from next week - Inaugural Trams features Nick from Franz Ferdinand doing a German rap, so worth looking out for!

The full tracklisting is -

DARK DAYS/LIGHT YEARS

Crazy Naked Girls
The Very Best Of Neil Diamond
Moped Eyes
Inagural Trams
Inconvenience
Cardiff In The Sun
Mountain
Helium Hearts
White Socks/Flip Flops
Where Do You Wanna Go
Lliwiau Llachar
Pric
<sig>

Shiverintheshadows

« Reply #179 on: March 12, 2009, 05:36:59 pm »
Yes!!

Sun Gangs by The Veils

Released: Apr 07 2009

1. Sit Down By The Fire 
2. Sun Gangs 
3. The Letter 
4. Killed By The Boom 
5. It Hits Deep 
6. Three Sisters 
7. The House She Lived In 
8. Scarecrow 
9. Larkspur 
10. Begin Again 

The Veils are Finn Andrews, (vocals, guitar, piano, New Zealand) Sophia Burn, (bass, New Zealand) Dan Raishbrook (guitar, odd noise, England) and Henning Dietz (drums, Germany). Sun Gangs is their third album, and without a doubt their finest to date.

By turns epic, desolate, wildly romantic and anguished, Sun Gangs is a bold and distinctive record described by Finn as ?a very modern mixture of prayers, love letters and personal record keeping?. Produced by Graham Sutton (Jarvis Cocker / British Sea Power / Bark Psychosis) it is their most ambitious record yet ranging from the yearning elegy of ?Sit Down By The Fire?, to the charred, mantis-like groove of ?Killed By The Boom? - this is a record unlike many we are likely to hear this year.

So many stories, words, tones and ideas punctuate its gradually unfolding landscape as that incomparable voice cries and hollers. ??Sit Down By The Fire? is about watching something collapse, and it being quite pretty to look at,? offers Finn. ??Killed By The Boom? is possibly about The Wire?s Omar Little. ?It Hits Deep? is about being a man, in a bar alone, on a tropical island resort, as the light gets dim and the world goes fuzzy. ?Larkspur? is somewhere else entirely.?

?I really wanted to write something that hangs together in perhaps a not so obvious way; not just some collection of singles but a real voyage into something, something strange and unspecific but totally emotionally consuming. It?s also kinda just a break-up record in many ways.?

Finn?s father Barry Andrews was a founding member of the highly influential group XTC in the late 1970s, later going on to tour with the likes of Robert Fripp & Brian Eno, Iggy Pop & David Bowie.

In younger days in Auckland, thousands of miles away from his father, Finn sang at a folk club up a volcano, and sidelined a desire to paint when he began hearing musicians like Tom Waits, Nina Simone, Leonard Cohen, Roy Orbison & Bob Dylan - contemplating that there was perhaps more to life than the bleeping Eighties electronica and early days of New Wave which had surrounded his first London foray.

In Sun Gangs The Veils have brought Finn?s early influences full circle, and created a record that truly lives up to the huge promise and talent that they have always exhibited.

Sign up on the Veils mailing list to receive a FREE download of Three Sisters or visit the Beggars USA site to listen to AND download Killed By The Boom