Author Topic: So I saw Leonard Cohen  (Read 33606 times)

bellenseb

Re: So I saw Leonard Cohen
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2009, 01:32:28 am »
Leonard Cohen
May 11
Merriweather

!!!!!!!!!!!!

runwhiteyrun06

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2009, 10:29:20 am »
I'm going to buy tickets on the presale monday. I'm honestly surprised he's playing Merriweather, and I'm also surprised how few U.S. shows he's playing.

Oh well, at least I will get to see him, even though I'm going to have to find a ride up from College Park to Merriweather during finals week.

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2009, 10:32:29 am »
Count me surprised as well. A 75 year old semi-cult figure with seemingly no appeal to the mainstream under 30 crowd playing Merriweather? I bet tickets don't move so fast on this one.

runwhiteyrun06

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2009, 10:36:43 am »
Count me surprised as well. A 75 year old semi-cult figure with seemingly no appeal to the mainstream under 30 crowd playing Merriweather? I bet tickets don't move so fast on this one.

See, that's the thing I have been pondering the last few days, will these concerts sell or not? The New York Concert sold out in minutes and he sold out the O2 arena in London on multiple nights. The American audience is of course different, but I think he has appeal. With such few U.S. dates, Merriweather could still draw a crowd.

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2009, 10:50:18 am »
Merriweather capacity=16,500, suburban MD location accessible by car only
Beacon capactiy=2800, NYC location accessible by all modes of transport

Need I compare the population of NYC vs. DC/Baltimore?
Or the hipster quotient of NYC vs. DC/Baltimore?

London is in a foreign country, so not really comparable...though certainly more comparable to NYC than DC/Baltimore.

See, that's the thing I have been pondering the last few days, will these concerts sell or not? The New York Concert sold out in minutes and he sold out the O2 arena in London on multiple nights. The American audience is of course different, but I think he has appeal. With such few U.S. dates, Merriweather could still draw a crowd.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2009, 11:00:41 am »
I would guess that the pavilion at merriweather will sellout quickly and what ever tickets are sold for the lawn are considered gravy....  just consider it a 5k venue with bleachers
T.Rex

Lazer Guided Melodies

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2009, 12:42:46 pm »
I will definitely be at the June 2 Red Rocks show. 

Vas Deferens

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2009, 01:28:42 pm »
Phenomenal 3 hour show and what a dream setlist! REALLY, REALLY surprised at how great he sounded and you could hear every word he sings! He was backed by some really great musicians and three back up singers (one of which played the harp...)  Some songs were rearranged, with sax parts for "Bird on the Wire", and an extended bandurria guitar intro for "Who By Fire". I'm not sure it was worth it for the people who paid $250 to be up close but *definitely* worth the ~$100 I spent in the lower balcony (plus, the Beacon is small). MUST SEE HIM AGAIN!  ;D

I saw the singer from Pains of Being Pure at Heart during the intermission ;)

------------------------------------
Beacon Theater setlist

Dance Me To The End of Love
The Future
Aint No Cure For Love
Bird on the Wire
Everybody Knows
In My Secret Life
Who By Fire
Chelsea Hotel
Hey That's No Way To Say Goodbye
Sisters of Mercy
Anthem

Tower Song
Suzanne
The Gypsy's Wife
The Partisan
Boogie Street
Hallelujah
I'm Your Man
A Thousand Kisses Deep
Take This Waltz

So Long Marianne
First We Take Manhattan

Famous Blue Raincoat  :o
If It Be Your Will
Democracy  :o

I Tried To Leave You
Whither Thou Goest
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 01:31:00 pm by wanderlust j. sweetcheex »
(_|_)

vansmack

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2009, 01:29:40 pm »
Bucharest.  Great choice for a thirtieth.  Hope it was good one....
27>34

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2009, 02:17:57 pm »
Any idea on ticket prices for this?  I've recently started listening to Mr. Cohen, and, since I see myself falling in love with him in the future, I'm most likely going to see the Merriweather show.  Plus, it's timed perfectly after the end of the spring semester...

runwhiteyrun06

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2009, 02:43:34 pm »
Any idea on ticket prices for this?  I've recently started listening to Mr. Cohen, and, since I see myself falling in love with him in the future, I'm most likely going to see the Merriweather show.  Plus, it's timed perfectly after the end of the spring semester...

I'm guessing around 80 for good seats near the front. Probably 40 for lawn seats.

Your semester will be over? Lucky, the concert is going to be during finals week for me.

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2009, 02:46:15 pm »

I'm guessing around 80 for good seats near the front. Probably 40 for lawn seats.

Your semester will be over? Lucky, the concert is going to be during finals week for me.

Hmm, $40 sounds reasonable. 

I found out today that the last possible exam for me (VCU) is May 8th.  But I'll likely be done before then.  So this can be my end of semester celebratory concert.  Just like the conveniently timed Wilco show in Baltimore last December.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2009, 06:38:43 pm »
(_|_)

MonkeyPants

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2009, 05:13:26 pm »

ticket prices - US $40.00 - US $250.00!   :o

I assume $40 is for lawn...
PANTS

runwhiteyrun06

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2009, 05:35:43 pm »
Where did you find prices?

There's a presale Monday. Except I'm in class when it starts, drats.