Author Topic: smashing pumpkins  (Read 4435 times)

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
Re: smashing pumpkins
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2007, 11:05:00 pm »
Gish rocked my world...saw them for free about a week after it came out with 100 other people.  We'd never heard them before, but it was free so why not....

Bought the record the next day.  They really killed live.

That said, i've never had an interest in any of their other albums or seeing them again during their arena years, original lineup or not.  But Gish was a shining moment in a blurry drunken year of my life.  Good times.  Guitars all day and all night.  Mudhoney, Nirvana, The Fluid, Stooges, Pumkins, Thee Hypnotics.....things were loud that year.

And Gish was a great album to play while doing the nasty.....just thought I'd mention that.

Darth Ed

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2007, 08:29:00 pm »
Gish was great and all, but I don't think it's even close to the be-all, end-all of the Smashing Pumpkins (or Corgan's) oeuvre. I'm not really willing to pick one album over another. I think they're all pretty damn good in different ways. Probably the only Smashing Pumpkins album I'm not all that crazy about is MACHINA, but I always end up liking it whenever I give it a listen.

I couldn't care less whether Corgan is an asshole or a big baby or an egotist. It should be and is about the music, as far as I'm concerned, and I think it's great stuff. The Smashing Pumpkins are certainly one of the best bands of the '90s. I really enjoyed Zwan, too. I do think Corgan lost his way a bit with TheFutureEmbrace. I believe he's admitted as much, and that's part of why he's reuniting with Jimmy Chamberlin. If they release a new album, I'll be right in line to buy it.

Arthwys

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2007, 10:45:00 pm »
Siamese Dream was the about the 4th album I ever bought.  It was and still remains one of the most amazing albums I've ever heard.  My personal take is that as a band they were fantastically interesting album by album.  Gish to start things rolling, SD topped it by about a million miles, and Mellon Collie was pretty much insane.  Overblown and gargantuan, but still great as far being eclectic and adventurous.  I rather the fact that losing jimmy for a while enabled them to explore some softer more electronica sounds for just one album, then the two Machina albums just put everything together for me.  It seemed like a decent run and that they had ended up full circle and on a high note.  Only problem was, never got around to seeing them.  So even this new incarnation will be heaven for me, and as long as it's Billy and Jimmy, it doesn't really matter who else as long as their competent.
Emrys

Driveway

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2007, 03:39:00 pm »
Melissa is not in the band, I believe she has said so herself, which is sad.  I might be one of the few people who really liked Corgan's solo album.  I listen to it weekly almost.  I'm not sure how Smashing Pumpkins will be now.  I don't see how it will be any different from Zwan at the end of the day.  I'll get the album and go to the shows.  I hope its a good ride, but I am kinda skeptical.

bnyced0

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2007, 10:00:00 am »
Originally posted by Darth Ed:
  Gish was great and all, but I don't think it's even close to the be-all, end-all of the Smashing Pumpkins (or Corgan's) oeuvre. I'm not really willing to pick one album over another. I think they're all pretty damn good in different ways. Probably the only Smashing Pumpkins album I'm not all that crazy about is MACHINA, but I always end up liking it whenever I give it a listen.

I couldn't care less whether Corgan is an asshole or a big baby or an egotist. It should be and is about the music, as far as I'm concerned, and I think it's great stuff. The Smashing Pumpkins are certainly one of the best bands of the '90s. I really enjoyed Zwan, too. I do think Corgan lost his way a bit with TheFutureEmbrace. I believe he's admitted as much, and that's part of why he's reuniting with Jimmy Chamberlin. If they release a new album, I'll be right in line to buy it.
Amen, finally a voice of reason (well if not exactly reason at least one I agree with).  I think you have to take the catalog as a whole as the albums complement one another very well, so I expect something different yet complementary to everything else. It will be Pumpkin-esque I imagine and I don't care who's in the band, as "cool" as it would be to get Darcy out of rehab, and placate James fractured ego the bottom line is the voice, songwriting, and bottom (Jimmy) of the sound will be there and that's good enough for me.  I was watching a video from the Adore pre-tour they did in europe, and they had 3 percussionists during Jimmy's absence (not necessarily because of his absence) and it made me laugh.

Anyway I'm going to the Paris show and Pink Pop festival so I'll give a first hand account of whether this lives up to pumpkin lore, merely starts a new chapter, or not worthy of the name.

My first SP show was at a fetish club in Hollywood back in 1990 prior to the gish release, still have a footprint on the t-shirt I got at that show with all the flailing around.  At that point I thought if they put out an album they could easily open for Janes Addiction at the Pallidium or headline the Troubador....little did I know...

Darth Ed

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2007, 02:06:00 am »
Originally posted by bnyced0:
 Anyway I'm going to the Paris show and Pink Pop festival so I'll give a first hand account of whether this lives up to pumpkin lore, merely starts a new chapter, or not worthy of the name.
Please do, bnyced0. I look forward to reading your accounts of those shows!

RustyOrgan

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2007, 08:29:00 am »
Looking forward to the new record - Upset that it's not the original lineup...

Darth Ed

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2007, 01:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by RustyOrgan:
"Upset"? Really? I never thought D'Arcy and Iha had all that much input into the SP albums anyway.

sonickteam2

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2007, 01:53:00 pm »
Originally posted by Darth Ed:

"Upset"? Really? I never thought D'Arcy and Iha had all that much input into the SP albums anyway. [/b]
i think that bands like this survive because of nostalgia...sure i remember when SP came out and my girlfriend at the time would play it over and over again...and wrote "pumpkins" all over bookbag and such....so seeing them would be ok cause it'd take me back.

however, its not just hearing the songs...its seeing "them" play them...and without most of them  it's just not going to be the same.

theres something neat about standing in a crowd as a 30 year old...watching some band and thinking...we all did this 15 years ago!!! like a re-union between the band and the fans....new lineups just cant provide that same feeling..in my opinion.

maybe that doesnt make sense, though.

RustyOrgan

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2007, 02:01:00 pm »
No, it makes complete sense. It's a visual thing. Jerry wrote most of the good Alice In Chains songs but the band just isn't the same w/o Layne. Seeing Metallica would be 'off' due to Jason's departure. (I'm trying to think of more examples here...)
 With Nine Inch Nails it was always Trent's band (such as Smashing Pumpkins is Billy's band) but visually SP have always been Billy, James, D'arcy and Jimmy while NIN has been revolving with every album (to some extent). Seeing Melissa play with SP at Patriot Center was a drag. Seeing SP play w/o D'arcy AND James will REALLY suck regardless of how good the new songs are. I'd still go see them but fuck V Fest and fuck the Police.

thatguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2007, 03:56:00 pm »
 Seeing Metallica would be 'off' due to Jason's departure.

interesting age difference here, as some would say that metallica shows with jason were "off" due to cliff burton's absence.

sonickteam2

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2007, 04:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by thatguy:

interesting age difference here, as some would say that metallica shows with jason were "off" due to cliff burton's absence. [/b]
now you're really dating yourself!!!!

my first metallica show...1989 with the cult...when i was 12!!!   but that was with Jason..presumably the first tour he did with them?

thatguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2007, 04:07:00 pm »
Originally posted by le sonick:

my first metallica show...1989 with the cult...when i was 12!!!   but that was with Jason..presumably the first tour he did with them?
burton died in '86, and newsted joined the band a couple of months later.  i think his first tour was to support ...and justice for all, which would've been the one you saw.  that was a great show.

i never got to see burton play, but i thought it was interesting how perceptions change over time.    the guy called "newkid" for years might've been the longest standing bassist for the band, but he would not be part of the "ideal lineup" for most metallica fans from when i was listening to them.

bnyced0

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2007, 04:13:00 pm »

interesting age difference here, as some would say that metallica shows with jason were "off" due to cliff burton's absence. [/b]
EX-PHUCKIN-ACTLY, forgetting Cliff is sacrilege and anyone doing so should be banned from any Metallica show in the future for saying that shit! In fact you just forfeited the right to listen to  any Metallica record, and Hell being banned from the country shouldn't be out of the question, I almost blew a brain vessel when I read that.

sonickteam2

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2007, 04:25:00 pm »

Originally posted by le sonick:

burton died in '86, and newsted joined the band a couple of months later.  i think his first tour was to support ...and justice for all, which would've been the one you saw.  that was a great show.

i never got to see burton play, but i thought it was interesting how perceptions change over time.    the guy called "newkid" for years might've been the longest standing bassist for the band, but he would not be part of the "ideal lineup" for most metallica fans from when i was listening to them. [/b]
yeah. i definitely wish i'd seen them play with Cliff.  

are you excited for the heaven and hell show at MPP?  i know i am!! haha.  

oh and hey, sorry i didnt say much to you last friday, i was being grumpy that whole evening.