Author Topic: Anybody going to Ween tonight?  (Read 8729 times)

freakoretardo

Anybody going to Ween tonight?
« on: January 23, 2008, 05:39:00 pm »
Nothing like seeing Ween in a place where you can't have a beer at your seat.

I bet the place is half empty.

That being said, I'm totally effing stoked.

Vas Deferens

Re: Anybody going to Ween tonight?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 05:46:00 pm »
I'll be there. I have no idea what their music sounds like. Maybe easy listening 'cause nkotb likes them?
(_|_)

nkotb

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 06:03:00 pm »
As if the world needs anymore proof that you're stalking me, you're willing to spend $40 to see a band that you've never heard of just because I'm going.  It's cute, really, but I'm married.  And straight.  Sorry.

Anyway, I'll be there...second row, dead center.  I'm half psyched, and half annoyed.  I dont' like the idea of seeing them at DAR, but then again, being the first show of the tour could find the boys super rested and ready to rock.  We'll see.

Originally posted by wanderlust j. marshmallow:
  I'll be there. I have no idea what their music sounds like. Maybe easy listening 'cause nkotb likes them?

freakoretardo

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 06:09:00 pm »
This is actually my first time seeing them. I started to get into them about four years ago and every opportunity I've had to go, something's gone wrong.

By the way, if this dude is stalking you, you just told him exactly where you're sitting tonight.

nkotb

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 06:19:00 pm »
I mostly kid; Joe's an alright kid, just borderline creepy   ;)

Originally posted by freakoretardo:
 By the way, if this dude is stalking you, you just told him exactly where you're sitting tonight.

azaghal1981

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 07:45:00 pm »
How was this show not booked at the club?

They could be playing to a full club tonight (which will be empty) but instead, they'll be playing to a half empty (at best) DAR.

My first time missing a local ween show since quebec was released.  :(
احمد

nkotb

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 10:26:00 am »
The show definitely wasn't half-empty, but I agree the Club would've been a much wiser choice.  Forcing everyone into seats took a lot of the energy out of the show, at least from my perspective.  And I'm not sure whether it was the lack of crowd energy or the band not being warmed up, but it was definitely in my bottom three of Ween shows.

I really enjoyed the Sonar show, but this one definitely felt like a walk-through.  I generally gauge Ween shows based on how many rare songs (or songs I've never seen live) are in the setlist, and how many kick-ass jams they lay done.  Unfortunately, the only new songs were two off the new album (the bland "Spiritwalker" and the fantastic "Shamemaker"), and the only rare song was "Beacon Light" which they played at Sonar.

Otherwise, there were no extended jams at all, only a slight longer version of "Zoloft."  I did enjoy hearing some of the classics that I haven't seen in a while ("Pony" and "Roses Are Free"), and I don't think I'll ever get tired of hearing "Buckingham Green" or "Dr. Rock" live.  Unforunately, the rest of the set was just the standards, and it was a pretty big letdown for me.  Granted, this is around my 15th time seeing them, so hearing new songs is getting harder, but it was still frustrating.

My other main problem was the crowd: being stuck in seats, even good ones, meant that I could move away to avoid douche bags.  A few notes to the people I sat near:

To the hippie guy who brought his own didgeridoo: Please leave it at home next time.  No one gives a shit.

To the drunk douche behind me: No, the band doesn't recognize you from the New York show.  And no, they can't heard you shouting to them.

To the hot woman in front of me: Please never stop dancing or fist-pumping.

To the women next to her: Please stop dancing.  Now.

To the guys adjacently behind me: Shouting for songs that they play at every show is pointless.  They'll get to it.  They play it at every show.

The to the guys next to them: Yelling for "Old Man Thunder" and "Mourning Glory" is about as funny as yelling for "Freebird."  We've all heard it before.

And finally, to the guy next to them: It's not super impressive when you try to guess the next song based on the noodling riffs played between songs, especially when you get it wrong.  Seriously, your hit ratio is about 3%.  Give it up.

All that being said (and a full novel being written), there's no way I'd miss their next show.  I dont' think I've missed them in this area since the Chocolate & Cheese tour, and I'm not about to start.  It's just ashame that this one was such a dud.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 10:37:00 am »
Originally posted by nkotb:

To the hippie guy who brought his own didgeridoo: Please leave it at home next time.  No one gives a shit.

Post of the Week!
T.Rex

Yada

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 11:16:00 am »
nice review NKOTB.

That hippie dude was a complete tool and I really enjoyed the "bouncy-nes" of the girl in front of you all night. I was a row behind you...

Anyway.. been seeing WEEN for years and technically, they were amazing as always last night, but the show was definitely lacking.

Undoubtedly the worst venue EVER for them to play in. DAR isn't meant for rock shows and that proved 100% correct last night. THey should've booked a two night run at the 930. Oh well...

nkotb

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 11:21:00 am »
Oops...hopefully you weren't any of said douche bags from my post  :D  

If you saw a guy fist-pumping like there was no tomorrow in row two, third seat from the aisle, that was me.  If you see me at a show in the future, stop by and say hi.

What did you think of that bearded kid that kept sneaking up to the front of the stage?  Man, he must have run up there 20 odd times.  Even the guard was amazed as his tenacity.

Originally posted by Yada:
  nice review NKOTB.

That hippie dude was a complete tool and I really enjoyed the "bouncy-nes" of the girl in front of you all night. I was a row behind you...

Yada

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 11:32:00 am »
"Oops...hopefully you weren't any of said douche bags from my post"

ha... no i wasn't... i was actually Row E, seat 106. So technically I was about 2 rows benhind you and a in the section over, but only about 15 feet from the chica dancing!!

Short hippie guy with the beard was sitting right in front of me and he was getting yanked around by the usher all night. Pretty funny...

Anyway, I caught the NYC shows on the past tour and this show didn't even touch it. Like you said, I'd never miss WEEN but this was kind of a bummer.

fatskippy

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 01:12:00 pm »
"To the hot woman in front of me: Please never stop dancing or fist-pumping."

She was a rockstar

tobyd

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 02:31:00 pm »
I can understand Ween not wanting to play the 930 again since they've been there every single time over the years but the DAR is a nightmare.

Funny if they would just loosen up and yank the seats off the floor -  allowing them to sell another 1000 tickets I bet - it would work great.

Anyway, I'd rather drive two hours to see Ween in Richmond at a club (tonite) than walk down the street to see them there.

grover.37

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 02:57:00 pm »
Originally posted by nkotb:
 [QB] The show definitely wasn't half-empty,
Did you look around at all besides those adjacent to you (in the very front)?  Even the first section of seats was maybe 2/3 full and definitely not anywhere near to full in the back of the floor.  Furthermore, the seats were well less than half full.  We went up behind the SBD for the end of the show and we had entire rows to ourselves.  I would say there were less than 2,000 people there.

Good thing a bunch of n00bs gobbled up pre-sale seats at $50 a pop and were unloading them for $20 outside.  I would definitely rather see them at Sonar (as shitty as it is) or at 930 Club (even though it would inevitably be oversold).

freakoretardo

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 02:57:00 pm »
I feel like we were all sitting in the same cluster. The guy with the digeridoo was to my right....

How can you say it wasn't half empty? It was like 60% empty.... and by the second half of the show people were leaving in mass exodus....

This is all because of the shitty venue that is DAR. I talked to a bunch of people who didn't go last night soley because of how much they hate that place. It sucks the fun out of any concert there. The sound blows, the bar lines blow, the ushers blow, the fact that there are no bars or metro stops right there blows.

F Dar. I'm done with you