Author Topic: Blur  (Read 4429 times)

brennser

Blur
« on: May 01, 2007, 11:34:00 am »

bearman🐻

Re: Blur
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 11:52:00 am »
I asked Damon a possible reunion when he played here with the GB&Q and he was tight-lipped saying something about how he couldn't talk about it at this point in time, but he said it with a twinkle in his eye. I'm not surprised, I think they still have some good music left in them. Every era of Blur has something to offer, even their less-than-great LPs. "Beetlebum" still gets regular play...and I know I'm probably in the minority, but I have a major soft spot in my heart for Leisure.

Relaxer

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 11:52:00 am »
I've been reading about this too, and I'm glad about it. I think Blur's most interesting records have been their last three, and I've never been much interested in their Parklife/Escape sound. That said, I've also read that Damon's next step was a new (and final) Gorillaz album. And he's still touring with GB&Q isn't he? Jesus, he's a busy man.
oword

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 12:00:00 pm »
yay yay yay
 i'm keeping my fingers crossed.
nothx

sonickteam2

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 12:02:00 pm »
coachella 2008, no doubt!

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 02:31:00 pm »
i still listen to leisure all the time, but always loved MLIR  :)  

and a blur reunion would be great.
HeyLa

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 03:02:00 pm »
I was never one to label some group of individuals as my "favorite" band, however....

I think the odd thing is that for every one of Blur's seven albums, you'll find a group of people who think it's their best.  I mean you'll be hard pressed to find many people who think "Pablo Honey" is superior to "OK Computer" but with Blur, all seven have their supporters.

Put me in "The Great Escape" camp.  I can't even describe (to me) the pop genius it contains.  Billy Corgan stole the title.  THAT album should have been called "Zeitgeist."  A record about Prozac and the lottery....

Brian

P.S. And it has "Country House" on it.

bearman🐻

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 03:15:00 pm »
Funny, I didn't care much for the Great Escape when it came out, but there are about 3 of Blur's best songs on there: "The Universal", "Country House", and "Charmless Man". But after Parklife, I thought that some of the melodies were a bit contrived and it was the downside of Britpop. Which is why I loved it when they went all Pavement-esque a couple of years later and did stuff like "Beetlebum" and "I'm Just a Killer For Your Love". (I didn't care much for "Tender" either until they played it in concert in 2003 and then I was blown away by it.)

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 03:32:00 pm »
ohhh tender is perhaps one of my favorite blur songs.

and is it super sad that i still get giddy and excited when blur comes on during britpop at the black cat?
   :p  

Originally posted by bearman:
  Funny, I didn't care much for the Great Escape when it came out, but there are about 3 of Blur's best songs on there: "The Universal", "Country House", and "Charmless Man". But after Parklife, I thought that some of the melodies were a bit contrived and it was the downside of Britpop. Which is why I loved it when they went all Pavement-esque a couple of years later and did stuff like "Beetlebum" and "I'm Just a Killer For Your Love". (I didn't care much for "Tender" either until they played it in concert in 2003 and then I was blown away by it.)
nothx

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 03:38:00 pm »
The Great Escape is good but I'm a Parklife guy. I actually really adored Think Tank. It's #2 or #3 for me.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 03:59:00 pm »
Im with Bearman on The Great Escape. I ended up buying the single to Country House and that is brilliant. Although in general I think each album has a gem or two  :)

For me, MLIR is one of the few albums I can play all the way through thinking its pure genius. 13 tales from urban bohemia (from the dandy warhols) also has that same effect on me  :)
HeyLa

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 04:35:00 pm »
I thing I really love about them (and the main reason I love ANY artist, really) is their versatility.  Their ability to master any pop form with panache.  (Is it any wonder I also love Elvis Costello?)

I mean just look at the singles from "Parklife:"

Neo-disco club anthem ("Girls & Boys"),
 Bond-theme torch ballad ("To the End"),
 Knees-up terrace sing-a-long ("Parklife"),
 and REM/Beatles resigned rumination ("End of a Century.)  

Most bands don't cover that much ground in a CAREER.

God bless Blur.

Brian

bearman🐻

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 06:09:00 pm »
Funny how back around like 1995 a band like Blur (and Britpop in general) seemed to really be snubbed, even though they had a minor hit with "Girls and Boys". I think there was a bit of a backlash against their Anglo-ness. Oasis changed that of course, but they were kind of an anomaly. Supergrass, Blur and Pulp were all huge in England, but in the States they could barely fill places like the 9:30. I guess it takes time for folks to appreciate those types of bands, especially since so many people were listening to Stone Temple Pilots and Pearl Jam back then and Blur was a total 180 from that whole scene.

RustyOrgan

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2007, 08:31:00 am »
Awesome!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2024, 10:46:05 pm »
Fucking Coachella... Crowded House had a similar experience in 2007, except they weren't headlining

https://x.com/strwberrynewts/status/1779517413270167869
<sig>