Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2081183 times)

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #1455 on: February 17, 2009, 01:02:05 am »
Whoa, I meant April. Dunno how I forgot that bit of info. It's on their space but the event schedule was down when I went to check.
‼‼?‼‼

azaghal1981

« Reply #1456 on: February 18, 2009, 02:13:46 am »
No Age/Zach Hill - Flannel Graduate
احمد

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #1457 on: February 18, 2009, 03:47:57 am »
I'm playing Depeche Mode's "Violator" on repeat, start to end. It's one of *those* nights.
Woof.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #1458 on: February 18, 2009, 03:49:28 am »

Late Of The Pier "Fantasy Black Channel"

Listening to 'The Bears Are Coming', really effing quirky.

They're playing at the club the 7th, is this an opening spot or are they headlining?
Just got the full length. So effing into this.
‼‼?‼‼

brennser

« Reply #1459 on: February 18, 2009, 03:03:12 pm »
the new Brakes has leaked - solid stuff - Hey Hey is an instant classic - possibly a little more power poppy than its predecessors but thats a plus in my book - right now have it on shuffle with the first two

killsaly

« Reply #1460 on: February 18, 2009, 07:11:34 pm »
New Asobi Seksu is pretty great, if you are into that kind of thing.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #1461 on: February 18, 2009, 07:27:09 pm »

N.A.S.A. 'Spirit Of Apollo'

S'alright.
‼‼?‼‼

vansmack

« Reply #1462 on: February 18, 2009, 10:37:32 pm »
It's good to have friends...

27>34

« Reply #1463 on: February 19, 2009, 08:25:54 am »
new Neko Case
new Justin Townes Earle
new Elvis Perkins in Dearland
new Dark was the Night compilation
Drive By Truckers catalog
M. Ward catalog

That should keep me busy

jd930

« Reply #1464 on: February 19, 2009, 10:35:58 am »
This

and some of this

got me through my shitty commute this morning.

Sage 703

« Reply #1465 on: February 19, 2009, 03:19:09 pm »
It's good to have friends...

I'm listening to it as well.  I think this is an album requiring a lot of listens.

On first spin, I had a few thoughts, which I shared with sweetcell via IM.  My portion of that conversation:

I'm frustrated with Bono throughout the album on my first listen.  I want more from him vocally.  because I think the rest of the band is doing some really interesting stuff.  I don't like his melodies or rhythms a lot of the time on this record.  I want to give it some time, but I'm just not sold on it right now.  The album isn't remarkably different; to me it is like U2 with Eno as a featured player, almost, rather than Eno changing U2's dynamic dramatically.

I've been listening today, and I like it more than I did yesterday.  I don't know if it will continue to improve or if it will level out, but I'm still not too impressed with Bono.  Certain songs are sitting better than others - and there are some ACE guitar parts from the Edge on this.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1466 on: February 19, 2009, 06:27:06 pm »
ha! callat, you beat me to it... i was going to post our chat here, and replace your name with "Boardee X".  some of my thoughts from the chat:

it's very U2. some nice song-writing, but i wish they would have done something a bit more... adventurous.
lyrics could be stronger.
i was hoping eno was going to jolt them a bit. don't really feel it, other than a few electronic flourishes
over-all, my first impression was that this is a solid pop album... but do U2 really need to write another pop album?
so in the end, probably the issue is more me than the album. i wanted something different, and U2 gave me a U2 album. hard to fault them for doing that :)

above all based on one listen, at the gym.  about to have my second listen on the drive home tonight.
<sig>

Relaxer

« Reply #1467 on: February 19, 2009, 06:36:55 pm »
I spun the new U2 once last night and a couple times I thought "hey, that's kind of neat." I personally was cringing throughout all of Unknown Caller but maybe I'll let its earnest vibes do their work. I still think it was a little too uplifting though.

Meanwhile, on Joe Marshmallow's recommendation, I gave the new Trail of Dead a blast and liked it a LOT. We'll see if this grows or fades, but I was happy to hear their ol' black magic again.

Tonight I hope to check out the new Akron/Family record, which is getting lots of high praise.
oword

njproc

« Reply #1468 on: February 20, 2009, 11:38:39 am »
Listened to the new U2 on their myspace stream.  Only first listen, but pretty underwhelming I thought.  I guess I was expecting more with Eno at the helm, especially given what he did with Coldplay.  I'm hoping it will improve with further listens.

Have been listening to the Hold Steady's latest- Stay Positive, not exactly my type of music, but a great listen nonetheless.  Will only get better with warmer weather.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1469 on: February 22, 2009, 12:50:36 am »

Late Of The Pier "Fantasy Black Channel"

Just got the full length. So effing into this.

as much as it pains me to agree with DFA, this is a damn good album.  currently through the first 8 tracks and not a single bad one in there.  i'm on board for their bowery ballroom show.  if you like the faint, apes and androids, the klaxons, etc, you owe it to yourself to check this album out.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 12:52:31 am by sweetcell »
<sig>