Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2081679 times)

Starsky

Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #9690 on: September 11, 2021, 12:01:30 pm »
did you see he's playing union stage
MATTHEW E. WHITE
UNION STAGE | 1/8/22

DOORS: 7PM | SHOW 8PM

Quite disappointing after a six year wait for a new album... can't confirm I'll be attending attending.
New album doesn’t do a lot for me but wow was he great several years ago. Saw him and Natalie Prass just straight light a venue in fire here in Richmond like 7 years ago.

Indeed... his shows from say late 2013 through 2015 or 16 were some of my favorites ever and Big Inner could fall into my top 20 albums ever.

Let’s see the top 20list!

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #9691 on: September 11, 2021, 02:12:56 pm »
Jeebus i thought you all were talking about Matthew Sweet. I had to go back to make sure I wasn't completely losing it.

Space Freely

« Reply #9692 on: September 11, 2021, 02:59:44 pm »
Jeebus i thought you all were talking about Matthew Sweet. I had to go back to make sure I wasn't completely losing it.

I'd love to see those two in some kind of food eating contest.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #9693 on: September 13, 2021, 09:50:21 am »
https://des-demonas.bandcamp.com/album/cure-for-love

Cure For Love by Des Demonas

Garage Rock from DC..
T.Rex

Yada

« Reply #9694 on: September 13, 2021, 04:31:33 pm »
MATTHEW E. WHITE
UNION STAGE | 1/8/22

Quite disappointing after a six year wait for a new album... can't confirm I'll be attending attending.

SideFake dropping bad dates... actual date is 1/20 with a show in Bawlmoor on 1/19

« Reply #9695 on: September 13, 2021, 04:48:40 pm »
MATTHEW E. WHITE
UNION STAGE | 1/8/22

SideFake dropping bad dates... actual date is 1/20 with a show in Bawlmoor on 1/19
weird, copied right from their site (hence the all caps)
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #9696 on: September 14, 2021, 07:29:45 am »
The Philadelphia Experiment
The Detroit Experiment
The Harlem Experiment

was already aware of the Detroit and Philly ones, just added the Harlem one to to my collection

basic concept is local musicians of different backgrounds get together and jam in the studio for a few days...

so the Philly one has ?uestlove, Christian McBride  and Uri Caine with some other locals helping out

The Detroit one is led by Carl Craig second wave techno DJ and  producer/percussionist Karriem Riggins along with a number of local Detroit Jazz and funk musicians

the Harlem one has as it's core group Carlos Alomar, Ruben Rodriguez, Steve Berrios, Eddie Martinez, Don Byron, and Steve Bernstein.
T.Rex

Yada

« Reply #9697 on: September 14, 2021, 08:44:53 am »
The Philadelphia Experiment
The Detroit Experiment
The Harlem Experiment

was already aware of the Detroit and Philly ones, just added the Harlem one to to my collection

basic concept is local musicians of different backgrounds get together and jam in the studio for a few days...

so the Philly one has ?uestlove, Christian McBride  and Uri Caine with some other locals helping out

The Detroit one is led by Carl Craig second wave techno DJ and  producer/percussionist Karriem Riggins along with a number of local Detroit Jazz and funk musicians

the Harlem one has as it's core group Carlos Alomar, Ruben Rodriguez, Steve Berrios, Eddie Martinez, Don Byron, and Steve Bernstein.

I wore the Detroit Experiment cd out in the early 2000s. Phenomenal.  I never liked the follow up releases nearly as much but maybe I should revisit.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #9698 on: September 14, 2021, 09:45:26 am »
Jerry Garcia Before the Dead

Fascinating look into his bluegrass, country and folk roots. The banjo!

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #9699 on: September 14, 2021, 10:36:42 am »
Of the three the detroit one is the most adventurous and lots of familiar to detroit and straight ahead jazz fans musicians on it...

nothing against the philly one, but it's basically well done funk fusion  and only listened to it a couple time but the harlem has nice latin influences peeking through
T.Rex

Yada

« Reply #9700 on: September 15, 2021, 01:19:30 pm »
Doug Martsch @ KIN Restaurant Patio on 5/29/21 (Saturday)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #9701 on: September 15, 2021, 02:43:52 pm »
CLAY - Orange

since females singing soul over acoustic guitars is on trend these days, i first heard CLAY on The Chi and decided to check her out... really need to keep Shazam handy when watching The Chi lots of interesting music in that series

here is a video

https://youtu.be/JjWbNwjPI8Y

and yes searching for clay soul singer is a bit tricky and there are several artists already using that moniker..
T.Rex

Starsky

« Reply #9702 on: September 16, 2021, 02:42:11 pm »

Yada

« Reply #9703 on: September 16, 2021, 02:55:00 pm »

« Reply #9704 on: September 17, 2021, 08:47:15 am »
Lanie absolutely nails Nicks on this cover https://youtu.be/XZ4CqjdJ46c
slack