Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2081699 times)

Yada

Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #9945 on: November 19, 2021, 04:25:56 pm »
In the golden age of hambands, let's say late 90's into the early 2000's... This was a band that I basically completely overlooked. If you're a fan of The Barr Brothers, I highly recommend going back into The Slip's catalog. They're basically the same band. Amazing musicianship, more jazz-esque/MMW type than your typical 4th tier hambanders. Anyway, they reunited after a decade or so and are putting out a new release.

Alivelectric - The Slip

Starsky

« Reply #9946 on: November 19, 2021, 07:39:39 pm »

Only “discovered” or began listening to Bobbie Gentry in the past decade….late 60s recording artist… A little bit- not quite-like a southern Nancy Sinatra…… a little bit like Dusty Springfield but with a huskier voice…Mercury Rev covered her “Delta Sweetie” album a few years ago …she is best known for for her song “Ode to Billie Joe”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cJZ_ViDADOE

She retired fairly early and is still living
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 07:44:17 pm by Starsky »

Starsky

« Reply #9947 on: November 20, 2021, 12:23:56 pm »
https://www.discogs.com/release/890352-Ramones-Ramones

Such a fantastic record….love love it…and maybe one of my favorite records in terms of how cleanly it’s recorded

Of course Roberta Bayley’s iconic picture on cover

The original pressing which sold a few thousand at most is one I really treasure; bought it for $1 about fifteen years ago at Orpheus

Starsky

« Reply #9948 on: November 21, 2021, 11:11:45 am »

Starsky

« Reply #9949 on: November 21, 2021, 12:34:02 pm »

Starsky

« Reply #9950 on: November 22, 2021, 03:41:58 pm »

« Reply #9951 on: November 22, 2021, 04:41:13 pm »
wow..very interesting
Personally, I love Doug yule
Which one is he in that photo the last one on the right?

Any Good?

The version of "Sweet Jane" on disc 4 contains the original deleted verse
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 04:47:36 pm by himpathy-hatch ® ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9952 on: November 22, 2021, 04:52:11 pm »
do y'all consider "Final" to be a V.U. album?  isn't in my books...
<sig>

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #9953 on: November 22, 2021, 04:56:35 pm »
Not a chance. 

Starsky

« Reply #9954 on: November 22, 2021, 05:05:34 pm »

VU album? It’s a four cd box set issued in Japan for which Yule provided tapes of four different live shows in the 1971-1973 period.

The first two CDs are arguably the VU as they have Yule and Moe Tucker playing VU songs combined with two new band members …Lou Reed and Sterling left and they soldiered on

I haven’t listened to much yet but have always been fascinated by this period.

Yule writes the show in 1973 was a mistake. He was in a band gigging and the promoter insisted on billing it as the Velvet Underground

I don’t really understand people who get outraged and worked up about Yule continuing on…. You have to look at it in the context of 1971…. When Lou left they had been a nothing band for years… their shows usually to a few dozen people… it wasn’t as if Yule soldiered on in 1973 when Jagger Richards left and they were the biggest band ever! In 1971 Lou hadn’t hooked up with Bowie etc yet…the VU reappraisal wasn’t even close to happening

« Reply #9955 on: November 22, 2021, 05:09:30 pm »
nope, not Squeeze either
but I think Yule is great, listen to his contributions on vocals on Loaded and come back to me
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #9956 on: November 22, 2021, 05:13:08 pm »
A fantastic question though. Is Chicago really anything without Peter Cetera? Is Genesis really Genesis with Phil Collins? And what, if anything, shall we make of Yes?

Starsky

« Reply #9957 on: November 22, 2021, 05:23:50 pm »
At the end of the day it’s music. Strip it of all of the mythology and all the critical scorn or praise heaped on it by the rock critics and listen to it as such.

Doug Yule didn’t kill anyone. He was in a band for a couple of years and Lou left. Yule and Mo tried to keep going and it failed just as the band led by Lou failed commercially in 1969 and 1970. Just like Lou Reed’s first solo album released April 1972 and rehashing VU songs completely stiffed (recorded with Rick Waksman and an Elton John band member BTW…a chapter always overlooked)

Of course Lou Reed is a genius and Doug Yule - like most of us- not , but put yourself in his shoes: you been scuffling playing with VU for a couple of years- you ain’t exactly living the high life - why shouldn’t you be able to continue as the VU? At that point they were nothing.

« Reply #9958 on: November 22, 2021, 05:56:00 pm »
Of course Lou Reed is a genius and Doug Yule - like most of us- not , but put yourself in his shoes: you been scuffling playing with VU for a couple of years- you ain’t exactly living the high life - why shouldn’t you be able to continue as the VU? At that point they were nothing.
It'd kinda be like that 4th guitarist who joined the last Diarrhea Planet tour, to continue on as DP even though none of the original members were on board
slack

Starsky

« Reply #9959 on: November 22, 2021, 06:01:56 pm »
Eventually but when they initially continued and did the late 71 UK tour Moe Tucker and Doug Yule were on board.

I think the Squeeze album is a different thing entirely as it’s pretty much just Yule.

Keep in mind after Moe left they only played like 10 shows if that