Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2082634 times)

Yada

Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #11040 on: January 30, 2023, 06:29:57 pm »

Starsky

« Reply #11041 on: January 30, 2023, 08:03:36 pm »

Still a favorite!!

« Reply #11042 on: January 30, 2023, 10:08:19 pm »
Still a favorite!!
good fun and I know why you like it most
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #11043 on: January 31, 2023, 10:14:13 am »
The Meat Sweaters

Body Yoghurt - https://youtu.be/X6ndc3Ffpjk

Described as "It's like Stiff Records meets Dischord" which by law I'm required to checkout..  would say I hear lots of early DEVO in their sound, angsty synth pop   
T.Rex

Space Freely

« Reply #11044 on: January 31, 2023, 08:26:10 pm »
I'm decidedly not a Black Keys fan, but the new album by The Arcs is pretty damn fine.

Yada

« Reply #11045 on: January 31, 2023, 08:58:29 pm »
I'm decidedly not a Black Keys fan, but the new album by The Arcs is pretty damn fine.

Can confirm... at least the last 15 years or so of the black keys*.

*I liked Brothers
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 09:04:56 pm by Yada »

Yada

« Reply #11046 on: February 01, 2023, 11:49:18 am »

Great album to walk in through beaming sunlight on a blustery day.

Starsky

« Reply #11047 on: February 02, 2023, 09:43:59 am »
Babasonicos - A Propósito

Starsky

« Reply #11048 on: February 02, 2023, 06:47:31 pm »

Not a huge Alvin fan but how can you not like this album with the Sun Ra Arkestra and the Dirty Dozen Brass Band!?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #11049 on: February 03, 2023, 10:40:18 am »
2023 is shaping up nicely with some great albums so far

Belle & Sebastian "Late Developers" - My first thought is this is a collection of possible B-Sides for last years album as they sound as if they are stretching to bring in more of their influences into the record.  But it works really well and "Will I Tell Your Secret" is the best Cat Stevens song written in awhile.

Gaz Coombes  "Turn The Car Around" - The Guardian gives it 5 Stars and says it's his best album in 20 years, no need to dispute this.  It's a great listen with lots of interesting layers.

Out today Hifi Sean & David McAlmont "Happy Endings" HiFi Sean is Sean Dickson of BMX Bandits and Soup Dragon fame who is primarily working as Deep House DJ Producer these days. David McAlmont is probably best known for his record with Bernard Butler.  Anyways, been waiting for this whole album to come out and it's like getting an awesome mixtape from a cool friend. Given Sean's background it's not surprising how it moves between genres so smoothly. 

https://plastiquerecordings.bandcamp.com/album/happy-ending

Another new one today is Hamish Hawk "Angel Numbers" his second album produced by Rod Jones from Idlewild.  Lazily this a bit like Idlewild meets The Smith.  Definitely going to get repeat listens

https://hhawkofficial.bandcamp.com/album/angel-numbers
T.Rex

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #11050 on: February 03, 2023, 11:08:57 am »
Belle & Sebastian "Late Developers" - My first thought is this is a collection of possible B-Sides for last years album as they sound as if they are stretching to bring in more of their influences into the record.  But it works really well and "Will I Tell Your Secret" is the best Cat Stevens song written in awhile.
I think my boy Azaghal was correct over on the Twitters: this band hasn't put out anything really worth listening to in a decade.
LVMH

« Reply #11051 on: February 03, 2023, 11:12:09 am »
I think my boy Azaghal was correct over on the Twitters: this band hasn't put out anything really worth listening to in a decade.
I enjoyed Girls in Peacetime Want to Dance
but ultimately it's been two decades
slack

Yada

« Reply #11052 on: February 03, 2023, 11:20:07 am »

Yada

Space Freely

« Reply #11054 on: February 03, 2023, 05:30:41 pm »

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/jan/26/the-arcs-dan-auerbach-and-leon-michels-remember-richard-swift-he-gave-you-all-the-confidence-in-the-world

Nice article and not too be too nitpicky, but I'm pretty sure Swift was never a touring member of Wilco.