Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2081680 times)

Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #11190 on: March 22, 2023, 03:01:26 pm »
No…whatis admo!

It’s been a long time. Right as covid was starting, in fact. But this Sunday, March 26, I’m spinning some roots tunes with the Grand Ancestor crew down in Adam’s Morgan. Should be good! Come hold a drink, nod your head, hell shake a leg if you’re inspired. Nothing but roots reggae of the past into future sounds.

Club Timehri
2439 18th St NW DC
This Sunday, March 26
9pm to close
slack

Hutch

« Reply #11191 on: March 22, 2023, 04:09:31 pm »
Good for Toby….haven’t seen him since I ran into him at bunny wailer…

Sunday night DJ starting at 9 pm? Tough slot

« Reply #11192 on: March 22, 2023, 05:44:28 pm »
Good for Toby….haven’t seen him since I ran into him at bunny wailer…

Sunday night DJ starting at 9 pm? Tough slot
4 djs so not actually sure when he is on
slack

Hutch

« Reply #11193 on: March 22, 2023, 07:05:09 pm »

Section 25 from 1983 I think…co-production by Bernard sumner who basically did the synths while a friend from a certain ratio did the drum machines…this was recorded around the same time as PC&L and Sumner is learning learning constantly which accounts for the huge difference between new order in 81 and 83…. Steven Morris, at the same time was learning how to program newly emerging drum machines…put them together, overlay Hooky’s bass and you have neworder

Pretty cool stuff…about 6 years ago I sold a copy I had found at a goodwill and regretted it when I got more into new order…I was able to get a nice copy on discogs for about $6 which is unusual …. Artwork is by Peter Saville

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #11194 on: March 25, 2023, 01:38:33 pm »
Ikebe Shakedown. Whoa.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #11195 on: March 26, 2023, 10:54:49 pm »
Ikebe Shakedown. Whoa.

never heard of them before.  just spent 15 minutes hitting up their youtubes, and daaaang - dat shit legit.  high quality instrumental r'n'b/soul/funk/music to groove to.  @kosmo - big daptones vibes.  get on that.

unfortunately looks like they're inactive/broken up?  no upcoming shows, nothing new in several years, their last "sign of life" tweet from july'22 isn't exactly confidence-inducing... too bad.
<sig>

Hutch

« Reply #11196 on: March 27, 2023, 04:03:24 pm »

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #11197 on: March 27, 2023, 04:24:27 pm »
Ikebe Shakedown. Whoa.

never heard of them before.  just spent 15 minutes hitting up their youtubes, and daaaang - dat shit legit.  high quality instrumental r'n'b/soul/funk/music to groove to.  @kosmo - big daptones vibes.  get on that.

unfortunately looks like they're inactive/broken up?  no upcoming shows, nothing new in several years, their last "sign of life" tweet from july'22 isn't exactly confidence-inducing... too bad.

If only there was a search function on this forum:p

And I’m pretty sure Ibeke Shakedown came together as they in the pit orchestra from the Fela musical years ago. I get the impression they are all working NYC musicians who do whatever gigs they can get and this band is probably what they do in their spare time..   lookup Breakdown Brass as it’s another group put together by a member of Ibeke Shakedown.. this is one of the few times I ever clicked a an on The Facebook to learn about a new group
T.Rex

Hutch

« Reply #11198 on: March 30, 2023, 09:01:29 am »
The Sundays - Reading, writing and arithmetic

Here’s where the story ends is such a great Smiths forgery

Space Freely

« Reply #11199 on: April 03, 2023, 08:32:58 am »
Tyler, the Creator, on the radio.

Sorry if it makes me a racist, but I'm just uncomfortable listening to hip hop songs where they use the n-word.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #11200 on: April 03, 2023, 10:52:47 am »

Just Say Sire: The Sire Records Story

So many many great artists on Sire Records.  Thinking my collection is at least 5 percent Sire albums. singles, etc.  Their "Just Say" compilations always enjoyable..

T.Rex

« Reply #11201 on: April 03, 2023, 04:59:15 pm »
The cult-electric
Damn this is some puntchy shit
Rick, hot damn… you added fire that was missing in their previous releases
Thanks hutch
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 05:01:01 pm by IncludingAHat ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #11202 on: April 03, 2023, 05:44:51 pm »
The cult-electric
Damn this is some puntchy shit
Rick, hot damn… you added fire that was missing in their previous releases
Thanks hutch

North Dakota is rocking as we speak.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #11203 on: April 05, 2023, 09:25:29 am »
A Sire Records playlist which is reminding me of so many great albums from my past.

This is a great summation of Sire Records from the NPR news piece on Seymour.

STEPHEN THOMPSON, BYLINE: When I was in college radio and I was kind of learning how to be a music nerd, there was such a stark line. Like, you could be underground and cool, or you could be mainstream and terrible. Sire Records and Seymour Stein found ways to kind of fuse those together.

Definitely need to re-listen to the "My Life in the Bush of Ghosts" from  Brian Eno &  David Byrne such a classic and oddly prior to Seymour's death I was reminded of Book Of Love who I haven't listened to in years.
T.Rex

Hutch

« Reply #11204 on: April 05, 2023, 10:16:01 am »
Galaxie 500 - On 🔥