Author Topic: Oasis  (Read 5855 times)

Guiny

Re: Oasis
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2005, 10:16:00 am »
Originally posted by Roadbike Mankie:
  Oasis are one of the best 'rock' bands of recent years and I don't give a toss what the uber-hipster- the band can't be any good if people have heard of them-knobs thing! Liam is a bit of a dick, but seems to be growing up somewhat at last.
I guess I'm not the only person who has heard this kind of stuff on this board.   :)  

Sonick must be asleep today or else he woulda had something to say about this quote.

beedubyah

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2005, 10:20:00 am »
Originally posted by RandyNA74:
  Also, forgot to mention...shouldn't Oasis really be playing longer sets by now?
I honestly think they do it to preserve Liam's voice.  They played what, 19 songs?  Actually felt about right, though theres an infinite number of songs Id love to hear...

A prolonged Noel acoustic set would definitely work...

beedubyah

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2005, 10:28:00 am »
Originally posted by Rob_Gee:
  Sonick must be asleep today or else he woulda had something to say about this quote.
Yeah man...I was really expecting a plethora of derogatory, snobby, pretentious remarks and I only get 1....This is all very disappointing.

eros

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2005, 10:32:00 am »
Originally posted by beedubyah:

Originally posted by Rob_Gee:
Yeah man...I was really expecting a plethora of derogatory, snobby, pretentious remarks and I only get 1....This is all very disappointing. [/b]
They're all saving up for the Coldplay thread.
ʎɐʍou

Guiny

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2005, 10:35:00 am »
Originally posted by beedubyah:
 Yeah man...I was really expecting a plethora of derogatory, snobby, pretentious remarks and I only get 1....This is all very disappointing. [/QB]
If your talking about Kosmo, I wouldnt say it was derogatory, snobby or pretentious. I think it was an actual honest opinion with no slamming. Those I'm sure you can appreciate.

manimtired

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2005, 10:43:00 am »
i thought the show was great...excellent sound and song selection.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2005, 10:46:00 am »
Originally posted by RandyNA74:
  Yeah, what exactly happened with Kasabian? I was really sorry not to see them too...would have been the third time this year. Was it related to that truck driver incident mentioned above?
thatguy can give you the official lowdown... but from what he told me last night one of the semi's carrying oasis's gear didn't arrive until after gates open, thus delaying the shows setup.  since there is a curfew at Merriweather it was nessecary to drop Kasabain so they could finish the show in time.  so it was either cut short Oasis or drop Kasabian.  As people were paying to see Oasis and not Kasabian...
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2005, 10:54:00 am »
when "Definitely Mabye" came out i was a bit MADFERIT, definitely something i listened to loads.  about the time WTSMG came out i read somewhere that Noel wrote his lyrics while watching tv and taking a closer listen it was apparent the songs were little more than a series of cliches strung together.  at that point i align myself with the Blur camp.

then Oasis became an arena level band in the US and the reports from the shows were pretty dismal, exceedingly loud feedback soaked events.  i lost interest and haven't heard any thing new by the band.

liam's voice was never great to begin with and clearly "Cigarettes and Alcohol" have taken their toll on it.  dug out "Definitely Mabye"  recently and besides the obvious singles on it, it doesn't stand the test of time with some serious filler on it.
T.Rex

thegazelle

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2005, 11:05:00 am »
Not sure where other people were standing that made them say the sound was great, but the sound on the lawn was terrible at the start. The first 4 or 5 songs sounded like it was only coming out of the stage amps and then they fixed the other speakers and the vocals and it got slightly better, but still not by much. I was hoping for a more sonic sound, but was disappointed a bit. Towards the end it sounded fine, but still could have been a bit more clear. I should have used my seat ticket to check out what it sounded like closer, but didn't want to leave my peeps. Decent show all in all. Plus ya gotta love incoherent ramblings on stage.

markie

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2005, 11:13:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  when "Definitely Mabye" came out i was a bit MADFERIT, definitely something i listened to loads.  about the time WTSMG came out i read somewhere that Noel wrote his lyrics while watching tv and taking a closer listen it was apparent the songs were little more than a series of cliches strung together.  at that point i align myself with the Blur camp.

then Oasis became an arena level band in the US and the reports from the shows were pretty dismal, exceedingly loud feedback soaked events.  i lost interest and haven't heard any thing new by the band.

liam's voice was never great to begin with and clearly "Cigarettes and Alcohol" have taken their toll on it.  dug out "Definitely Mabye"  recently and besides the obvious singles on it, it doesn't stand the test of time with some serious filler on it.
So what you are saying is you liked Oasis when it was cool to like them. Then when the whole popularity thing became a bit too overblown for you, you decided not to like them anymore?

I think Heathen Chemistry is a pretty great album.

yinzer

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2005, 11:50:00 am »
of course that's what he's saying.  any band playing big places and selling lots of albums sucks for these knobs.  

as for the comment about filler on definitely maybe...you'd have to be kook to say that much of anything on that album is filler with the possible exception of digsy's diner, and noel would tell you as much.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2005, 11:57:00 am »
what i'm saying is that i lost interest in the band   , and they didn't do much to spark my attention again...

i lose interest in groups all the time, Ben Folds Five, R.E.M., Soundgarden, etc... I also rediscover things too, maybe I'll pickup "Heathen Chemistry" and give it whirl.
T.Rex

Sir HC

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2005, 12:05:00 pm »
Again, one of the semis didn't show until 7pm.  That is when Kasabian was supposed to go on.  Other than "that is when it showed" no word on the reason for the delay.

That truck contained the monitors, subwoofers, and a lot of the front-of-house gear.  They didn't have the PA or the stage sound set before Jet came on stage.  So for both bands they were both mixing on the fly, which is not easy.  Been there done that.

The fact that the show went off was amazing to me.

The lawn I think did sound pretty bad all night.  There was a 2-2.5khz honk in the sound, and because of the air the treble would come and go.  I think that is why we are hearing to disparate reviews of the show, I bet it sounded a lot better in the pavillion (I was a lawn person).  I don't know if they had the lawn PA going or not, thought I saw lights flashing but didn't really hear it (maybe it just throws to the back lawn).  Sometimes though you could hear the sound "correctly" and Liam's voice was on.  It would then go away, so I blame the PA not the man.

eros

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2005, 12:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
 maybe I'll pickup "Heathen Chemistry" and give it whirl.
Do yourself a favor, listen to "Don't Believe the Truth" instead.  Their strongest since DM/WTSMG.
ʎɐʍou

beedubyah

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2005, 12:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by jdr:
  as for the comment about filler on definitely maybe...you'd have to be kook to say that much of anything on that album is filler with the possible exception of digsy's diner, and noel would tell you as much.
Id have to agree with that.  There's no denying their later songs dont match up to the earlier ones (though the last album I really dig) but when Noel was on from 93-98, everything he touched was brilliant...