Author Topic: Oasis  (Read 5856 times)

beedubyah

Oasis
« on: September 30, 2005, 08:53:00 am »
Dear god.  What an amazing show.  I dont care who you are, Oasis fan or not, you have to admit this was an excellent gig.  4th time Ive heard them and this one I believe took the cake.  From start to finish it was just a hell of a show.  Liam's voice absolutely filled the place and the guitars just echoed throughout.  I was about on the 20th row and the acoustics were excellent.

I thought the new stuff mixed in really well with the older songs.  Turn up the Sun, Lyla, Bring it on Down and Morning Glory that is a hell of a way to start off a show.

Liam was Liam *kinda* in that, he was yelling at the sound tech about the vocals, but he was shaking hands with all of the fans and actually dove into the crowd during the encore.  Noel was talkative and very appreciative as well.  It was just a really good vibe.

Fans were really into it.  The place was almost filled. (And here I thought they were 1 step away from making an appearance at the 930 club)  I could hear the waves of people behind me singing to all the songs.

And the encore was a hell of a way to finish. My Generation with Kasabian on backing vocals and them dancing around like morons.  Sensory overload....It was a great way to end it.

I know all of you pretentious hipsters will thumb your collective noses up at these guys, but Im tellin ya, for balls out, solid rocknroll...No one does it better.  By far, the best show Ive seen this year.

Frank Gallagher

Re: Oasis
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 09:11:00 am »
Oasis are one of the best 'rock' bands of recent years and I don't give a toss what the uber-hipster- the band can't be any good if people have heard of them-knobs thing! Liam is a bit of a dick, but seems to be growing up somewhat at last.

But.....Oasis are one of those bands who would prosper very well without the lead singer, Noel would just take over, and he is the talented Gallagher!

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 09:16:00 am »
<~~~~~~~~~ Currently biting his tongue
T.Rex

beedubyah

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 09:25:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  <~~~~~~~~~ Currently biting his tongue
You were there right?  Show did nothing for you?  

Give me the Decemberists any day or (insert name of super-cool underground band that Ive never heard of)

Sir HC

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 09:26:00 am »
I was amazed the show went on.  7pm and they were bringing in the subwolfers and monitors.  Some truck driver nearly trashed the whole show.  I commend them for getting it up and running as fast as they did.

Bummed to miss Kasabian, but Oasis did a good set.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 09:36:00 am »
the show did very little for me, in fact i had to listen to Cast on the way home to floss it out of my mind...

just because i enjoy the Decemberists, The Magic Numbers, The Coral, doesn't make me a hipster.  in fact i saw Oasis on their second US tour in support of "Definitely Maybe".  the one where Liam plopped down on the stage when he wasn't singing.

all i heard last night was plodding lifeless rock, a blanted rip off of a T. Rex song, and actual frogs could croak better than Liam.  while I was heading to my car they launched into "Live Forever" one of the few songs I would have wanted to hear, and it was painful to bear...

i totally agree with Mank on Noel being the more talented one, at least he can carry a tune..
T.Rex

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2005, 09:38:00 am »
I read that Liam said Franz Ferdinand were the Right Said Fred of the new millenium.

beedubyah

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2005, 09:39:00 am »
  the show did very little for me, in fact i had to listen to Cast on the way home to floss it out of my mind...
Oooh Cast...I heard theyre GREAT.  Youre entitled to your opinion.  Just cant see it though...

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2005, 09:43:00 am »
  i totally agree with Mank on Noel being the more talented one, at least he can carry a tune..
On one of the cable channels over here (can't remember which one) if a show finishes a few minutes early they throw in a music video or clip of a concert....a nice touch actually.

Anyhoooo....one evening they showed a clip of Oasis in concert, it was Wonderwall sung by Liam. Oh, how he murdered such a great song. I agree with Kosmo that Liam is a terrible singer and butchers most songs. I saw them several times in the early days and loved the energy, which is why I say they are one of the best 'rock' bands..."it's the fook'n energy man...no wot ar meen?" (as Liam would say) but without a doubt the most musically entertaining part of their shows was always when Noel came on stage to do his solo bit.

eros

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2005, 09:51:00 am »
It's really hit or miss with Liam.  When he's on, Noel is no match for him vocally.  Last night was my 6th gig and his voice sounded as good as ever.  I attribute that to the band having the previous night off.  

A few other times I've seen them his voice has been atrocious.  Listen to the "Familiar to Millions" live album as an example.
ʎɐʍou

xcanuck

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2005, 09:52:00 am »
I'm with Kosmo. We spent the Oasis set hanging with the staph at the 932.

Does anyone know the reason for the delay yesterday? I was really stoked to see Kasabian so the outcome was kinda disappointing for me. We basically paid $40 to see Jet. I'm sure some of you will find that ironically satisfying.  :)

beedubyah

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2005, 10:00:00 am »
Originally posted by Roadbike Mankie:
  Anyhoooo....one evening they showed a clip of Oasis in concert, it was Wonderwall sung by Liam. Oh, how he murdered such a great song.

I agree with Kosmo that Liam is a terrible singer and butchers most songs.
When theyre halfway through a world tour Liam can REALLY struggle with his voice.  At ACL and a few shows proceeding he was really struggling.  

I heard a live webcast of Oasis from the KROQ thang in LA late one night a week or so ago and he was STRUGGLING.  Really really bad.  Like watching your favorite team get blown out.  Embarassing.

I had a report from a friend in Atlanta that he was on point a few days ago and he was amazing last night.  Liam's not a great singer by any stretch.  He only can hit a few notes (thats why they have Noel), but hes got a great rock voice in my opinion.  It was on point last night.

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2005, 10:06:00 am »
Having never seen Oasis and not expecting much from them live , I must say that I thought the show was great.  Liam sounded great, the sound was crystal clear and the show was fun.  Obviously, if you don't like Oasis and their songs then you probably wouldn't enjoy the show.

Little disappointed in the reduced Jet set and non-existant Kasabian, but the Oasis portion definitely made up for it!

RandyNA74

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2005, 10:07:00 am »
Yeah, what exactly happened with Kasabian? I was really sorry not to see them too...would have been the third time this year. Was it related to that truck driver incident mentioned above?

RandyNA74

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2005, 10:09:00 am »
Also, forgot to mention...shouldn't Oasis really be playing longer sets by now? The first two albums were represented along with the new one but...everything in between was dropped. They could throw in a couple of extra tunes.