Author Topic: Doc Martens Soles  (Read 3952 times)

jadetree

Doc Martens Soles
« on: June 26, 2003, 10:29:00 am »
This may be a dumb question, but has anybody ever replaced the soles on their doc martens or should I just throw mine away?

markie

Re: Doc Martens Soles
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2003, 10:35:00 am »
how much did you spend on CDs last week? How much are a new pair of Docs?

Your uppers are pretty rough looking, it will be more than 50% of the new price just to get new soles in DC.

Throw them away and get a new pair?

jadetree

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2003, 10:37:00 am »
Originally posted by Andrew WK:
  how much did you spend on CDs last week? How much are a new pair of Docs?

Your uppers are pretty rough looking, it will be more than 50% of the new price just to get new soles in DC.

Throw them away and get a new pair?
I already ordered replacement boots, was just curious about how much it would be to get new soles.

mankie

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2003, 10:40:00 am »
Don't throw them away for crying out loud! Even if you don't fix them they are a work of art. I won a photo competition once by taking a b/w photo of my beat up old doc's.

Order your new pair from UK...they seem to be much better quality leather, and the tag at the back is embroidered (sp) not printed.

I usually wait till I visit home next before buying them for myself.

Jaguär

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2003, 10:41:00 am »
Originally posted by jadetree:
  This may be a dumb question, but has anybody ever replaced the soles on their doc martens or should I just throw mine away?
You must walk a lot. A whole lot!

Relaxer

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2003, 10:42:00 am »
I re-soled a pair of Docs (because they took me a friggin' month to break in) and I think I paid around $30 or so. I used the SHOE REPAIR guy next to the Court House in Arlington. This was roughly four years ago, I think. I was happy with it. It extended their life another year and a half or so because the top-toe-part started splitting, and the guy said he couldn't do anything for that.
oword

jadetree

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2003, 10:43:00 am »
Originally posted by mankie:
  Don't throw them away for crying out loud! Even if you don't fix them they are a work of art. I won a photo competition once by taking a b/w photo of my beat up old doc's.

Order your new pair from UK...they seem to be much better quality leather, and the tag at the back is embroidered (sp) not printed.

I usually wait till I visit home next before buying them for myself.
Well they aren't as much of a work of art probably because the ones I am replacing are the shoe variety not the boot variety, and after having no luck getting the boots I wanted the last two times in the Doc Martens store in London I went ahead and ordered Grinders rather than Docs.

mankie

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2003, 10:50:00 am »
Originally posted by Jaguär:

You must walk a lot. A whole lot!
 [/b]
I bet he walks to the 930!  :D

jadetree

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2003, 10:57:00 am »
Originally posted by Relaxer:
  I re-soled a pair of Docs (because they took me a friggin' month to break in) and I think I paid around $30 or so. I used the SHOE REPAIR guy next to the Court House in Arlington. This was roughly four years ago, I think. I was happy with it. It extended their life another year and a half or so because the top-toe-part started splitting, and the guy said he couldn't do anything for that.
Thanks for the info, I may look into it if it is just $30

Celeste

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2003, 11:01:00 am »
I think this calls for another trip to the UK...I saved $20 on my Campers by buying them in Spain...of course, the dollar was only .85 to the Euro, but...well, maybe not such a good idea

Relaxer

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2003, 11:39:00 am »
You can often find them cheap at Nordstrom Rack or Filene's Basement.
oword

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2003, 11:43:00 am »
Doc Martens are soooo out of style dude. That's why I now only have three pair instead of six.

mankie

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2003, 11:53:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  Doc Martens are soooo out of style dude. That's why I now only have three pair instead of six.
Oh I'm sure they'll be back in vogue again at some point.....just like the rest of my wardrobe!

Yank

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2003, 12:34:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:

Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
Oh I'm sure they'll be back in vogue again at some point.....just like the rest of my wardrobe! [/b]
That day-glo kilt will NEVER come back in style.  Trust me!

mankie

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2003, 12:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by Yank:

That day-glo kilt will NEVER come back in style.  Trust me!
 [/b]
You didn't say that when you borrowed it for the Dead or Alive gig you went to!