Author Topic: has all the great music already been created?  (Read 7294 times)

vansmack

Re: has all the great music already been created?
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2005, 07:52:00 pm »
The answer is absolutely not.

I'm sure somebody said the same thing in the 18th Century about Bach and Handel, then came Hyden and Mozart.  So that must be the end.  Then came Beethoven.  Then Schubert, Mendelssohn, and Chopin; then Wagner, Brahms, and Verdi. That must be the end.

Then came Stravinsky.

This was over a 300 year period.

Rock and roll is what, 50 years old - 70 max?  And you're already giving up?  Please.

Now go to your local record store, scour for something obscure and take a chance on something.

You might even like it.
27>34

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2005, 09:00:00 pm »
The comparison with classical music is not apt, because that is a form with infinite complexity and possibilities.  90 percent of rock, whether it's classic or indie relies on the same three or four chords, and the same old drummer-bassist-guitarist configuration, with a few variations.  You get too far away from those configurations and it's no longer rock.

I can think of very, very few truly original sounds in the last 20 years.  Even punk, which was supposed to be a huge groundbreaking moment is mainly just 60s pop played faster and louder.
_\|/_

Sage 703

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2005, 09:35:00 pm »
i don't think i agree that the comparison with classical music isn't apt.  take classical music for solo instruments - piano as an ideal example.  I think its very safe to say that piano music evolved over time, and continues to do so today.  and the piano has the same 88 keys now as it used to 300 years ago.

rock music can be many things, and I think there is a fair amount that is pretty original that is coming out.  and I also don't think that the instrumentation is as restricted as you're making it - what about bands like the Verve or Spiritualized who make extensive use of string arrangments?  it might not be on the mainstream radar, or even in the catalogue of most indie snobs, but i think its definitely out there, and will continue to be so.  and some of it (see: the Mars Volta, as an example, even though I don't particularly care for them; I also think the Most Serene Republic record is very innovative and interesting - they'll be at 9:30 with Metric) has been having some success.

Jaguär

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2005, 12:38:00 am »
To answer your question, certainly not! That's just the ramblings of an old fart. Believe me, I've been around long enough to hear this from a variety of people who are settling in with their lives and just getting bored with music, all due to their own positions within their own life's path. We'll continue to have lots of good music along with a whole lot of crap. It's all part of the evolution of music.

shoot ur shot

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2005, 02:33:00 am »
I'll preface this by saying that I despise more "out there" and "challenging" music than at least 98% of this board. But I think it's so funny reading ppl here demanding NEW and ORIGINAL kinds of music yet nobodies comin' out their shell for these fun,wildly fascinating, and at times mindblowingly transcendent shows at warehouse next door, dc9, 611 florida, dc arts center, etc, etc. If anyone cares, these are a couple of bands/artists coming through the district in the next month that I feel are expanding upon traditional, ordinary aesthetic experiences in creative and exciting ways:

LoVid -Next Tuesday at Dc9. if you caught the visual music exhibit at the hirshorn this summer, you'll totally dig this. synasthesia via dirty diy electronix, video projections and a knack for tasteful theatrical presentation. Like seeing an audio/video installation come to life.

Mouthus-Oct 28 at Warehouse. Thats a Friday. If you've never hit up a show here, the PA is not the best in the world. Sound is hit or miss really but the quality level of acts that have come through this place in the past couple of years has been unparalleled. Anyways, Mouthus rules all. Best band out of New York right now as far as I'm concerned. Will fuck with your head. Beautiful.

and if you're really up for a challenge, check out the finest avant troupe the east coast has to offer---straight out of filthy Bmore, Nautical Almanac. They take DIY ethics to new extremes, although they are probably more likely to be following in the path of eastern european free jazz cats rather than some overpraised snores from DC. Anyways, these goofs are playing 611 Florida next friday with some other bands that should all be interesting. Plus, they know how to party. Go to a show at their house, you'll know what I mean. Bust out the Baltimore Club music!!!!

snailhook

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2005, 03:20:00 am »
shoot ur shot knows what's up. it really is funny hearing people complain about how there is nothing new and original anymore, while some of the most vital, interesting, and innovative music is being performed a few miles from the computer they're tying on. it's there, it always has been and always will be; the problem is, you're not there.

people need to broaden their myopic views on what music is, even rock 'n' roll. i completely disagree with doctor doom's statement above: pop music may be limited to the same 4/4 time signature and the same three or four chord progressions, but rock doesn't necessarily have to abide by those widely accepted rules of harmony. there are still many different ways to compose music with a steady backbeat, and even more to compose music free of those constraints. you're not gonna hear it on the radio, and you're not gonna read about it in rolling stone or spin, but if you dig down deep enough, you'll find a well of mostly untapped -- and underheard -- musical ideas.

so my answer is definitely, no, all the great music hasn't been created yet. there will be some great new music created shortly, whether it's folk, metal, improv, or pop, and i'm eager to hear it.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2005, 07:15:00 am »
So what this thread is all about is nothing more than I've been saying for ages.....MOST NEW MUSIC TODAY IS SHITE

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2005, 08:22:00 am »
Problem is that the musical landscape is always littered with sound-alike/cookie cutter acts and of late there is an increased trend towards style over subtance acts.  Whats lacking is the "influenced by" acts.

Style of substance is where the image is created first and the songs are written as an after thought.  Think Ashlee Simpson, Kings of Leon, Bravery, All American Rejects..

There is the Warped Tour/Take Action "punk", emo and "metal", which is "thriving" on it's abliltiy to spew out an endless supply of cookie cutter screaming guy and cookie monster bands.

Since the record industry has become so album oriented, there are more acts which are coming out with first albums without getting a chance to fully develope their songwriting skills, resulting in way to much filler between the gems.  Maximo Park is good example of this, they show potential but the album could have easily been pared down to another EP.

It's been great this year to be able to see The Pixies, Gang of Four and Slickee Boys.  Acts that created an orginial sound, verses those newer acts that set out to sound like a specific act from the past.  i.e Interpol, Kasabian, Kaiser Chiefs..

I have no problem with artists that wear their influences on the sleeve as long what they create stands apart from the orginial.  Being able to write and arrange great songs is what matters most to me.  These are the acts that can get easily lost in the vast waste land of pro-tooled, band wagon jumping acts, etc.

These are artists still creating great music...

Baltimore's Myracle Brah take a healty dose of influence from the classic power pop of the 60's and adds in some 70s rock/punk attitude.  Just striaght up great catchy rock songwriting, not unlike Guided by Voices.

There is no doubt, that The Sugarplastic hasen't been inspired by The Beatles, XTC, etc.  But they took those influences and others and have put out my favorite album of the year.  Problem is that it could be overly quirky and clever for it's own good.

Eugene Edwards'sinfluences are clearily Rockpile, Squeeze and Elvis Costello.  But, he takes them and creates a fantastic collection of solid pop songs.  Kosmette loaded his record on her iPod on my recommendation and listened to and enjoyed it for several weeks without knowing who he was.

De Novo Dahl, The Magic Numbers, and The Delagdos (RIP), have each taken cues from a various pop sources and created thier own signatures sounds.

So don't give up hope, there is still great new music out there!
T.Rex

The_Creeper

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2005, 08:37:00 am »
Originally posted by snailhook:
  shoot ur shot knows what's up. it really is funny hearing people complain about how there is nothing new and original anymore, while some of the most vital, interesting, and innovative music is being performed a few miles from the computer they're tying on. it's there, it always has been and always will be; the problem is, you're not there.

people need to broaden their myopic views on what music is, even rock 'n' roll. i completely disagree with doctor doom's statement above: pop music may be limited to the same 4/4 time signature and the same three or four chord progressions, but rock doesn't necessarily have to abide by those widely accepted rules of harmony. there are still many different ways to compose music with a steady backbeat, and even more to compose music free of those constraints. you're not gonna hear it on the radio, and you're not gonna read about it in rolling stone or spin, but if you dig down deep enough, you'll find a well of mostly untapped -- and underheard -- musical ideas.

I agree with this 100%.

There's tons of great, innovative, new music out there from all over the world.

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2005, 09:19:00 am »
I think all of the great music HAS been created. But there are still plenty of good ways to resynthesize and repackage it so that we will enjoy it for years to come.

I don't want to be challenged by music, I want to be comforted. I want to listen to the Libertines because they remind me of the Clash, and that's comforting. Someone else may find the Libertines too challenging, and opt for the comfort of Clay Aiken.

Bottom line: I think most people would agree with me. Even those of us who like our music with an edge would agree that we prefer the familiar to the unfamiliar.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2005, 09:47:00 am »
Originally posted by Xavier Bush, Power Forward:
  I think all of the great music HAS been created. But there are still plenty of good ways to resynthesize and repackage it so that we will enjoy it for years to come.

So what your saying is new music can never be GREAT because all music created before it was GREAT.  Enjoy your armchair and watching bitchy people get judged by pompous business tychoons... Me I'll still be out there listening to GREAT new music
T.Rex

bearman🐻

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2005, 09:48:00 am »
I would like to think I put myself out there and try to see as much music as possible. And yet, the very best thing I heard last year was the DVD by the Screamers, a band that was never recorded and existed for a few years in the late 70's. It's not that I don't WANT to like a lot of more current bands. There are some great ones that do make some good records. But compared to the musical renaissance of the late 70's, there just aren't as many original ideas. I would never say that all current music sucks...of course there are some interesting things out there, but when one knows what came before today's hot new cool bands, it makes them all seem kind of irrelevant.

Big KC

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2005, 09:54:00 am »

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2005, 10:01:00 am »
Yes, but all of the bands you mention above, some of them even great, are ALL DERIVATIVE.

Of course there will continue to be great music created, forever and ever. But I took the question to be referring to new genres of music. I don't think any of the "new" genres that have sprung up in the last 20 years have been great.

Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:

Originally posted by Xavier Bush, Power Forward:

So what your saying is new music can never be GREAT because all music created before it was GREAT.  Enjoy your armchair and watching bitchy people get judged by pompous business tychoons... Me I'll still be out there listening to GREAT new music [/b]

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2005, 10:10:00 am »
So it's been downhill the minute the first human pounded two rocks together?
T.Rex