Author Topic: DC Represented on "I Love the 90s"  (Read 3888 times)

Random Citizen

DC Represented on "I Love the 90s"
« on: July 11, 2004, 01:06:00 pm »
Just watched the first episode of I Love the 90s on VH-1. (The series begins tomorrow night at 9pm.) They included a segment on Marion Barry's drug bust towards the beginning of the episode. The funniest comment was, "He was trying to put the Columbia (sic) back into District of Columbia."

chelledc

Re: DC Represented on "I Love the 90s"
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 11:00:00 am »
A man does crack and they make fun of him forever. A man does cocaine and we make him our president. Where's the justice in it?

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 11:05:00 am »
Barry got elected mayor after smoking crack, just as Bush for cocaine.

Who says we won't make fun of Bush forever? Could you imagine him getting all the positive attention Reagan has gotten in the last 5 weeks? hahahahaha

Originally posted by chelledc:
  A man does crack and they make fun of him forever. A man does cocaine and we make him our president. Where's the justice in it?

thirsty moore

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 11:43:00 am »
I might be mistaken, but didn't he announce that he'll be running for a city council position?

Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  Barry got elected mayor after smoking crack.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2004, 11:45:00 am »
Good point.....but things would be different if Bush had been filmed hitting the pipe with a hooker in some hotel....
 I suppose that's the real difference here.  Being a Bush doesn't hurt either.

Originally posted by chelledc:

Random Citizen

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2004, 11:46:00 am »
Yeah, he's supposedly running for the Ward 8 council seat, but that isn't going too well. His campaign manager quit stating that Barry isn't in good shape to run for the seat. Plus, the manager said Barry owes him something like $3k so he's withholding a bunch of campaign materials until he gets his money.

Originally posted by thirsty moore:
 [QB] I might be mistaken, but didn't he announce that he'll be running for a city council position?

chaz

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2004, 11:47:00 am »
Yeah in ward 8 i think and he'll probably win.  He looked rough on tv too....like he was minutes from his next hit.
 Edit- didn't see the previous post and didn't know these new developments.  I wonder if his campaign manager was referring to some drug issues.

Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  I might be mistaken, but didn't he announce that he'll be running for a city council position?

Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  Barry got elected mayor after smoking crack.
[/b]

Random Citizen

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2004, 11:52:00 am »
From the Post:

Ex-Campaign Manager Says Barry Isn't Up to Job

By Monte Reel
 Washington Post Staff Writer
 Saturday, July 3, 2004; Page B03

The former manager of Marion Barry's D.C. Council campaign denied yesterday that he was fired and instead said he resigned because the former mayor is not physically or mentally strong enough to mount a political comeback.

On Thursday, Barry released a letter dated June 29 stating that he was firing Dion Jordan as his campaign manager because of poor performance. Yesterday, Jordan released his own letter, which he said was written before Barry's, that stated he intended to resign because "you are not physically and mentally healthy enough to represent" Ward 8.

Jordan also said that Barry owes him more than $3,000 in pay.

Rest of the article

paige

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2004, 12:04:00 pm »
Originally posted by chaz:
  Good point.....but things would be different if Bush had been filmed hitting the pipe with a hooker in some hotel....

i'm always up for making fun of dubya, but if you think about how many people do/did/have done coke at least once in their lives, you'd have to reevaulate your question. i'm not saying that everyone in the world has done it, but a lot of people have. i just laugh when i try to imagine georgie cutting a big fat line.. and then tipping the mirror over and slicing himself on the razorblade.

Bags

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2004, 12:06:00 pm »
Within the month or two that I moved to DC, I was driving across town with a friend and we passed by quite a scene -- huge sound booms, enormous lights and cameras everywhere.  I said to my friend, "it's so cool to be in a big city -- look, they're filming a movie right here where we live and we just drove by!?!"  We got home, turned on the news later that night and found that the "movie" we'd seen was the Barry bust.  What a trip....And then the "Bitch set me up" t-shirts showed up at the sidewalk vendors.  Within a day or two...

Random Citizen

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2004, 12:12:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bagalicious Tangster:
  And then the "Bitch set me up" t-shirts showed up at the sidewalk vendors.  Within a day or two...
The t-shirt vendors have definitely perfected the art of printing their shirts faster since that incident. I attended Clinton's second inauguration and during one of the speeches (forget who it was) the guy said "Hillary Rodman Clinton." Well, sure enough, as we're leaving, there was a t-shirt stand with a photo of HRC sporting Dennis Rodman's multi-colored hair on it!

Jaguär

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2004, 10:37:00 pm »
Regardless of your political standings, DC is the perfect town for intellectual comedy.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I would absolutely LOVE to see a serious debate between Ross Perot and Louis Farrokkan(sp?). Why has this not happened yet!? SNL would try but could never top them.

Several years ago when I had cable tv, I use to love to watch on Sunday mornings the station from Howard University. They had their radio station set up for tv broadcasting and would televise some call in radio show with Marion Barry. Stumbled across it one morning and then looked for it intentionally often afterwards. This was while he was still mayor. It was great!!! All these people would call in to talk with him. Every single one of them; Black, White, whatever; would tell him off about how horrible he was at being mayor. Somehow, they'd always include pot holes into their arguement. Barry would always reply with some 'thank you' kind of comment with a smile. In the meantime, I would sit on my sofa laughing my ass off. What pure comedy!

Random Citizen, ever consider changing your name to Rodman Citizen?     :p

sm4269a

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2004, 10:36:00 am »
Marion Barry used to live in my apartment building on 13th st.  He used to hit on all the ladies in the building.  Including those with husbands.  He loves the females.  

At the same time, he was a good mayor.  Always made sure the city kids had summer jobs and shit.

ratioci nation

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2004, 10:45:00 am »
Originally posted by sm4269a:

At the same time, he was a good mayor.  Always made sure the city kids had summer jobs and shit.
and that none of the city services functioned at all

chaz

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2004, 11:15:00 am »
Oh yeah I totally agree with you.  My point was just that W will obviously have an easier time outrunning that legacy then Barry....for a # of reasons.  Being a Bush, being white, not bing filmed in the act etc.  Personally I don't think it's a big deal at all.  Having done drugs a few times in one's past would never sway me from a candidate...an active coke habit, well that's another story of course.  

It's just so ironic though with W's Bush Sr./Reagan/Just Say No! pedigree.

Originally posted by i do not heart your balls:

Originally posted by chaz:

i'm always up for making fun of dubya, but if you think about how many people do/did/have done coke at least once in their lives, you'd have to reevaulate your question. i'm not saying that everyone in the world has done it, but a lot of people have. i just laugh when i try to imagine georgie cutting a big fat line.. and then tipping the mirror over and slicing himself on the razorblade. [/b]