Author Topic: emusic suggestions  (Read 7368 times)

Vas Deferens

Re: emusic suggestions
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2007, 03:15:00 pm »
I downloaded:

the new Field Music
 Townes Van Zandt (self-titled)
 Black Angels' Passover

49 more downloads
(_|_)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2007, 03:26:00 pm »
If you like Mclusky checkout The Victorian English Gentlemen's Cub.  Who are of course Welsh and two thirds female.

you might also want to stock up on any V2 release under consideration, they could easily dump eMusic as a digital distributor.

as

V2 fires staff, splits with White Stripes, Moby
 Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:28 AM ET

By Ed Christman

NEW YORK (Billboard) - Indie record label V2 North America, home to such acts as the White Stripes, Moby and the Raconteurs, laid off its staff Friday and will primarily become a catalog label.

The label's parent company, Sheridan Square, also plans to focus on digital distribution. About 35 people, including president Andy Gershon, are believed to have lost their jobs as part of the restructuring.

The company will retain the White Stripes catalog, but will no longer issue new music by the duo or other frontline artists such as Moby or the Raconteurs, sources say. The only genre the company plans to participate in going forward is gospel.

In addition to the catalog, the company is looking for ways to grow business digitally. Part of that is said to be in talks that could include a merger or investment with a company that is pursuing a similar strategy in the video business.

V2 was founded by British entrepreneur Richard Branson in 1996. New York-based Sheridan Square bought the North American assets in February 2006.

Sheridan Square's principals include Joe Bianco, Anil Narang, Joe Pretlow, and the Stephens Group, which bought into the company last July during a financial restructuring.

Since 2003, Sheridan Square has spent an estimated $43 million acquiring indie labels V2 North America, Compendia and Artemis; distributor Musicrama; and certain catalog assets of Tone-Cool Records, Triloka, Ropeadope Records and Vanguard Classical.

Reuters/Billboard
T.Rex

brennser

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2007, 05:35:00 pm »
I downloaded:

the new Field Music
 Townes Van Zandt (self-titled)
 Black Angels' Passover

49 more downloads
ok, now how about downloading some of the recommendations we gave you

JimmyPop

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2007, 05:45:00 pm »
emusic has At the Drive-In... very awesome

beetsnotbeats

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2007, 08:10:00 pm »
Since 2003, Sheridan Square has spent an estimated $43 million acquiring indie labels V2 North America, Compendia and Artemis; distributor Musicrama; and certain catalog assets of Tone-Cool Records, Triloka, Ropeadope Records and Vanguard Classical.
With business practices like this how the fuck can anyone consider any of these labels "indie"? It just goes to show how meaningless the term has become.

PigIron

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2007, 10:26:00 pm »
I would pretty much spend the whole thing on the entire Clutch catalog.  If you have it already, go with a bunch of Jesus Lizard, or maybe "Liquor in the Front" by Reverend Horton Heat so you can rockabilly out all day long.  If thats too much, get the "Royal Tenenbaums" soundtrack.  It was on Comedy Central a few weeks ago and I noticed that the music was really good.  Happy shopping!

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2007, 10:54:00 pm »
I have no idea what is on emusic and I'm really not sure what sound you are going for but based solely on those you've already selected, maybe:

The Morning After Girls
 Darker My Love
 The High Dials
 The Stevenson Ranch Davidians

(In no particular order and anything by either of the above.)

I like that album by The Submarines and think you might too but not all that sure. If you are a fan, as I am, this is Jack Drag's new project along with his girlfriend who is F. Scott Fitzgerald's granddaughter. (Not that being the gd makes her worthy as a musician but she does a good job regardless. Just an interesting side note. I didn't hit Hoya's link since I already have the CD so maybe it was mentioned in there.)

El Jefe Design

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2007, 03:44:00 pm »
Noticed the Swami catalog was just uplaoded on emusic so you can get some sweet Hot Snakes, Dan Sartain, RFTC, and Sultans.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2007, 05:08:00 pm »
rerelease of The High Strung "Moxie Bravo" with four new tracks added

You Can Hurry Up
 Sit Up Straight
 Last Night Wasâ?¦
 You Got History

link
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2007, 05:33:00 pm »
Just noticed they have twoo Cactus World News albums up, a band I hadn't thought of in awhile.  It appears that a follow up to thier debut "Urban Beaches" which was record in 98 finally got released in 2004
T.Rex

Vas Deferens

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2007, 07:00:00 pm »
The Hot Snakes albums were there a year ago but got pulled for whoknowswhat...glad they're back.
(_|_)

Tom Servo

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2007, 06:46:00 pm »
Thanks for the High Strung link Kosmo.  If you look up the band on Emusic, only These Are Good Times comes up.  I just realized that's because they have Moxie Bravo mislabeled as by Highstrung (apparently a slightly older country outfit).

saco

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2007, 02:20:00 pm »
FYI: Nice interview of the president and CEO of emusic David Pakman.

http://www.pollstar.com/news/viewnews.pl?NewsID=7805

Vas Deferens

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2007, 08:01:00 pm »
Thanks for this recommendation, kosmo...went to see their show at the Black Cat backstage. They were very good, but they played for about 20 people (most people left after XYZ Affair, which I did not get at all).

Originally posted by kosmo:
  rerelease of The High Strung "Moxie Bravo" with four new tracks added

You Can Hurry Up
 Sit Up Straight
 Last Night Wasâ?¦
 You Got History

link
(_|_)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop