Author Topic: Pixies at Sonar  (Read 2379 times)

Mobius

Pixies at Sonar
« on: October 04, 2005, 01:11:00 am »
Fantastic show.  A real privilege to see the Pixies in a dark, smoky, claustrophic club.  They put on focused . . . purposeful show.  Seemed like the first 30 minutes were Surfer Rosa or Come on Pilgrim.  Later mixed in a good dose of Doolittle.  A few Trompe Le Monde songs.  I don't remember Bossanova songs.

It struck me that the band looked younger.  Frank Black Francis w/ hair and looking thinner.  Kim Deal smiling and looking like the Kim Deal you sort of fell in love with a long time ago.  There was a somewhat surreal sense of suspended time being at Sonar - which struck me as having an old 9:30 Club feel - with the band, seemingly ageless, playing seemingly ageless songs.  It wasn't so much a feeling of nostalgia - it was that this thing was still alive - maybe never to be seen again, or maybe w/ enough life to go on lead to something new.    

Not to sound ridiculous, but I got a feeling like the band was serving perfect waves for the crowd to ride in a Hawaii equivalent for their music - a dark crowded club.  (the songs really are like waves.  rising. falling.  driving. mellow. intense. repetitive riffs can go on infinitely w/out getting old.  surfer rosa.  wave of mutiliation.  SoCal imagery (hermosa etc.).  makes sense.

I saw Frank Black at Black Cat in Nov. 02 and when he played a few Pixies songs I thought he must feel a void w/out the chemistry of the rest of the band.  There was one moment in particular on Friday - I forget the song - but Black and Kim Deal were trading lines at the end of the song . . . complimenting eachother . . . w/ Kim's line more and more perfect each time she sang it . . . and Black seemed to break down and turned his back and went to the back of the stage.  Like he's was overcome by the moment.  Or not.  But maybe.

Great show.  Great venue.  The Pixies show I always wanted to see . . . better late than never.

PigIron

Re: Pixies at Sonar
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 02:02:00 am »
Nice review.  Im pissed I didn't go.  Tickets were sold out before I had a clue.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 08:55:00 am »
yeah, great show.  sounded really good too.  cheap beer as well (no $6 Yuengling, but $2 natty bohs)
 i thought kim deal looked great, but frank looked like crap.

Chip Chanko

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 09:13:00 am »
My neck's still sore...

sonickteam2

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 09:13:00 am »
i will chime in too.

the show was awesome.  I almost didnt go because i had seen them at Coachella, and that would've been a mistake. they were like not even the same band.

at Coachella they looked like some old resurrected band playing some old hits.. here they looked like some old band that had never stopped playing their old hits.

i liked them a lot, and i like Sonar a lot and it was a damn fun night...

also, weekend shows at Sonar are way cool cause after the show is over, you walk right into a night club!!!!!!  you can go to an aftershow party, without walking outside!  neato i think.

duderino

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 09:22:00 am »
they had a pile of free tickets at the door, people who couldn't sell them outside just left them there.

it was disappointing to see the crowd so flat, maybe it was just too crowded to jump around and what not. and it was really surprising that they didn't play 'here comes your man'. i definitely hurt my left ear during joey's vamos solo. something was up with the sound every now and then. it was definitely a great show, my sixth time seeing them, but i think i'd rank it as my third favorite performance though, behind the merriweather show and lollapalooza.

ooh, and i'm guessing the song the first poster was thinkin of was 'winterlong'. i always get giddy when they play that one.

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 09:29:00 am »
I can see Kim Deal complementing Black Francis. But did she really compliment him? I'm having a hard time envisioning that.

sonickteam2

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 09:31:00 am »
Originally posted by duderino:
  they had a pile of free tickets at the door, people who couldn't sell them outside just left them there.

Fans 1 , Scalpers 0

brennser

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005, 09:33:00 am »

wow!

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 10:26:00 am »
Dark,smokey and claustrophobic are very true....This was my 5th Pixies show dating back to 1990......It was great seeing them in a club for sure......the place was very crowded....seems like they maybe oversold it....but it was a pretty cool venue for my first time there.....the band was in top notch form and the setlist was great....I even got both versions of "Wave Of Mutilation" which was very cool....the band looked like they were having a great time....the one thing that really jerked my chain was the fact that when the show was over it took forever to get out of the goddamn place!....they had you go thru the entrance that would lead to the night club to try to get you in the other club before you left.........I just wanted to go outside as did tons of other people standing around me....they should of opened the doors leading out to the street to let the crush of folks out of the main hall.......that being said......I'll be front & center at the Gang Of Four show tommorrow night at Sonar!.......and the pillars in the middle of the club truly suck....but,that's a structural thing I guess...

sonickteam2

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2005, 10:34:00 am »
the place used to be a parking garage.

so yes, its a structural thing.  its unfortunate, but it gives it that "fenway park" feel to it!  :)

amnesiac

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2005, 10:37:00 am »
Originally posted by duderino:

Yeah, I had someone bail on me at the last minute so I ended up with an extra, and had a harder time getting rid of it than I expected.

edbert

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2005, 10:38:00 am »
Noticed this on ice mag under this week's releases:
 DVD Pixies Sell Out (reunion tour footage from seven 2004 shows; ICE #223) (Rhino)

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2005, 10:53:00 am »
Originally posted by edbert:
  Noticed this on ice mag under this week's releases:
 DVD Pixies Sell Out (reunion tour footage from seven 2004 shows; ICE #223) (Rhino)
>> I think this is released today or tommorrow....I saw an ad for it in Rolling Stone...I'm going to pick it up....should be on sale on it's release date at Tower or Best Buy....