Author Topic: The Brought Low  (Read 1754 times)

eddie

• Global Moderator
The Brought Low
« on: April 26, 2004, 01:31:00 am »
Anybody got any info on this band?  All I can figure is they are from NY and have a crap for information website.

ratioci nation

Re: The Brought Low
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 07:17:00 am »

snailhook

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 09:24:00 pm »
the brought low play some pretty fine southern-inspired, power trio stoner rock. normally, i'm not so into the southern stuff -- i go for the heavy demented doom, noise, and sludge instead -- but these guys nail it without sounding retro. they're based in brooklyn but a couple of the guys have roots in the south, i think. the current bassist used to be in the legendary atlanta slowcore/sludge behemoth, harvey milk, who sound nothing like the brought low.

their website has been basically defunct for some time now. tee pee records is your best bet on finding out more info on them. they play around NYC a lot and will be at the emissions from the monolith festival in youngstown, ohio next month.

grotty

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 09:36:00 pm »
from allmusic.com:

Classic rock is alive and well in New York City â?? Brooklyn anyway. Forget the Strokes, wayward brothers and sisters of the new millennium â?? this is where it's at! Seriously though, given the renewed search for musical legitimacy that is seemingly taking hold of the kids, post-September 11, maybe the Brought Low could make a run for it with their old-school hard rock. On this self-titled debut, the trio delivers a relatively gimmick-free set of tunes, boasting ultra-groovy riffs and plenty of road-tested retro-rock & roll. His peculiar, somewhat nasal voice aside (he sounds like Bon Scott minus the grit), guitar man Benjamin Howard Smith has found himself one of the richest, chunkiest, most appealing Les Paul tones heard in some time. This, in fact, is the secret behind album standouts like "What I Found," "Goddamn God Bless," and "Hot n' Cold." The rest of the disc isn't quite as immediate, but the Southern rockish "Kings & Queens" has a feel-good, Skynyrd jamming with Aerosmith feel. And slow-grinding bluesy nuggets like the exquisite "Deathbed" and the easy-jammin' "Outer Borough Dust Run" (which crackles to life on a textbook AC/DC riff) make for a very nice ride indeed. Recommended.

The Brought Low