Author Topic: Furs reunion tour skips DC  (Read 3435 times)

Bags

Furs reunion tour skips DC
« on: February 24, 2004, 11:54:00 pm »
Son of a bitch...how do you skip D.C.???  And Baltimore's on a damn thursday....

Totally Psyched
 Updated 01:56 PST Tue, Feb 24 2004

'80s alt-rockers The Psychedelic Furs are heading out on the road once again. Their latest North American tour kicks off March 12 in West Hollywood. Three different House of Blues venues and four Hard Rock Cafes are on the itinerary, which runs through April 6.

One of the most revered bands to come out of England's new wave scene in the 1980s, the Furs were formed in England in 1977 by brothers Richard (trademark gravelly vocals) and Tim Butler (bass), and their eponymous debut was released to little attention in 1980.

However, their second album, Talk Talk Talk, yielded a minor hit called "Pretty In Pink." It would be remade in 1986 as the title song of the hugely popular movie of the same name. In 1982, the Furs were still relatively unknown in the U.S., so they moved over from England, hooked up with producer Todd Rundgren and landed a Top 50 single with the hypnotic "Love My Way."

The film "Pretty In Pink" boosted their name recognition in time for the 1986 release of one of their biggest records, Midnight to Midnight. There would be two more albums, but neither would approach the success of their earlier efforts, and the band split up after their final tour in 1992.

They regrouped in 2000 to tour as the opener for the Go-Go's/B-52's tour, and started headlining their own shows once again the following year.

Thu   04/01/04       Baltimore, MD   Hard Rock Cafe  

Fri   04/02/04       Philadelphia, PA   Hard Rock Cafe  

Sun   04/04/04       Atlantic City, NJ   Hard Rock Cafe  

Tue   04/06/04       Boston, MA   Hard Rock Cafe  

Meanwhile, Smackie, you get two dates in San Fran....

Fri   03/12/04       West Hollywood, CA   House Of Blues  

Sat   03/13/04       Anaheim, CA   House Of Blues  

Sun   03/14/04       Ventura, CA   Ventura Theatre  

Mon   03/15/04       San Francisco, CA   Slim's  

Tue   03/16/04       San Francisco, CA   Great American Music Hall  

Fri   03/19/04       Portland, OR   Roseland Theater  

Sat   03/20/04       Seattle, WA   The Premiere  

Tue   03/23/04       Spokane, WA   Big Easy  

Thu   03/25/04       Park City, UT   Plan B / The Nightclub  

Fri   03/26/04       Englewood, CO   Gothic Theatre  

Mon   03/29/04       Chicago, IL   House Of Blues  

Tue   03/30/04       Mount Clemens, MI   Emerald Theatre

Guiny

Re: Furs reunion tour skips DC
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2004, 09:38:00 am »
What ever will i do?   :roll:

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2004, 09:46:00 am »
apparently hard rock cafes aren't content just displaying rock memorabilia  in order to get people to pony up for medicore food... they have moved on to the actually artifacts themselves
T.Rex

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 09:57:00 am »
The last time I saw them (5/11/01 - 9:30) I thought they were pretty bad.  Richard's voice sounded terrible - even by P-Furs standards.  I hate saying that, because they were once my all-time favorite band.

Bags

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004, 10:07:00 am »
I saw them at Nation with Echo and the Bunnymen (maybe....2 years ago?), and I thought they were great.  Granted, I'd had a number of red bull and vodkas....

bearman🐻

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2004, 10:23:00 am »
Sorry Bags, but I have to laugh...if you had been sober you might have noticed that they sucked ass. Just my opinion though. Don't you remember the way they butchered "Pretty in Pink" at the end? It was like watching an old guy try to pick up on the pretty young girl at a bar, only to be shot down in flames. It just seemed to me like they had a VERY bad night, but I'm still not interested in seeing them again. In all fairness they WERE having sound problems. By comparison I thought Echo blew their asses off the stage, especially with the version of "Do It Clean/Roadhouse Blues".

Bags

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2004, 10:31:00 am »
Originally posted by bunnyman:
  Sorry Bags, but I have to laugh...if you had been sober you might have noticed that they sucked ass. Just my opinion though.
:D  That's why I added the bit about the vodka drinks...it was one of those nights.  Wish we hadn't had quite so much to drink, as Echo was fantastic, but also a bit hazy in my memory...  It was Nation and I was with a couple friends who frequent the place late night Saturdays and are used to getting just hammered.  And I went along.  Aah, the hazy days of youth....    :p

Guiny

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2004, 11:18:00 am »
I've seen them the last two times they came to the 9:30 Club and thought they were really good.

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2004, 11:19:00 am »
Another Red Bull and vodka drinker...

Originally posted by Rob_Gee_a.k.a _Guiny:
  I've seen them the last two times they came to the 9:30 Club and thought they were really good.

mankie

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2004, 11:27:00 am »
I saw them at the 930 last time and they were excellent, on my "one of the best" at the 930....I also saw them at Nation (when Bags was trashed) and they had a hard go of it with the sound. They didn't even finish Pretty in Pink and you could see Richard Butler shrug his shoulders as if to apologize to the audience. I think the Nation show was more of an equipment problem than the band.

Echo more than made up for it though. Coincidently Echo at the 930 is also on my "one of the best" list.

Sweetjoy

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2004, 11:30:00 am »
The last time they came through 9:30, I thought Richard Butler was doing a bad Austin Powers imitation. What was up with his hair? Oh, and I didn't think much of the performance either.

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2004, 11:31:00 am »
So anybody think Yogi Berra will hit one over the fence at the Yankee old timers game this year?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2004, 11:44:00 am »
speaking of the bunnymen... the newly remastered with bonus tracks cds have landed on our shore.  so much for me and mankie spending money on any new artists.

crocodiles + 10 bonus tracks
 heaven up here + 5
 ocean rain + 8
 porcupine +7
 self titled + 7

Got Bonus Tracks?
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2004, 11:47:00 am »
and since we are triping down memory lane...

for dupek
T.Rex

Bags

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2004, 12:01:00 pm »
This kind of pisses me off.  Foo fighters are doing the same thing with their first three albums -- each new release will have 5 or more new tracks.  I've already bought every album (with Echo, I've bought most of 'em twice -- vinyl and CD)....

Not a trend I like.

Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  speaking of the bunnymen... the newly remastered with bonus tracks cds have landed on our shore.  so much for me and mankie spending money on any new artists.

crocodiles + 10 bonus tracks
 heaven up here + 5
 ocean rain + 8
 porcupine +7
 self titled + 7

Got Bonus Tracks?