Author Topic: Q: How Bad Did David Gray Suck 2Nite?  (Read 2889 times)

YBaverage

Q: How Bad Did David Gray Suck 2Nite?
« on: August 07, 2005, 01:56:00 am »
A: REAL REAL REAL BAD!!!  Bar None The Worst Show I Ever Been To At 9:30!  I don't even like the song "Babylon" HOWEVER how could you not even play your bread and butter song. I thought people were going to run outside and loot the Tour Bus, I actually am still considering it!

I saw a girl at the bar 2nite pass out and fall flat on her face, at first I was worried for her, but I quicked realized that she was one of many lucky people who passed out and missed part of this crap show! People said it was the heat, well...MAYBE, but I also saw David Gray fall flat on his face tonite, and he looked cool as a cucumber (expect for his USUAL yet UNUSUAL head bobbing,.... totally WEIRD).  I think I could have used my time tonite a bit more wisely, such as...sitting indian-style in the middle of the intersection at Florida and New York Avenue. I think Mr Gray should quit music and become a full time Leprechaun. Or work for a suicide hotline, one that talks you into it!  

ALSO, no doubt about it.  9:30 club oversold this concert by a ton, I have seen way over 50 SOLD OUT shows at the 9:30 and this was unbearably OVERCROWDED! Never Ever Have I Seen It Close To This Amount Of People....  AND FOR $35.00 PER TICKET, I THINK WE COULD HAVE SPLURGED ON SOME A/C!  The Music, The Heat, The Crowd, The People Falling Out All Over The Place, I thought for a second I was at Jonestown, but that was just wishful thinking!

Management Tip of the day:
 CHARGE MORE MONEY, AND SELL LESS TICKETS!

Sincerely,
    A Newly Ex-David Gray Fan.
 YBaverage

lily1

Re: Q: How Bad Did David Gray Suck 2Nite?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 02:15:00 am »
if you hated the show so much, why didn't you just walk out and go someplace else?  

the show was fantastic, and, if you didn't know, and you should have known, this brief tour is entirely a promotional tour for his new album. that's why literally 80% of the set was from "life in slow motion." i've seen him perform 3 times in the last 2 days, and have been beyond impressed with the material from the forthcoming album.

so here's a tip, if you were so disappointed with both the club (and it wasn't hot buddy, if you want hot, try the sigur ros show 2 years ago), and david gray's performance, don't patronize the club again, and don't purchase tickets to his october 3 show.

easy enough solution to your complaints, eh?      :roll:

imaginarycolors

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2005, 04:57:00 am »
I did think it was weird he left without playing Babylon but if most of the stuff he played is gonna be on the new album, than I am actually gonna buy that album cause the new songs stuck to my head or kept me interested, especially the second song in the set, that should be a hit, I don't like the first single he released, that was probably the boring song of the night. And what heat, I felt pretty fine in there, didn't sweat out balls, hell not even a sweatdrop fell from my head. But it was a good show, I'm glad he made his new album sound good live or else this show probably would've made me sleep too

joeavrage

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2005, 05:30:00 am »
Originally posted by YBaverage:

ALSO, no doubt about it.  9:30 club oversold this concert by a ton...
Highly doubt it. Perhaps the crowd was particularly fat?

hostiledm

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2005, 09:30:00 am »
Amazing show. The sound was amazing. The band was dead on. The new songs sounded great. A really great experience.

Actually, the only thing that bothered me was all the idiots around me that were bitching about how they 'don't recognize any of the songs'. Maybe if all these people took a minute, and shut the fuck up and listened, they would have got more from the show.

palahniukkubrick

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2005, 09:38:00 am »
Originally posted by My Cat Can DJ:

Highly doubt it. Perhaps the crowd was particularly fat? [/b]
yeah, I know quite a few david gray fans who are fatsos.

wxdude

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2005, 10:52:00 pm »
I thought the show was great, and I didn't miss hearing Babylon at all.  In fact, it's probably not even in my top three favorite songs from White Ladder.  I thought the new material was great, especially The One I Love and Alibi. I definitely will be going to the DAR show in October!

chef1065

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2005, 12:57:00 am »
Considering that this was entirely a promotional tour, I got exactly what I expected - the opportunity to hear fantastic new material.  I'm sure there were a lot of die-hard fans like myself who have been waiting anxiously for this album.  It gave people who have been following his music for years an opportunity to see something special - like letting a small group of people in on something before everyone gets their hands on it - because in such a small, intimate venue - you know it's going to be filled with dedicated fans.  I feel like a got a great "sneak preview".  I have no doubt that when his bigger tour kicks off - you are going to hear not only the new stuff, but great older material as well.  When I saw him shortly after the release of A New Day at Midnight he played several cuts from that CD but probably played 15-20 songs from all his other albums.  I'm sure that when I catch him in November many of the ones we heard last night will be some of my new favorites and I'll be singing right along to those too.  Cut the guy a break...how many other performers would even  bother playing a handful of shows to such small crowds.  I got a dose of what I love about David Gray...he keeps churning out great songs.

Jaguär

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2005, 01:10:00 am »
I wasn't at the show so can't speak to that and, personally, couldn't care less, not being a fan.

However, I've got to say, YBaverage, please stick around. That post was great reading.    :D    I thoroughly enjoyed doing so. Apparently, much more than you enjoyed the show. If most of your posts are like that one, than, in my book, you are right up there with PigIron, J'Mal and Walkonby, among a few others.

Reminds me a lot of J'Mal's glowing review of the Badly Drawn Boy show from a couple years back. The two of you must have gone to the same school of music journalism. Or...is that you J'Mal with a new account?

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2005, 05:36:00 am »
That head thing he does is, well, how should I say......interesting!

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2005, 08:01:00 am »

Management Tip of the day:
 CHARGE MORE MONEY, AND SELL LESS TICKETS!

Yup this strategy works real well for The Rolling Stones, U2, McCartney, Coldplay, Maroon 5, etc, etc etc
T.Rex

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2005, 08:44:00 am »

i wonder if fire departments have had to change capacity requirements in clubs/restaurants/elevators due to our obesity epidemic ... that'd be a great story
(o|o)

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2005, 08:54:00 am »
Originally posted by HoyaParanoia:
  i wonder if fire departments have had to change capacity requirements in clubs/restaurants/elevators due to our obesity epidemic ... that'd be a great story
Sounds like something we'd read in TheOnion.

Jaguär

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2005, 12:34:00 am »
Originally posted by HoyaParanoia:

i wonder if fire departments have had to change capacity requirements in clubs/restaurants/elevators due to our obesity epidemic ... that'd be a great story [/b]
Airlines have had to deal with this. Of course, the heavy weights got together and threw there weight around, so to speak, which made for a very touchy subject. The thing that airlines do have on their side though is that they will crash if they overload the plane.

Then there is the size of the seat issue and do you charge Two Ton Tessy for 1 seat or 2....or more, as needed?