Author Topic: Is it just me or....  (Read 4087 times)

sonickteam2

Re: Is it just me or....
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2004, 03:28:00 pm »
food stamps are no biggie

everyone in my neighborhood is on food stamps....and they live next door to me...seems wierd. i must have the most expensive apartment on the block!

Liberte

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2004, 06:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:

and Canadian's dont destroy homes do they?
No, but their effect on property values seems to be similar.  Wasn't some Canadian guy just bragging how he had driven his neighbors to dependence on food stamps?

SHisIT

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2004, 11:31:00 pm »
if i choose to become a construction worker; for example, and i get blown off the high steel in a strong wind gust, should the government make it up to me financially? and if so, why should this giving spirit be limited to "natural" disasters? isn't a disaster just a large scale tragedy? why are only large scale disasters compensated? what about pre-meditated killings like the sniper attacks which were willingly comitted by an american citizen? or the serial arsonist, why won't they pay for those repairs?

from the coast in, there should be a "you're screwed" zone, where the government won't bail you out. at some point, individual assumed risk has to kick in, and the management assumes no responsibility. should they leave florida? if they don't like paying for/ rebuilding from hurricanes, then yes. Same for tornado alley and california. blizzards don't destroy everything in their path, so head north, head inland, steer clear of trailer parks. if you have to live in a trailer park, remember: your house has wheels, get the fuck out of there.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2004, 12:56:00 am »
a perspective from a sarasota, fl ex-pat:

this goes to a much deeper issue, mainly that there are many places people just shouldn't live ... barrier islands are created and destroyed by major storms like these, if you build on them you should know the risks you're getting into ... the beautiful island you live on was created by a storm, and it will also be destroyed by one.

coastlines change constantly due to both natural reasons and human activity, but when you build a $10 million home on the beach, you don't want your land to evaporate ... florida spends millions and millions of dollars annually to "protect" and re-sand the beach ...

that said, are people going to start trying to live harmoniously with their surroundings? of course not, they'll keep building and building and building.
(o|o)

sonickteam2

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2004, 08:43:00 am »
Originally posted by Liberte:

and Canadian's dont destroy homes do they?
No, but their effect on property values seems to be similar.  Wasn't some Canadian guy just bragging how he had driven his neighbors to dependence on food stamps? [/b]
are you speaking of me?

i have to hear this one!

Random Citizen

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2004, 07:32:00 pm »
Related to the hurricane's remnants hitting the area...

Why is it I saw so many people walking around in flip-flops and no poncho/jacket/umbrella today? Did 5 busloads of Californians roll into town? I wouldn't care so much, but when they're blocking the fuckin' door of a store because they're seeking a dry spot, it's getting out of hand.

poorlulu

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2004, 07:38:00 pm »
flip flops in the rain isn't really a bad idea...........feet don't get really wet at least they don't stay that way anyway........

i just assume naturally that americans are that stupid...... and i stay out of the way when something bad is going to happen though.............

god bless dumericans..............

Random Citizen

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2004, 07:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by poorlulu:
  flip flops in the rain isn't really a bad idea...........feet don't get really wet at least they don't stay that way anyway........

I guess you haven't seen the phenomenon called "flip-flop'n-slide."  :D  If it's a light rain, feet can handle the traction, but not in a downpour like today.

poorlulu

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2004, 07:43:00 pm »
Originally posted by Random Citizen:

I guess you haven't seen the phenomenon called "flip-flop'n-slide." [/b]
yeah i've seen kerry speak.............what was your point?

Random Citizen

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2004, 07:45:00 pm »
  yeah i've seen kerry speak.............what was your point?
Ba dum bum.

Bags

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2004, 09:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by SHisIT:
  and if so, why should this giving spirit be limited to "natural" disasters? isn't a disaster just a large scale tragedy? why are only large scale disasters compensated?
They're often compensated.  Talk to the 9/11 millionaires.

Again,the hurricanes were NOT a coastal or a barrier island issue.  Frances pummelled Orlando, as well as Port Charlotte.  Man, I hope folks are more helpful and sympathetic if a plane falls on your house....And it's more often trailers and manufactured homes that get completely destroyed.  You know, working folks who live where they work...

sonickteam2

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2004, 09:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
   Man, I hope folks are more helpful and sympathetic if a plane falls on your house.
do we live in a region that has "plane falling season"

Liberte

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2004, 10:47:00 pm »

Originally posted by Bags:
   Man, I hope folks are more helpful and sympathetic if a plane falls on your house.
do we live in a region that has "plane falling season" [/b]
Well, it's not a "season," exactly.  But given where the Capital City of the Great Satan sits on the al-Quaida target list, falling planes might be somewhat more of a hazard here than in, I dunno, Calgary.

And regarding your previous query, that  was a pretty fat straight line you fed me.

sonickteam2

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2004, 11:49:00 pm »
  Well, it's not a "season," exactly.  But given where the Capital City of the Great Satan sits on the al-Quaida target list, falling planes might be somewhat more of a hazard here than in, I dunno, Calgary.

I'll make sure i look up on a regular basis...  :roll:

sonickteam2

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2004, 11:50:00 pm »

And regarding your previous query, that  was a pretty fat straight line you fed me.
a fat straight line i fed you? am i supposed to know what that means?