Author Topic: Top Five All-Time Greatest Debut Albums  (Read 11310 times)

sonickteam2

Re: Top Five All-Time Greatest Debut Albums
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2004, 11:06:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  All of those albums have predictable song structure, and lame choruses.    :)

vansmack

« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2004, 01:05:00 pm »
  You are correct. The self-titled album was their thrid album, after Mommy's Little Monster and Prison Bound. Believe it or not, I used to be a big Social Distortion fan.

Originally posted by chaz:
   I'm pretty sure that Mommy's Little Monster was SD's first proper LP......didn't the self titled record come out sometime in the 90's?
[/b]
I always considered those first two EP's and not LP's.  Though, not knowing the technical difference, you could be right.

The self titled album was the first major label release.

I see your points though as I took issue with "Nothing's Shocking" being on the list because I had about 17 different Jane's albums before the first major label release, widely regarded as their debut album.
27>34

lionforce5

« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2004, 01:21:00 pm »
Portishead - Dummy
 Photek - Modus Operandi
 Reprazent - New Forms
 Jazzanova - In Between
 Jill Scott - Who Is Jill Scott?

All the others have been mentioned...these are just some that blew me away when I first heard them.

« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2004, 01:23:00 pm »
good call. forgot about that one.

Originally posted by j_lee:
  Portishead - Dummy

joz

« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2004, 02:00:00 pm »
  All of those albums have predictable song structure, and lame choruses.    :D    
Originally posted by joz:
  neutral milk hotel/on avery island

tom waits/closing time

elvis costello/my aim is true

the verve/a storm in heaven (better than SIH is voyager 1, which was technically the "debut" but doesn't count here cause it was a live ep)

...and i know it's already been mentioned but
 gnr's appetite for destruction is probably the all-time best debut album
[/b]
it's funny, rhett, but i haven't seen any of the driveby truckers albums on the "best" threads today...they may be prolific but their catalog is shite.

ggw

« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2004, 02:04:00 pm »
If not for my self-imposed ban on bands that haven't been releasing albums for at least a decade, I probably would have included one of the last three DBT albums.

it's funny, rhett, but i haven't seen any of the driveby truckers albums on the "best" threads today...they may be prolific but their catalog is shite.

grotty

« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2004, 02:09:00 pm »
   i haven't seen any of the driveby truckers albums on the "best" threads today...they may be prolific but their catalog is shite.
Wow - that's just untrue. Their first 2 records are wildly uneven & The 3rd is a live comp. As GGW mentioned though, the last three would make any list for me where they apply.

Don't take your dislike for Rhett out on this fine band.  ;)

« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2004, 02:09:00 pm »
I don't think Drive By Truckers really hit their stride until their FOURTH album, Southern Rock Opera.

If there is a thread for best three albums in a row, their last three albums would be at the top of my list.

All of those albums have predictable song structure, and lame choruses.     :D      
  neutral milk hotel/on avery island

tom waits/closing time

elvis costello/my aim is true

the verve/a storm in heaven (better than SIH is voyager 1, which was technically the "debut" but doesn't count here cause it was a live ep)

...and i know it's already been mentioned but
 gnr's appetite for destruction is probably the all-time best debut album
[/b]
it's funny, rhett, but i haven't seen any of the driveby truckers albums on the "best" threads today...they may be prolific but their catalog is shite. [/b]

igor

« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2004, 02:15:00 pm »
big star - #1 record
 velvet underground & nico - s/t
 jeff buckley - grace
 bjork - debut
 uncle tupelo - no depression

some more:
 queens of the stone age - s/t
 fred neil - bleeker and macdougal
 tim hardin - tim hardin 1
 nick drake - five leaves left
 naked city - torture garden
 dillinger escape plan - calculating infinity
 napalm death - scum
 cynic - focus
 the stooges - s/t
 metallica - kill 'em all
 death - scream bloody gore

« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2004, 02:22:00 pm »
She obviously has a bone to pick with DBT:

joz
 Member # 1722
 we ended up taking a taxi back to our place with a stranger who had been at the drive-by truckers show. i actually felt sorry for them and all of the others that went to DBT instead...they don't even realize that they missed out on the most interesting show to hit dc in a long time.
 ------------------------------------------------
 whatever makes you happy, rhett...personally, the DBTs bore the shit out of me; their music seems to be designed for those who prefer their music spoon-fed in chunks of predictable song-structure and lame choruses that are repeated ad nauseum.  

Originally posted by grotty:

i haven't seen any of the driveby truckers albums on the "best" threads today...they may be prolific but their catalog is shite.
Wow - that's just untrue. Their first 2 records are wildly uneven & The 3rd is a live comp. As GGW mentioned though, the last three would make any list for me where they apply.

Don't take your dislike for Rhett out on this fine band.   ;)  [/b]

joz

« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2004, 02:27:00 pm »
i'm honestly not a fan of the DBT and i don't think anything could convince me otherwise...do we have to start prefacing everything in this forum with "in my opinion" (as in "in my opinion the DBT's catalog is shite")? trust me, i'm not saying it just to piss rhett off.

anyway, rhett always takes it too personal when someone doesn't agree with his musical leanings (case in point...carrying grudges over from another thread).  doesn't bother me a bit though...i realize that even crappy bands need fans too.  how would groups like color me badd go on to create such timeless classics as "i wanna sex you up" without a strong fanbase to support them?

joz

« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2004, 02:32:00 pm »
in my defense, let me say that i DID NOT post anything negative or inflammatory on the DBT thread...that's for the fans to share their thoughts on the show, etc. i merely made a statement on the fiery furnaces thread which rhett, of course, had to chime in on and continues to drag out here. oy vey.

« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2004, 02:32:00 pm »
dude, i carried that over as a joke.
 it's cool if you don't like Drive By Truckers. I think Elvis Costello, Guns and Roses, and the Verve all suck.

i'm honestly not a fan of the DBT and i don't think anything could convince me otherwise...do we have to start prefacing everything in this forum with "in my opinion" (as in "in my opinion the DBT's catalog is shite")? trust me, i'm not saying it just to piss rhett off.

anyway, rhett always takes it too personal when someone doesn't agree with his musical leanings (case in point...carrying grudges over from another thread).  doesn't bother me a bit though...i realize that even crappy bands need fans too.  how would groups like color me badd go on to create such timeless classics as "i wanna sex you up" without a strong fanbase to support them?

sonickteam2

« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2004, 02:39:00 pm »
not that we need another opinion, but someone on the board sent me a DBT Cd, and i appreciate it very much, that they did that.   But i listened to it once, and couldnt find any reason to listen to it again, unless i wanted to listen to something and not have to pay attn to it.

clearly not my style of music, and not a band to win over the masses.  but that doesnt mean they are bad....sort of.

joz

« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2004, 02:44:00 pm »
  dude, i carried that over as a joke.
 it's cool if you don't like Drive By Truckers. I think Elvis Costello, Guns and Roses, and the Verve all suck.

[/b]
well, thanks rhett...now i have the dbt hootenanny posse after me.