Author Topic: Underwhelming albums of 2007 (so far!)  (Read 7241 times)

bnyced0

Re: Underwhelming albums of 2007 (so far!)
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2007, 09:12:00 pm »
Originally posted by le sonick:

Originally posted by bnyced0:
  At first blush the new Bloc Party didn't grab me, but it has gotten better with every listen to the point I think it's brillant.
i really think brilliant is going a bit far!

fun, exciting, energetic, infectous...maybe, but brilliant seems like it would imply some sort of originality and innovative---ness. [/b]
Who do you think they sound like or ripped off for this particular album?

And to abuse the word I think Favorite Worst Nightmare is brillant as well.

PigIron

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2007, 10:13:00 pm »
By a country mile, the new Stooges record.

bnyced0

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2007, 08:11:00 am »
Originally posted by PigIron:
  By a country mile, the new Stooges record.
We have a winner!

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2007, 08:53:00 am »
Amy Winehouse - Don't understand what the fuss is about with it's lifeless soul music created via sampler..
T.Rex

bnyced0

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2007, 09:01:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo:
  Amy Winehouse - Don't understand what the fuss is about with it's lifeless soul music created via sampler..
Try "Frank" and if the feeling persists then she just isn't your cup of tea...uh umm bourbon.  She's not terribly original, but it's not a genre that has many barriers left to be broken.  She is however a gifted vocalist who has the chops live.  Whether the album seems contrived/studio machinations is a personal opinion but she's no joke as a performer, when's she's sober (or drunk) enough to perform.  There in lies the "fuss" I think, she kills live... the albums are good, but not earth shattering and I think the real fuss is limited to the UK, selling 60K albums here really isn't shit.

Relaxer

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2007, 09:08:00 am »
I can see that, and her public persona of wanting to be the female Pete Doherty is tiring and boring. But I've got to admit I love the first 5 songs, and I play them all the time. The tunes, the sound, her voice -- I think it's really appealing. I also love Neon Bible, even more than Funeral, so go figure.

Disappointments thus far:
 Kings of Leon
 Fratellis
 LCD Soundsystem
oword

Relaxer

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2007, 09:13:00 am »
Originally posted by bnyced0:

[qb]I think the real fuss is limited to the UK, selling 60K albums here really isn't shit. [/b]
She sold 60k her first week, when hardly anyone knew about her here. Back to Black will sell a million-plus in the US, eventually. It's just now getting pushed by the labels, and her theatre shows are selling out all over the country. She still might end up a one-hit wonder, but I'm betting she'll get at least 2 big hits off the album.
oword

K8teebug

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2007, 09:48:00 am »
I also agree that the new CYHSY and Bloc Party suck.  

terrible.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2007, 10:48:00 am »
so whats disappointing about the Voxtrot? is it all new material or a combo of old and new.  i always found the production on the EPs a bit lacking is that still the case.  just curious...
T.Rex

kcjones119

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2007, 10:53:00 am »
I think a few of the songs on the new Ted Leo are real clunkers and some are embarassing mistakes (that f'ing white boy reggae song, parts of bomb.repeat.bomb).  There are some songs I really like, but overall underwhelming.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2007, 11:11:00 am »
I just saw Amy in Philly and she was really good.  She seemed either really bored or nervous.  No one could understand what she was saying between songs, though.  I believe she was speaking "English."  She's just a wee little girl.  But the brief tank top and daisy dukes helped.

I was a bit disappointed by the Modest Mouse album.  However, I loved the Kings of Leon album.  Maybe you have to be really drunk to like that one, though.

Brian

ggw

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2007, 11:15:00 am »
  so whats disappointing about the Voxtrot? is it all new material or a combo of old and new.  i always found the production on the EPs a bit lacking is that still the case.  just curious...
They got a serious case of Coldplayitis.  The light-hearted indie-pop of their first two EPs has given way to more affected balladry. The reverb has moved to the background and the vocals and lyrics are front and center on the new album.  Some of it is okay, but some of it is just plain post-Britpop dreck.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2007, 11:19:00 am »
bummer... looks like it will be an eMusic download then.
T.Rex

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2007, 03:52:00 pm »
The Rakes - Ten New Messages

Just not nearly as good as capture/release. granted ive only heard it one time, and perhaps need to give it another chance as i really liked their first album.
HeyLa

Sir HC

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2007, 04:16:00 pm »
I like the new Bloc Party.  I guess the big thing for me is that they cut back the insane compression on his vocals so he sounds like a singer, not that RHCP squashedness.  It last one he sounded like he was really in your face, and that didn't work for me.