Author Topic: Pogues Pre & Post Plans  (Read 4037 times)

thirsty moore

Re: Pogues Pre & Post Plans
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2005, 10:30:00 am »
I may have asked this before, but what makes a good Irish bar?  Would I have to go to the local in some small town in Ireland?

brennser

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2005, 10:59:00 am »
Originally posted by econo:
  I may have asked this before, but what makes a good Irish bar?  Would I have to go to the local in some small town in Ireland?
you'll know it when you see it....seriously, its kind of hard to say - the reason we liked Biddys was the fact that it wasn't trying to be an Irish bar like all the other ones in the city, and in doing so, it somehow managed to be more Irish than all the others....the high % of Irish staff helped as well

ggw

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2005, 11:04:00 am »
Originally posted by econo:
  I may have asked this before, but what makes a good Irish bar?
Lucky Charms served as bar snacks.

slappy

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2005, 11:14:00 am »
I found it strange to be in Temple Bar and all the pubs were playing bad classic rock.

The pubs on the northside were more 'traditional' but filled with mostly old people.

Personally I like the swankier spots in Dublin like Cocoon, the Globe, and the bars in the Clarence. The true Dubliners were really nice.

Of course to be an 'authentic' irish bar in the US now it would have to be non-smoking.

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2005, 11:24:00 am »
Aren't those the most fun?

Originally posted by slappy:

The pubs on the northside were (but) filled with mostly old people.

Bags

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2005, 11:25:00 am »
Originally posted by hootie-hoo:
  My favorite Irish pub in dc is Nanny O'Brien's in Cleveland Park {red line
No no, don't go there, no one should go there.  Yuck, puh, Nanny's.  No, not a good Irish bar....

markie

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2005, 11:27:00 am »
Originally posted by Bags:
  No no, don't go there, no one should go there.  Yuck, puh, Nanny's.  No, not a good Irish bar....
Don't you like the authentic smell of vomit?

brennser

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2005, 11:28:00 am »
Temple bar - ugh....full of tourists....your best bet there is the Porter House....they brew their own beers which are very good

whats wrong with old people???

yeah, some of the newer bars are nice but I'd still take the Stags Head or The Oak over any of em!

Originally posted by slappy:
  I found it strange to be in Temple Bar and all the pubs were playing bad classic rock.

The pubs on the northside were more 'traditional' but filled with mostly old people.

Personally I like the swankier spots in Dublin like Cocoon, the Globe, and the bars in the Clarence. The true Dubliners were really nice.

Of course to be an 'authentic' irish bar in the US now it would have to be non-smoking.

Bags

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2005, 11:29:00 am »
Jury's (an Irish hotel chain, by the by) often has great online deals -- $99, $109 a night.  And it's near so much stuff.  I'd recommend Dupont over Woodley Park, just take the metro right up to Cleveland Park for the bars if that's your pre-show destination, then you'll have lots of choices for post-show as well.

brennser

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2005, 11:30:00 am »

No no, don't go there, no one should go there.  Yuck, puh, Nanny's.  No, not a good Irish bar.... [/b]
my sentiments entirely, that place is nasty!

Bags

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2005, 11:31:00 am »
Originally posted by MTB-Markie:

Don't you like the authentic smell of vomit? [/b]
ssshhhh, that's where we're goin', and I'm worried about gettin' a table!   ;)

markie

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2005, 11:32:00 am »
  Jury's (an Irish hotel chain, by the by) often has great online deals -- $99, $109 a night.  
The in-laws always stay at the Wyoming Avenue Jury's. It and the staff are always very nice.

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2005, 11:47:00 am »
I have an out of the country friend that swears by that place when he is in town, so there's another thumbs up.

I always get good hotel deals on Hotwire in nice places, though I've never done it for DC.

Originally posted by MTB-Markie:

Jury's (an Irish hotel chain, by the by) often has great online deals -- $99, $109 a night.  
The in-laws always stay at the Wyoming Avenue Jury's. It and the staff are always very nice. [/b]

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2005, 02:48:00 pm »
Originally posted by brennser:
  Temple bar - ugh....full of tourists....your best bet there is the Porter House....they brew their own beers which are very good

ahhh, 2 pints of the brainblasta (8%? 9%?) is a great way to get the evening going ...
(o|o)

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2005, 12:58:00 pm »

No no, don't go there, no one should go there.  Yuck, puh, Nanny's.  No, not a good Irish bar.... [/b]
Your kind ain't welcome in our boozer anyways.....besides there's no parking for a Escalade.

Please go with the rest of the bags-clones to the 4 P's across the road, but only if you're yuppy scum.