Author Topic: Pogues Pre & Post Plans  (Read 4035 times)

adavici

Pogues Pre & Post Plans
« on: December 22, 2005, 04:05:00 pm »
Coming in from Michigan for the Pogues show on Friday 3/10 and not sure where to stay or drink before and after the show.  Where's the best Irish Pub in DC? Any other thoughts on where people tend to congregate before and after shows at the 930?  

I was at the Social Distortion show in October and it seemes like options are very limited in the area around the club.  

Thanks!  - adavici

slappy

Re: Pogues Pre & Post Plans
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 05:35:00 pm »
You can't go wrong with the Bennigan's in Waldorf.  :roll:

timcorsi

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 06:20:00 pm »
My favorite Irish pub in dc is Nanny O'Brien's in Cleveland Park {red line}, though if you like something a little snobbier, go to 4 P's across the street.  There are other options closer to the club, like Irish Times and The Dubliner which are by Union Station, or Fado {chain I think} and Irish Channel over by MCI.  

Obviously, there are plenty of options, depending on where you are planning on staying, etc.

Shadrach

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 06:35:00 pm »
The Irish Times, right next to The Dubliner is only a short 5 minute cab ride away.

adavici

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 08:20:00 pm »
Excellent suggestions - thanks!  

We are inclined to make it a point to stay somewhere close to a couple cool bars rather than try to try to find somewhere good to drink close to where we happen to be staying if that makes any sense.  That's kinda why I'm posting...

As for what we're into, I'd take a more traditional, local feel irish pub over a chain or a snobby new-era irish pub like you find anywhere these days - McIrelands I call 'em.  I guess the important thing is that they pour a good pint and have some interesting whiskey.  Having the Dubliners, Clancey Brothers or Pogues on the stereo instead of Jimmy Buffet helps too.  

That said, the union station area sounds pretty cool.  I also like the Capitol City Brewery which is right there.  Can you recommend a hotel or two in that area?  

Thanks again.

r0d

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 11:07:00 pm »
The Irish Times is always crowded and loud. There is usually some drunken fools passed out or vomiting out front. The Dubliner (next door) sounds more like your speed. They have live Irish music every night and they pour a good pint. Its part of the Phoenix hotel near Union Station.   :)

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2005, 06:56:00 am »
Nanny O'Briens on Connecticut Ave. is the only decent 'Irish' bar in DC, and only a few mins from the club via taxi as well. There's also a few bars on the same block so you can have a mini-pubcrawl before/after the show. The 4P's across the street from Nannies is cack and usually has some idiot singing about a feck'n dragon, some bloke called Danny, the black n tans or some other shite like that....if you are interested in donating to NORAID with every pint purchased then Irish Times or The Dubliner are the places to hang out.

Enjoy the show.

adavici

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 01:47:00 pm »
Thanks!  Any suggestions on a hotel near Nanny O'brien's?  

Thanks all - adavici

ratioci nation

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 02:27:00 pm »
Originally posted by adavici:
  Thanks!  Any suggestions on a hotel near Nanny O'brien's?  

Thanks all - adavici
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=hotels+loc%3A+3319+Connecticut+Ave+NW,+washington,+dc&f=l&hl=en

or this one is supposed to be good

http://www.jurys-washingtondc-hotels.com/normandyinn_washingtondc

brennser

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2005, 03:07:00 pm »
jurys is a good suggestion and their bar, Biddys is imho the best 'irish' bar in the city

ratioci nation

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2005, 03:45:00 pm »
Originally posted by brennser:
  jurys is a good suggestion and their bar, Biddys is imho the best 'irish' bar in the city
isnt that only in the one on Dupont though, the link I gave is to the one on Wyoming, closer to Woodley Park, both are fine I am sure

rebelchanteuse

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2005, 06:15:00 pm »
Both the Marriott Wardman Park and Omni Shoreham are in Woodley Park, which is just down the road from Cleveland Park.  There's also a bus from Woodley Park that stops a couple of blocks away from the 9:30.  The hotels aren't cheap, but they are convenient.  

And, Nanny's is definitely the best Irish pub in the city.  The Dubliner usually has better music, but since it's also a restaurant, you don't have that pub atmosphere.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2005, 01:55:00 pm »
See ticket forum for a pair of 3/9 tickets available (at cost of course).
FUKIT

Got Haggis?

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2005, 10:05:00 pm »
if you don't really care where the hotel is, i often use priceline to get a 4 star hotel in dc for $50/night for the weekend.

last time the hotel was the marriot near the old convention center.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2005, 08:00:00 am »
Originally posted by brennser:
You really think so? We thought it was total bobbins. ('We' being wife and myself) I'd take Fado over that Biddy's, and Fado is the TGI Fridays of Irish bars.