Author Topic: Austin City Limits lineup - DAMN!  (Read 3253 times)

Vas Deferens

Austin City Limits lineup - DAMN!
« on: May 10, 2007, 07:11:00 am »
Best lineup of the year!

http://www.aclfestival.com/lineup.aspx
(_|_)

bnyced0

Re: Austin City Limits lineup - DAMN!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 07:43:00 am »
Originally posted by earth intruder aka j. marshmallow:
  Best lineup of the year!

http://www.aclfestival.com/lineup.aspx  
I'm going to add you to my christmas list because you're both easy to please and have exceedingly low expectations if you really believe that hyperbole.  Unless we're talking about another year, are we?

Obviously this is subjective so I'm not going to argue if this is your favorite line-up for the year, but hell there's an objectively better line up even before the 4th of July at Werchter, granted they have an extra day to program, but if you've been to ACL you know that Zilker Park in September is a coffin so I'll take Werchter for best line-up and better overall experience for the 1st half of the year, though Coachella was no slouch.

Rock Werchter Festival  

Air

Air Traffic

Beastie Boys

Billy Talent

Bjork

Dr. Lektroluv

Marilyn Manson

Mika

Muse

My Chemical Romance

Rufus Wainwright

Zornik

Admiral Freebee

Arctic Monkeys

Bloc Party

Enter Shikari

Gabriel Rios

Jason Mraz

Joan As Police Woman

Kaiser Chiefs

Kings Of Leon

Lily Allen

Oi Va Voi

Pearl Jam

Queens Of The Stone Age

Satellite Party

Sioen

The Van Jets

Amy Winehouse

Arno

Blonde Redhead

Goose

Heideroosjes

Keane

Klaxons

LCD Soundsystem

Peter Gabriel

Razorlight

Snow Patrol

The Bravery

The Chemical Brothers

The Good,The Bad & The Queen

The Hold Steady

The Killers

!!! (Chk Chik Chick)

Cold War Kids

Damien Rice

Faithless

Frank Black

Incubus

Interpol

John Legend

Mastodon

Maximo Park

Metallica

Stijn

The Australian Pink Floyd Show

The Kooks

Tori Amos

Vas Deferens

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 07:52:00 am »
ok, that was a stretch  :)  But definitely gooood lineup !
(_|_)

bnyced0

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 08:01:00 am »
Originally posted by earth intruder aka j. marshmallow:
  ok, that was a stretch   :)   But definitely gooood lineup !
Much better!  Though any line-up with Bjork can cause that kind of hysteria, because she will go down as ACT OF THE YEAR without question.  How do you like that for hyperbole?

floyd1975

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 11:39:00 am »
Originally posted by bnyced0:
   Pearl Jam

This makes any lineup better.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 11:49:00 am »
Not true if you're not a PJ fan. Their last Verizon show was pretty weak, I thought.

Originally posted by floyd:

Pearl Jam

This makes any lineup better. [/b]
(_|_)

floyd1975

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 11:52:00 am »
I am a PJ fan and I agree it was pretty weak for them.  Partly because it seemed uninspired but also because the Verizon Center is terrible.

Christine Moritz

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 12:16:00 pm »
 but hell there's an objectively better line up even before the 4th of July at Werchter, granted they have an extra day to program, but if you've been to ACL you know that Zilker Park in September is a coffin so I'll take Werchter for best line-up and better overall experience for the 1st half of the year, though Coachella was no slouch.
Too bad Werchter is in Belgium.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Werchter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Werchter#2007_Festival

And in case anyone else was wondering, the Austin City Limits Music Festival is Sept. 14-16 in (obviously) Austin, Texas; Werchter is June 28 - July 1.

amnesiac

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 12:26:00 pm »
Yeah, ACL is looking pretty damn good this year. Definitely considering it.

Though the best lineup for me so far this year, I think, is  Sasquatch. I'll even be on the left coast that weekend...but in California   :(

walkonby

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 12:32:00 pm »
i love people who bitch about every fucking venue's sound, and how it ruins every fucking show seen in dc, unless it's at da club, of cource.  go get a degree in engineering and sound, then build a place with your name on it . . . so some other ass can come along and bust on the thing for some retarted reason.

distance

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 12:46:00 pm »
acl looks ok.  i wouldn't say the lineup is amazing or anything.  i considered going for like 5 minutes and then reminded myself of my relatively underwhelming experience @ ACL (and festivals that size in general) and quickly talked myself out of it.

DMST is doing a small show in nyc and i think my time/money would be better spent going to that and i know i'd get way more enjoyment out of it -- though i do like austin itself a lot.

sonickteam2

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 12:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by walkonby:
  i love people who bitch about every fucking venue's sound, and how it ruins every fucking show seen in dc, unless it's at da club, of cource.  go get a degree in engineering and sound, then build a place with your name on it . . . so some other ass can come along and bust on the thing for some retarted reason.
huh?

Christine Moritz

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 01:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by le sonick:
 huh?
I had a similar reaction when I saw that post, thinking, "Where did venue sound come into this thread??"

I went back and re-read the entries, and the poster is evidently referring to the (tangential) remarks about the Pearl Jam show at the Verizon Center, and the sound quality therein.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2007, 02:17:00 pm »
maybe his father designed verizon center, so he's defending family honor?  he also mentioned "get an engineering degree and build your own venue".  if someone were to do this, guaranteed they wouldn't build something like verizon... the place was simply not built with loud music in mind, and every sound tech has to deal with that fact.  it's a no-win situation.

certain venues are defendable, ex: DAR, most agreed that it (finally) sounded good for arcade fire.  other aren't.  verizon is one of them - there is simply no way to make that place sound good.  the only solution i've found is to get decent seats close to the PA so that the direct sound overpowers the reflections.
<sig>

bnyced0

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 05:17:00 pm »
Originally posted by Christine Moritz:

[/b]
Too bad Werchter is in Belgium.

Austin City Limits Music Festival[/URL] is Sept. 14-16 in (obviously) Austin, Texas; Werchter is June 28 - July 1. [/QB]
Actually not too bad, that's the reason it's infinitely preferable to Austin in September.  One of the things about being on the east coast is that it's a push to go either direction for a show/festival.  The downside is the dollar is increasingly worthless, so you get hosed in the exchange but the quality quoitent is worth taking it in the currency shorts from time to time.