Author Topic: Peeved...?  (Read 12676 times)

Re: Peeved...?
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2007, 02:04:00 pm »
People who say they won't eat food containing  pork because God says it's a no-no.  What, is this 2000BC?  Are they afraid of trichinosis?   It makes one wonder if they have ever heard of that groovy, new invention: fire...?

Venerable Bede

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2007, 02:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by miss pretentious:
  oh. oh god. i can't believe i forgot about my no. 1 - people who blow their nose while at the dinner table.

that is disgusting.  another dining peeve is people who don't take off their hats in restaurants, even if it is a denny's or an ihop.
OU812

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2007, 02:06:00 pm »
agreed.

Originally posted by Venerable Bede:

Originally posted by miss pretentious:
  oh. oh god. i can't believe i forgot about my no. 1 - people who blow their nose while at the dinner table.

that is disgusting.  another dining peeve is people who don't take off their hats in restaurants, even if it is a denny's or an ihop. [/b]
nothx

Cali

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2007, 02:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by Roadbike Mankie:

Oh, I just thought of another....the way Americans eat with that stabbing your food with a fork then using your knife to cut it, then putting your knife down, switching hands with the fork then taking a bite. Switch hands back, stab your food, pick up the knife cut it, put knife down, switch hands with the fork, take a bite, repeat the process until your food is finished.

What's up with that? [/QB]
LOL that's the way we learned to eat. eating with my left hand doesnt feel right.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2007, 02:56:00 pm »
just been reminded of another huge one for me: people who take up two parking spots with one car.  i live in a neighborhood where street parking is in demand.  one vehicle smack in the middle of two spots is downright disrespectful and inconsiderate.  the temptation to get all vigilante on their paint job or tires is something awful.
<sig>

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2007, 03:30:00 pm »
Or those who park diagonally across two parking spots in a shopping mall car park. I used to drive a beat up old full sized Dodge pick up truck and park right up next to them at the same angle.

And have you noticed how it's more often than not a Camaro or Firebird.

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2007, 02:03:00 pm »
The little sprocket hole grippers on clear plastic CD trays.  They are born to fail.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2007, 04:14:00 pm »
When a sports team calls themselves "WORLD CHAMPIONS" and there's only teams from one, or sometimes two, countries in the bloody competition.

ratioci nation

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2007, 04:19:00 pm »
  When a sports team calls themselves "WORLD CHAMPIONS" and there's only teams from one, or sometimes two, countries in the bloody competition.
it is pretty safe to say that the best players from all over the world for their particular sport play in the MLB, NHL, and NBA

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2007, 05:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by pdx pollard:

it is pretty safe to say that the best players from all over the world for their particular sport play in the MLB, NHL, and NBA [/b]
How will we ever know unless they let foriegn teams compete in these competitions? I don't think the Stanley Cup champions get referred to as 'world champions" actually.

I bet a local Cuban or S. American team would challenge for the MLB, or an eastern European or Scandinavian team for the Stanley Cup. Which brings up another point. Not only are these teams not the WORLD champions, they're not even the AMERICAS champions.

ratioci nation

« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2007, 05:27:00 pm »
  How will we ever know unless they let foriegn teams compete in these competitions? I don't think the Stanley Cup champions get referred to as 'world champions" actually.

I bet a local Cuban or S. American team would challenge for the MLB, or an eastern European or Scandinavian team for the Stanley Cup. Which brings up another point. Not only are these teams not the WORLD champions, they're not even the AMERICAS champions.
Why is it when they have world baseball tournaments the best players from South American teams are all major league players?  Your argument seems to assume that all the players on American teams are American, that just isn't the case anymore.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2007, 02:06:00 am »
to further elaborate on the previous point:

it is pretty safe to say that the best players from all over the world for their particular sport play in the MLB, NHL, and NBA
about the NHL: most of the teams are located in the US.  most of the players are from Canada.

as far as i know, the stanley cup has never presented itself as "the world championship" (only as the only championship that matters   :)  )
<sig>

« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2007, 08:44:00 am »
Mankie. 20 years behind on his music taste, 20 years behind in his arguments.   :p

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2007, 08:58:00 am »
20 years...you wish!!! I just bought the Neil Young live recording cd at Starbucks that was recorded in 1971, and the Bob Marley live cd that was also recorded way back in the 70's!!! BTW...where is Massy Hall? I'm guessing somewhere in Canada because every time he makes a reference to Canada the audience applauds.

If they come out with a band with 1% of the talent of the golden oldies I'd be happy to give them a listen.

I wasn't arguing, it's just a peeve, and that of probably all of the non-doodles.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2007, 01:04:00 pm »

Why is it when they have world baseball tournaments the best players from South American teams are all major league players?  Your argument seems to assume that all the players on American teams are American, that just isn't the case anymore. [/b]
First of all, I'm not arguing. Secondly, I never assumed that all players on American teams are American. My God, would the MLB, NHL and NBA suck if they were. Try reading what I wrote and not between the lines.

All I said was that it peeves me to hear that the St. Louis Cardinals or the Indianapolis Colts are the 'world' champions when it's only N. American teams in the competitons....they probably still would be if they let the rest of the world into the league, but how do we know for sure unless it's open to every country? It's a false claim in my opinion and peeves me a little.