Author Topic: Peeved...?  (Read 12666 times)

bikerchickdc

Re: Peeved...?
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2007, 06:00:00 pm »
People who will stop randomly when walking in a crowded place. If you want to stop walking, then move off to one side. Don't just stop dead in your tracks in the middle of the sidewalk/aisle/airport terminal/etc. And if you do, don't be surprised when someone runs into you.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2007, 09:47:00 am »
Originally posted by Roadbike Mankie:

Originally posted by pdx pollard:

How will we ever know unless they let foriegn teams compete in these competitions? I don't think the Stanley Cup champions get referred to as 'world champions" actually.

I bet a local Cuban or S. American team would challenge for the MLB, or an eastern European or Scandinavian team for the Stanley Cup. Which brings up another point. Not only are these teams not the WORLD champions, they're not even the AMERICAS champions.
Why is it when they have world baseball tournaments the best players from South American teams are all major league players?  Your argument seems to assume that all the players on American teams are American, that just isn't the case anymore. [/b]
First of all, I'm not arguing. Secondly, I never assumed that all players on American teams are American. My God, would the MLB, NHL and NBA suck if they were. Try reading what I wrote and not between the lines.

All I said was that it peeves me to hear that the St. Louis Cardinals or the Indianapolis Colts are the 'world' champions when it's only N. American teams in the competitons....they probably still would be if they let the rest of the world into the league, but how do we know for sure unless it's open to every country? It's a false claim in my opinion and peeves me a little. [/b]
Well there is no rule that say players in these leagues can't be from anywhere in the world...  Look at the diveristy in MLB and the NHL (the NBA also to a lesser extent).  However I agree with your point.
FUKIT

« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2007, 09:54:00 am »
Admittedly, I'm not the closest follower of professional sports these days, but do they still often refer to a team as "world champions"? I sometimes watch MLB and NBA and can't recall anyone having used that phrase in many years. Of course, it probably doesn't help that I'm watching the Oroles and Wizards. And I've never heard it used on a NASCAR broadcast.

All I said was that it peeves me to hear that the St. Louis Cardinals or the Indianapolis Colts are the 'world' champions when it's only N. American teams in the competitons....they probably still would be if they let the rest of the world into the league, but how do we know for sure unless it's open to every country? It's a false claim in my opinion and peeves me a little.

alice the cat

« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2007, 10:11:00 am »
Loud eaters...  I cannot stand them.  Lip-smacking, slurping, open-mouth chewers make my skin crawl.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2007, 10:20:00 am »
  BTW...where is Massy Hall? I'm guessing somewhere in Canada because every time he makes a reference to Canada the audience applauds.
yup, massey hall is in Toronto.  it's a very "grand" concert venue, old-world feel, ornate walls and balcony, very nice accoustics.   Wiki.

Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  Admittedly, I'm not the closest follower of professional sports these days, but do they still often refer to a team as "world champions"? I sometimes watch MLB and NBA and can't recall anyone having used that phrase in many years.
the MLB championship is called "the workkld series" - 'nuff said.  i've heard both the NFL and NBA call their playoff winners "world champions".  dude in the cube across from me still has a "pittsburg steelers world champions" poster up.  i'm with mankie on this one.  the team that wins soccer's World Cup, or any sport's Olympic gold medal, can call itself "world champion".  otherwise, "world" needs to be left out of the superlatives.
<sig>

ratioci nation

« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2007, 11:29:00 am »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
  the MLB championship is called "the workkld series" - 'nuff said.  i've heard both the NFL and NBA call their playoff winners "world champions".  dude in the cube across from me still has a "pittsburg steelers world champions" poster up.  i'm with mankie on this one.  the team that wins soccer's World Cup, or any sport's Olympic gold medal, can call itself "world champion".  otherwise, "world" needs to be left out of the superlatives.
why are people only looking at where the team is from, I would think where the players are from would matter more

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2007, 11:39:00 am »
 "the workkld series"
today's pet peeve: the keyboard on my laptop.  the GF spilled a little water on it, shorted something out under the hood and it's had a mind of its own ever since.  combine that with my brain running faster than my fingers can type (i.e. i don't read what's on screen since my brain is two thoughts ahead), and voila - you have new alternate spellings like "the workkld series".  i spend way too much time going back and erasing random characters that are thrown in.

which leads me to complain about our IT dept and their lengthy turn-around times on repairs.  woe is me.
<sig>

beetsnotbeats

« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2007, 11:44:00 am »

"the workkld series"
today's pet peeve: the keyboard on my laptop.  the GF spilled a little water on it, shorted something out under the hood and it's had a mind of its own ever since.  combine that with my brain running faster than my fingers can type (i.e. i don't read what's on screen since my brain is two thoughts ahead), and voila - you have new alternate spellings like "the workkld series".  i spend way too much time going back and erasing random characters that are thrown in.

which leads me to complain about our IT dept and their lengthy turn-around times on repairs.  woe is me. [/b]
Maybe they should call it the Amerikkka Series   :p

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2007, 01:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by bikerchickdc:
  People who will stop randomly when walking in a crowded place. If you want to stop walking, then move off to one side. Don't just stop dead in your tracks in the middle of the sidewalk/aisle/airport terminal/etc. And if you do, don't be surprised when someone runs into you.
Good one....especially in a crowded supermarket and you nearly run them over with your cart.

Down here with all the retirees they tend to think they can do what the fuck they want. One will be driving their Caddy or Lincoln and see their buddy walking so just stop in the middle of the lane and have a nice long chat, holding up traffic. I mean what the fuck you old bastard? get out of the way!! Then they get all aggressive when you hit the horn and nearly give the old buzzard a heart attack.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2007, 03:14:00 pm »
Originally posted by bikerchickdc:
that one really pisses me off. esp since i have to walk through times square to get home - and tourists stop wherever they want. lately ive just started walking directly into them or yelling move to the left really loud. the escalators are the worst, esp grand central in the morning. just the thought of it, makes my head spin.

i think ive become a lot more bitchy and less tolerant after living in this city for over a year.
HeyLa

« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2007, 03:23:00 pm »
People who refer to their girlfriend or boyfriend as "the girlfriend", or "the boyfriend".

And people who stop in the middle of a crowd.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2007, 05:09:00 pm »
  People who refer to their girlfriend or boyfriend as "the girlfriend", or "the boyfriend".
do they get a pass if they use "the boy" or "the girl" instead?

maybe they're just trying to be more specific in their communication - "the girlfriend, as opposed to all those other women i sleep with"   :p
<sig>

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2007, 05:10:00 pm »

b/f and g/f is worse.

« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2007, 05:14:00 pm »
agreed

b/f and g/f is worse. [/b]

Guiny

« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2007, 10:59:00 am »
Girly Men who honk their horns.