Author Topic: born into this  (Read 1018 times)

Ikarus

born into this
« on: July 20, 2004, 03:00:00 am »
anyone catch the all-too-limited run at e street?  i have never seen a lot of the footage, so i thought it was cool depite knowing most of bukowski's backstory already.  the black sparrow story and john fante's widow's input was an additional bonus.  kinda disappointed that tom waits didn't get more screen time.  they should've cut bono's parts for more tom...

maybe it was just me, but bukowski's voice and that of granpa ed's sounded very very similar?

Bags

Re: born into this
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 09:22:00 am »
Is it gone already?!?!?

joz

Re: born into this
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2004, 12:15:00 pm »
great film; wish it had run longer so more would have had the opportunity to see it. i had seen a lot of the footage before but never the scene where he's being interviewed for some german tv show and he's reading a poem about linda and begins to cry; such a rare glimpse of bukowski's hidden sentimentality.  i'm sure he was quite difficult when he was drunk (note other interview when he threatens to throw linda out and begins kicking at her) but he really wasn't the misogynist that everyone makes him out to be.  the tom waits footage was definitely a highlight too...wish they would've had him read a poem or two rather than bono.  maybe we can look for it on the dvd extras.