Author Topic: Crooked Beat question???????  (Read 1230 times)

Mongo

Crooked Beat question???????
« on: October 05, 2004, 01:53:00 pm »
Anyone know how late they are open to during the week?  It's not posted on their site and they have no phone number on it either.

Random Citizen

Re: Crooked Beat question???????
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2004, 01:57:00 pm »
Crooked Beat Records
 2318 18th St Nw, Washington, DC 20009
 (202) 483-2328

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2004, 02:07:00 pm »
I wonder how long it will take for them to go under?

They don't have nearly the selection as the last cd store that was in that space and went under.

bellenseb

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2004, 02:23:00 pm »
They have lots of good vinyl, fairly priced, making them pretty unique in the city.

The CD selection isn't huge, but it's interesting and well chosen. A pet peeve of mine, is that so far they have no "new release" section and don't seem to be up on new releases, but hopefully this will change.

The guys who work there are knowledgeable and friendly, also.

I think they'll do fine.

Mongo

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2004, 02:26:00 pm »
open till 9 in case anyone wants to know.  Think might go check it out tonight.

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2004, 02:30:00 pm »
Oh, right. Because there's soooooo many people out there buying vinyl these days.

What will set them apart from DCCD in terms of affording the Adams-Morgan rents?

Originally posted by bellenseb:
  They have lots of good vinyl, fairly priced, making them pretty unique in the city.

The CD selection isn't huge, but it's interesting and well chosen. A pet peeve of mine, is that so far they have no "new release" section and don't seem to be up on new releases, but hopefully this will change.

The guys who work there are knowledgeable and friendly, also.

I think they'll do fine.

thirsty moore

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2004, 02:31:00 pm »
They're billionaires, naturally.

Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  Oh, right. Because there's soooooo many people out there buying vinyl these days.

What will set them apart from DCCD in terms of affording the Adams-Morgan rents?

bellenseb

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2004, 05:37:00 pm »
I never frequented Flying Saucer. The black and white photocopied sleeves in the thin plastic always alienated me for whatever reason, made browsing a chore, although I know they did that for space, but why not the actual sleeves at least? I never felt they had any particular focus or specialty, either...they were just a store that had some undefined mass of CDs that were difficult to browse.

I feel like Crooked Beat can succeed because they have strong focus and a good feel. You can talk to the guys there about a particular artist or stock they're getting in. It's well-organized, it really does feel like your friendly neighborhood indie shop. It goes a long way. IMO.