Author Topic: Grammar Test  (Read 4368 times)

sonickteam2

Grammar Test
« on: October 11, 2005, 03:58:00 pm »
An Historic Community

A Historic Community

or both?

pj

Re: Grammar Test
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 04:00:00 pm »
I would say "A" but I think either one is correct.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 04:00:00 pm »
An...  Its an exception to the rule. The leading 'H' has a vowel sound so to speak and thus calls for an instead of a.
FUKIT

sonickteam2

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 04:07:00 pm »
ok ok

dr. grammer says

A or An?
 According to The Oxford Dictionary of American Usage and Style, "The indefinite article a is used before words beginning with a consonant sound, including /y/ and /w/ sounds. The other form, an, is used before words beginning with a vowel sound. Hence, a European country, a Ouija board, a uniform, an FBI agent, an MBA degree, an SEC filing. Writers on usage formerly disputed whether the correct article is a or an with historian, historic, and a few other words. The traditional rule is that if the h- is sounded, a is the proper form. Most people following that rule would say a historian and a historic--e.g.:'Democrat Bill Clinton appears within reach of capturing the White House in Tuesday's election, but Republicans hope that late momentum, can enable President Bush to win a historic upset' (Dallas Morning News). Even H.W. Fowler, in the England of 1926, advocated a before historic(al) and humble (MEU1).
 The theory behind using an in such a context, however, is that the h- is very weak when the accent is on the second rather than the first syllable (giving rise, by analogy, to an habitual offender, an humanitarian, an hallucinatory image, and an harassed schoolteacher). Thus no authority countenances an history[emphasis added], though a few older ones prefer an historian and an historical.
 Today, however, an hypothesis and an historical are likely to strike readers and listeners as affectations. As Mark Twain once wrote, referring to humble, heroic, and historical: 'Correct writers of the American language do not put an before those words' (The Stolen White Elephant,1882). Anyone who sounds the h- in such words should avoid pretense and use a (Garner 1).

walkonby

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 04:13:00 pm »
how about "the historic community"?

sonickteam2

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 04:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by walkonby:
oh btw, the reason for this is, there is a sign near my house for the neighborhood that says

"Ridgely's Delight: An Historic Community"

and i looked the other day and thought, "thats not right!"  
   but alas, it is right. I suppose next time i am at Burger King i can ask for "an hamburger"

walkonby

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 05:09:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam, forum nice guy:

oh btw, the reason for this is, there is a sign near my house for the neighborhood that says

"Ridgely's Delight: An Historic Community"

and i looked the other day and thought, "thats not right!"  
   but alas, it is right. I suppose next time i am at Burger King i can ask for "an hamburger" [/b]
an shroom burger?

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 05:15:00 pm »
  an shroom burger?
...With extra peyote?

Bags

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 05:15:00 pm »
  The traditional rule is that if the h- is sounded, a is the proper form. Most people following that rule would say a historian and a historic--e.g.:'Democrat Bill Clinton appears within reach of capturing the White House in Tuesday's election, but Republicans hope that late momentum, can enable President Bush to win a historic upset' (Dallas Morning News).  
This is what I was taught for public speaking.  And you use the long "A" in speech before the h word.

By the way, that example sentence has an errant comma in it.  Good job, Dallas!

pj

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2005, 05:19:00 pm »
Nice! I got it right. was just a lucky guess.

The traditional rule is that if the h- is sounded, a is the proper form.

Bags

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2005, 06:07:00 pm »
-edit-  Odd double post....sorry

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2005, 10:10:00 pm »
An is still correct over A.
FUKIT

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2005, 04:43:00 am »
How about this one!

An Post

Right or wrong...or both?

Guiny

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2005, 08:41:00 am »

but alas, it is right. I suppose next time i am at Burger King i can ask for "an hamburger" [/QB]
I thought big corporations were for the sheep of the world. I woulda thought you guys would know this great underground hamburger joint that served the best burgers in the world.....Well, at least until everyone found out about them and started eating there.

(And no Sonick, before you get defensive, this isn't neccessarily (sp) something you've said, but other people)

smakawhat

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2005, 11:05:00 am »
how about a hysterectomy?