Author Topic: Roll Call: Drive By Truckers  (Read 6248 times)

Roll Call: Drive By Truckers
« on: July 22, 2004, 09:11:00 am »
Anybody else seeing the DBT's do their 3+ hour rock show this weekend? Unlike these 50 minute headlining hucksters (shouldn't the clubs institute a minimum show length?), these guys earn the $15 cover charge...

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Roll Call: Drive By Truckers
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2004, 09:18:00 am »
well i much preferred them more when they were only doing 50+ minute sets at the Iota
T.Rex

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004, 09:24:00 am »
3 hours is way more than I could take from just about anyone except maybe pre-74 rolling stones or the beatles.

Yes, the Hives only played about an hour, but to me it was the perfect length and I've yet to hear anyone complain.

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 09:30:00 am »
I will grant you that 3+ hours is a long time for an old guy like me to be on my feet, unless I'm on a 14 mile run or something. And I guess hoping that a nonsmoking law for VA clubs is probably wishful thinking on my part for the next 20 years.

ggw

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2004, 09:35:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  I will grant you that 3+ hours is a long time for an old guy like me to be on my feet, unless I'm on a 14 mile run or something.
13 minute miles?  My grandmother can run faster than that.

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2004, 09:40:00 am »
Been doing 11:45 minute miles on hilly unpaved terrain. Didn't bother to do the math. So maybe more like 16 miles. Though she's the one in training for a marathon, not me...so I get to quit after 10 or 12.

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

I will grant you that 3+ hours is a long time for an old guy like me to be on my feet, unless I'm on a 14 mile run or something.
13 minute miles?  My grandmother can run faster than that. [/b]

chaz

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2004, 09:40:00 am »
   And I guess hoping that a nonsmoking law for VA clubs is probably wishful thinking on my part for the next 20 years.
What's everyone's thoughts on smoking bans?  I don't smoke but I'm against it.  I think club owners should  be able to decide for themselves.

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2004, 10:01:00 am »
This topic has been discussed to death...but my thought is that a law that protects the health of the 80% of the population who don't smoke as well as the 20% who do is a good thing.

Originally posted by chaz:

And I guess hoping that a nonsmoking law for VA clubs is probably wishful thinking on my part for the next 20 years.
What's everyone's thoughts on smoking bans?  I don't smoke but I'm against it.  I think club owners should  be able to decide for themselves. [/b]

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2004, 10:44:00 am »
3+ hours by an outstanding headlining band (with no opener) beats a 3+ hour combination of short headliner set, lame between-set dj's, and inferior/usually worthless opening acts, in my book. Not in your book?

3 hours is way more than I could take from just about anyone except maybe pre-74 rolling stones or the beatles.

Yes, the Hives only played about an hour, but to me it was the perfect length and I've yet to hear anyone complain.

ratioci nation

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2004, 11:40:00 am »
i have rarely wanted a show to end more than at the end of the last black cat DBT show, but there are some 3 hours shows i enjoy

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2004, 11:49:00 am »
They've either improved quite a bit since then, or I've started liking them a lot more. That show was a bit tedious for me too, since the only thing I'd heard by them until that point was Southern Rock Opera, and they leaned on the unheard Decoration Day, which was released that day. Last time I saw them, I was much more familiar with all three of their most recent albums, and it made for a much more enjoyable experience.

Originally posted by pollard:
  i have rarely wanted a show to end more than at the end of the last black cat DBT show, but there are some 3 hours shows i enjoy

grotty

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2004, 12:16:00 pm »
Are they really playing 3 hour shows now? I've seen them ~ 15 times and have never witnessed a three hour show. 2 hours + every time though. Not once have they worn out their welcome for me - including the Black Cat show. Usually it's one of those true times where I'm hoping for at least one more song.

I'll be looking for your show critique Rhett & I'm pretty eager for the 9:30 show coming up on a Friday night. Now that could be an epic gig. Hopefully we can have a little board soiree and share a few Stellas. I've got little sketches of you all that I need to confirm.  :D

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2004, 12:21:00 pm »
Imrotten told me he saw DBT do a 3+ hour show. We left the Recher show after 2.5 hours (I think). Patterson had come out to do some of his solo stuff, and that was just the BEGINNING of the first encore. My guess is that more time had to elapse for a final full band grand finale. Can't imagine how it would have been LESS than 3 hours.

I too am looking forward to DBT's at the 9:30...though shouldn't Miller or Bud be the beer of choice?

Originally posted by grotty:
  Are they really playing 3 hour shows now? I've seen them ~ 15 times and have never witnessed a three hour show. 2 hours + every time though. Not once have they worn out their welcome for me - including the Black Cat show. Usually it's one of those true times where I'm hoping for at least one more song.

I'll be looking for your show critique Rhett & I'm pretty eager for the 9:30 show coming up on a Friday night. Now that could be an epic gig. Hopefully we can have a little board soiree and share a few Stellas. I've got little sketches of you all that I need to confirm.   :D  

grotty

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2004, 12:31:00 pm »
  Imrotten told me he saw DBT do a 3+ hour show. We left the Recher show after 2.5 hours (I think). Can't imagine how it would have been LESS than 3 hours.

I too am looking forward to DBT's at the 9:30...though shouldn't Miller or Bud be the beer of choice?

I don't disbelieve you - I've seen them many times run through their entire repertoire and take requests just to keep playing. With the addition of the Dirty South material - they may start routinely pushing 3 hours.

Actually, if we're gonna keep with band/genre preferences, wouldn't it be Pabst Blue Ribbon? Then again, hasn't PBR become an "in" beer with the kiddies & their trucker hats? Wow...an impending crisis.

chaz

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2004, 12:49:00 pm »
If it's a 3 band bill i rarely if ever go to see all 3 bands.  Sorry...3 hours is just too long for me in most circumstances.

3+ hours by an outstanding headlining band (with no opener) beats a 3+ hour combination of short headliner set, lame between-set dj's, and inferior/usually worthless opening acts, in my book. Not in your book?

[/b]