Author Topic: dual disc  (Read 3954 times)

duderino

dual disc
« on: October 12, 2005, 09:29:00 am »
i've read of some complications with this format; they won't play in car cd players or computers. has anyone had experience with this? i'm contemplating getting that talking heads box set, and maybe the new fiona apple in that format too.

Bags

Re: dual disc
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 09:35:00 am »
My Foo Fighters dual disc works in my car, but apparently you risk scratching the DVD side.  So far so good with me, but I only dropped $14 on it...

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 09:44:00 am »
i'm getting my first dualdisc soon as well..

in a slot loading cd player you run the risk of scratching the dvd side.

the issue with the music cd side is it's not manufactured to the same specification as is stated in the Red Book Audio CD standard. From Wikipedia

"The CD-layer is much thinner, 0.9mm, than required by the Red Book, which stipulates 1.2mm. Philips and many other companies have warned them that including the Compact Disc Digital Audio logo on such non-conforming discs may constitute trademark infringement; either in anticipation or in response, the long-familiar logo is no longer to be seen on many recent CDs."

One of the methods of copy-protecting CD is manufacturing non-standard disc, which can lead to problems with drives etc.
T.Rex

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 09:44:00 am »
What is on the reverse side, recordings of the artist belching and farting and praising God?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 09:46:00 am »
DualDisc Wikipedia info

Read the consumer complaints near the bottom...
T.Rex

hostiledm

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 09:50:00 am »
I can never get the cd side to play on my computer, or load into i-tunes, or load onto my Sony Hi-MD player.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 09:54:00 am »
Originally posted by Xavier Bush, Power Forward:
  What is on the reverse side, recordings of the artist belching and farting and praising God?
well in the case of any future Drive-By Truckers dualdisc it will be a boring, mind numbing, three hour concert in a spectacular 5.1 surround sound mix
T.Rex

mbg73

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 10:50:00 am »
I haven't had any trouble playing Dual Discs, but I've yet to get any to successfully load into any computer (both slot-loading and tray-loading drives).  Even when I get the music loaded to itunes, it sounds horrible and is full of errors.  I'd love to get the Talking Heads box, too, but I'll wait for a CD version.  If you have any interest in loading the music to an ipod, I wouldn't buy Dual Discs.  Coincidence that they don't work too well on computers?  Doubtful.

Arlette

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 11:17:00 am »
This is not a Dual Disc issue, it's a DRM (Digital Rights Management) issue.  A couple of labels, Sony/BMG especially, have started attaching new DRM to CDs which is designed to prevent burning or loading into iTunes.  Here's an article that explains it:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/ptech/10/04/music.copy.reut/index.html

There are ways around it, but it's a pain.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2005, 11:19:00 am »
or buy an Apple   :D
T.Rex

mbg73

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2005, 11:59:00 am »
This is totally a Dual Disc issue.  I have thousands of CDs and have never had any issues importing any CDs other than Dual Discs.  I have no problem importing the songs per se.  The problem is that the CD layer is thinner than on conventional CDs and the player has a harder time reading the data.  It gets bogged down trying to fix what it reads as errors (It takes more than twice as long to rip a Dual Disc on my computer).  It eventually imports the songs, but at least half, particularly songs at the beginning and end of the CD, sound horrible.

And I have an Apple!

duderino

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2005, 12:05:00 pm »
yuck, i'm definitely not getting anything in this format anytime soon then. hopefully that talking heads set will be released on sacd or something.

mbg73

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2005, 12:10:00 pm »
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping too.  A lot of people seem to like the Dual Discs, though, so I guess I'm in the minority.  The only real issue I have is getting the music onto an ipod.  I listen to so much  music on my ipod now that it's not worth getting something that's incompatible.

Arlette

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2005, 12:39:00 pm »
Originally posted by mbg73:
  This is totally a Dual Disc issue.  I have thousands of CDs and have never had any issues importing any CDs other than Dual Discs.  I have no problem importing the songs per se.  
But none of those thousands of CDs has the DRM on them.  (unless you bought all of them this year, and if so, cool for you, are you a Lotto winner?  ;)  ) This is a new issue, just started happening this year.  So your thousands of CDs are fine, it's the new ones, released recently, that present the DRM problem.

it's probably Dual Disc too, as you explained.  The combo of Dual Disc/DRM is a real problem, but even with DRM alone, it is  virtually impossible to play the music on any computer.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2005, 01:01:00 pm »
The bottom line is that music industry has decided to treat everyone of it's customers as being a potential file sharer and thus felt to make it difficult to rip mp3s from the newest releases.  Unless of course your willing to use Micro$ofts DRM software and it's approved portable media players.  Or use a Mac  :)

As I've said it other threads Sony/BMG bought into the latest copy protection without considering that the iPod/iTunes has the most signficate part of the marketplace.  And then have the balls to blame Apple for not supporting their copy protection scheme.

And if you really want to screw over your Windoze based customer, don't let them rip directly from the audio track instead let them create files from an already compressed track also stored on those disks.

It pains me everytime I buy a CopyControlled disk, (The Coral, BRMC, The Dead 60's) because part of me wants to boycott such limitations, but as a fan I want to support the band and hear the music.  

The DualDisc while a good idea to drive media sales and provide a better sounding product with the 5.1 mixes and full audio range on the DVD disk, obviously aren't the best of technologies.
T.Rex