Author Topic: bike to work day makes me happy!  (Read 3150 times)

jkeisenh

bike to work day makes me happy!
« on: May 07, 2004, 09:31:00 am »
Today, I don't have to change out of my jersey into a work shirt.
 Today, I got a free bagel and tshirt to make up for all the other hundreds of thankless days.
 Today, when someone honked at me, there were other cyclists yelling back at the driver along with me.
 Today, I'm sporting the latest in cycling fashion in my cube.
 Today, people are thanking me for something I do secretly every day.

I *heart* bike to work day.

Anyone else there this AM?

grotty

Re: bike to work day makes me happy!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2004, 09:35:00 am »
Don't you get all sweaty though?

The only way I could bike to work regularly is if I had a shower waiting.

Celeste

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2004, 09:38:00 am »
Congrats...
 I used to bike in (or walk) when I lived closer in. Hell, I'd bike in now, if there was a safe route...
 That's awesome.

markie

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2004, 09:38:00 am »
The only way I could bike to work is if I found a nice pathway between Adams-Morgan and College Park MD.

I would love to cycle to work. I got up at 6am this morning to go for an hour ride, so that my legs wont be stiff for mountain biking tomorrow.

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2004, 09:45:00 am »
Oddly, this was our first day of driving to work from suburbia for us. We have been biking to the VRE station on select day, and driving to Metro on other days.

No, we don't plan to make a regular habit of driving in, but we're headed to Baltimore for the Drive By Truckers show after work.

jkeisenh

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2004, 09:45:00 am »
Originally posted by mark e smith:
  The only way I could bike to work is if I found a nice pathway between Adams-Morgan and College Park MD.

I would love to cycle to work. I got up at 6am this morning to go for an hour ride, so that my legs wont be stiff for mountain biking tomorrow.
Couldn't you hook up with the Rock Creek trail some how-- maybe via the Cap Crescent??

brennser

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2004, 09:47:00 am »
good for you chimbley (and anyone else who biked today) - last year I racked up almost 2,500 commuting miles and am hoping to beat that this year

I wasn't at the rally this morning because I left my bike at the office last night and went straight to the Birchmere but I will be resplendent in my blue bikeforums.net jersey on the way home today

markie

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2004, 09:48:00 am »
Originally posted by chimbly sweep:
 Couldn't you hook up with the Rock Creek trail some how-- maybe via the Cap Crescent??
I dont know could I? Please whisper sweet nothings to me some more.

jkeisenh

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2004, 10:09:00 am »
Originally posted by brennser:

I wasn't at the rally this morning because I left my bike at the office last night and went straight to the Birchmere but I will be resplendent in my blue bikeforums.net jersey on the way home today
I'm sporting the new DC Vote/ Taxation Without Representation jersey.  It's sweeeeet.

brennser

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2004, 10:15:00 am »
where can you get these?

I'm sporting the new DC Vote/ Taxation Without Representation jersey.  It's sweeeeet. [/b]

jkeisenh

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2004, 10:18:00 am »
  where can you get these?

Capitol Hill Bikes.  And $5 from every jersey goes to DC Vote.  They're great-- especially when you're riding at a national event or outside the region.

And did I mention that they come in both men's and WOMEN'S sizes??

mankie

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2004, 10:23:00 am »
Sadly I still drove to work.

Riding down 270, on the beltway, over the Cabin John bridge then down the toll road is not only dangerous but probably illegal. I could've rode up MD 28 then taken Whites Ferry then down rte 15 to rte 7 then south on VA 28 I suppose, but then I would've got to work just in time to turn around and go home again!

It sucks to be me on bike to work day.   :(

Plenty of the lads here at work did though.

mankie

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2004, 10:26:00 am »

where can you get these?

Capitol Hill Bikes.  And $5 from every jersey goes to DC Vote.  They're great-- especially when you're riding at a national event or outside the region.

And did I mention that they come in both men's and WOMEN'S sizes?? [/b]
Why the hell should we give you lot the vote? You'd only elect Marion Barry for President.
   :D

Celeste

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2004, 10:49:00 am »
so does anyone know a way to ride from Springfield to DC...I guess I could research street routes to the Mt. Vernon or Custis trails...

Sailor Ripley

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2004, 11:35:00 am »
Check this link for DC routes