Author Topic: Coupling  (Read 2861 times)

G.Love

Coupling
« on: July 16, 2003, 02:55:00 pm »
Recently, I have had a chance to watch a couple of the Coupling episodes on PBS and found them very funny! I would say that it is one of the funniest shows on free TV.  Much to my dismay, I just saw NBC advertising that Coupling was coming in the Fall, but it was an American version.  I am afraid that it will also be a censored version, but the question is are we Americans that much of an egocentric and isolated nation that unless there is an American voice talking we wont understand it and it won't be funny?  I think that the version on PBS is funny (and easy to understand) as-is, so why change it?

lily1

Re: Coupling
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2003, 03:02:00 pm »
they had to"americanize" it to show it on network tv. ie, tone it down, and probably dumb it down too. british coupling is probably too explicit for us networks, but i'm sure if showtime or hbo did a version, it'd be closer in feel to the original british version.

on the topic of british tv, who else is bummed that since bravo is now owned by nbc, they didn 't buy the rights for the final season of cold feet? so unless you get it pirated or buy it on dvd and happen to have a multi region dvd player, you can't see it! bugger!

bungle bud

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2003, 03:12:00 pm »
you will be pleased to know that the excellent bbc show The Office is also going to get a american version

lily1

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2003, 03:15:00 pm »
i wish i had bbc america. i've heard that the office is one of the funniest shows ever created.

vansmack

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2003, 03:26:00 pm »
This is one of things where I'm just going to insist it never happened.  As far as I'm concerned, there never was an American version of Coupling.  There is only one Jeff, and he is British.

(and even though PBS stopped running it, BBC America still plays it)
27>34

saco

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2003, 03:34:00 pm »
The office IS indeed brilliant.   Though I am sure the American version will be awful.

mankie

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2003, 03:40:00 pm »
Evidently, although I never saw it, the original British version of "Men behaving badly" was brilliant, but the American version was crap...which I can confirm.

Three's company was also a copy of a British show called "Man about the house" with Richard Beckinsale...which was also great. Mind you the American version was also good in a pop-cult sort of way.

"The Royle Family" Is the funniest show I've seen come out of Britville in a while but there's no way they could Americanize it...thank God!~

"Absolutely Fabulous" never really did it for me to be honest.

lily1

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2003, 03:43:00 pm »
richard coyle...RRRREEEEOOOWWW!

Originally posted by vansmack:
   There is only one Jeff, and he is British.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2003, 03:45:00 pm »
Originally posted by saco:
  The office IS indeed brilliant.   Though I am sure the American version will be awful.
Well here's hoping that at least it's got the british show's creator on board...

and i could be wrong but isn't coupling the british version of friends?
T.Rex

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2003, 03:59:00 pm »
Has anybody seen the new version of "Degrassi Junior High"? Now there was a good show. Canadian, I believe.

"My So Called Life" with Clare Danes was aloso good, but don't tell anybody I admitted to that.

lily1

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2003, 04:00:00 pm »
i loved degrassi junior high. pretty forwarding thinking for the late 80's. it was canadian. filmed in toronto, i think but carried by pbs in the states.

bungle bud

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2003, 04:06:00 pm »
yes coupling is the british version of friends and that is why i have not watched it.
 yes david brent is helping out with the american version of the office.

vansmack

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2003, 04:09:00 pm »
Originally posted by bungle bud:
  yes coupling is the british version of friends and that is why i have not watched it.
It's loosely based on a Friends concept but is 10 times better than Friends ever was in it's hay day.

The American version (that isn't actually happening) will be poor in comparison because of the puritan TV standards on US network television.
27>34

saco

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2003, 05:42:00 pm »
While I certainly agree puritan standards do have an effect, the dumbing down for the audience is much more infuriating.

I can count the number of shows I usually watch on one hand; two of those are on HBO and the other two on comedy central.   Which brings me to another great british export that is starting to suck now that is has come to America, anyone else watch Trigger Happy TV?

G.Love

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2003, 07:27:00 am »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  (and even though PBS stopped running it, BBC America still plays it)
WHAT!?!?!?!?!?
 Say it ain't so!!!!!!
 I wonder if it has to do anything with NBC buying the rights?  Stupid NBC and their must see TV!!!!
 freaking peacock!!!