Author Topic: Best Dylan Song  (Read 4876 times)

allmy$to930

Re: Best Dylan Song
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2003, 04:31:00 pm »
Not very Dylanesque...still a great tune that was on one of two of Uncut magazine's free Dylan cover albums last year.

ggw

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2003, 04:45:00 pm »
I'm surprised vansmack hasn't given props to the Mike Ness version of Don't Think Twice.

walkman

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2003, 05:41:00 pm »
Like A Rolling Stone.  Obvious, but true.

twangirl

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2003, 08:14:00 pm »
My vote for best Dylan cover would have to be "Nobody 'Cept You" done by 16 Horsepower on their Secret South album. I think the original is only available on a Dylan live bootleg though. It's a beautiful song, I wish Bob would record it himself.

Guiny

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2003, 09:21:00 pm »
Obvisously my favorite Dylan cover would be "Lay Lady Lay" by Ministry.   :cool:

G.Love

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2003, 07:29:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  Any song of his where I can listen to someone else sing it.
All Along the Watchtower - by Jimi Hendrix
 (not that Jimi's voice was any better, but his guitar plucking sure was!!!)

Jaguär

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2003, 03:22:00 pm »
Highway 66 Revisted

ggw

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2003, 03:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguär:
  Highway 66 Revisted
Is that the new local traffic program?

vansmack

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2003, 03:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggw:
  I'm surprised vansmack hasn't given props to the Mike Ness version of Don't Think Twice.
Sorry, wasn't watching this thread.  I thought it was best said by Rhett "any song with someone else singing" so I moved on.

But thank you GGW, I would have said Ness's "Don't Think Twice" so in my absence, I defer to the masteful GGW to speak on my behalf.
27>34

Jaguär

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2003, 04:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggw:

Originally posted by Jaguär:
  Highway 66 Revisted
Is that the new local traffic program? [/b]
LOL.

Crap! I got the number wrong. See what DC traffic is doing to my brain.   :roll:  It would be better if it were 66. Has more of a DC/Devilish/Rt. 66 flow to it....unlike DC/NOVA traffic.

Highway 61 Revisited

Verve

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2003, 11:30:00 pm »
good simple ?; too bad you gotta have some "cool guys" trying to have a laugh.....
 hands down, dont know but either tangled up in blue or simple twist of fate.....or like a rolling stone? so hard

Jaguär

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2003, 11:47:00 pm »
Magnet just released a good cover of Lay Lady Lay.

raebyddet

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2003, 10:18:00 am »
Well it sounds like everyone one will be going to see Dylan in his new big movie roll.

http://www.sonyclassics.com/masked/

"In a fictional America caught up in a civil war that is tearing the nation apart, a benefit concert is being organized. A traveling troubadour named Jack Fate is sprung from jail by his scheming former manager, Uncle Sweetheart, to headline a concert with the expectations to bring peace to a country that is entrenched by chaos, lawlessness and pandemonium.

After months of rumors, whispers, gossip, tall tales and idle speculation, we are finally face to face with Masked and Anonymous, a film directed by Larry Charles with the black humor he brought to Seinfeld and starring Bob Dylan as an aging rock legend who once upon a time wrote songs such as The Times They Are a Changin' and Like a Rolling Stone. Talk about typecasting.

The film also stars John Goodman, Jessica Lange, Jeff Bridges, Mickey Rourke, Luke Wilson, Penelope Cruz, Angela Basette, Giovanni Ribisi, Val Kilmer, Cheech Marin, Ed Harris and Bruce Dern in roles that seem like the lyrics of Highway 61 Revisited come to life, from the roving gambler to the promoter who nearly fell off the floor. Dylan has been cagey about how much of a hand he had in writing the script, but (by inspiration, innovation, or imitation) these characters sure talk like Dylan songs. It's a lot of fun to see what happens when a dark woman from Infidels bumps up against a drifter from John Wesley Harding and a prodigal son from Slow Train Coming."

thirsty moore

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2003, 10:44:00 am »
I've been listening to his song Wigwam a lot recently.

walkman

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2003, 12:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by raebyddet:
  Well it sounds like everyone one will be going to see Dylan in his new big movie roll.

"In a fictional America caught up in a civil war that is tearing the nation apart, a benefit concert is being organized. A traveling troubadour named Jack Fate is sprung from jail by his scheming former manager, Uncle Sweetheart, to headline a concert with the expectations to bring peace to a country that is entrenched by chaos, lawlessness and pandemonium.

After months of rumors, whispers, gossip, tall tales and idle speculation, we are finally face to face with Masked and Anonymous, a film directed by Larry Charles with the black humor he brought to Seinfeld and starring Bob Dylan as an aging rock legend who once upon a time wrote songs such as The Times They Are a Changin' and Like a Rolling Stone. Talk about typecasting.

The film also stars John Goodman, Jessica Lange, Jeff Bridges, Mickey Rourke, Luke Wilson, Penelope Cruz, Angela Basette, Giovanni Ribisi, Val Kilmer, Cheech Marin, Ed Harris and Bruce Dern in roles that seem like the lyrics of Highway 61 Revisited come to life, from the roving gambler to the promoter who nearly fell off the floor. Dylan has been cagey about how much of a hand he had in writing the script, but (by inspiration, innovation, or imitation) these characters sure talk like Dylan songs. It's a lot of fun to see what happens when a dark woman from Infidels bumps up against a drifter from John Wesley Harding and a prodigal son from Slow Train Coming."

I saw the preview and CAN'T WAIT. So excited.