Author Topic: DEVO - Lets hear some chatter folks  (Read 16778 times)

SPARX

Re: DEVO - Lets hear some chatter folks
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2005, 05:16:00 pm »
But what I really want to know is...Which is better, Devo's Satisfaction or Flying Lizards Money?

Bags

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2005, 11:26:00 pm »
So Eddie must be on vacation!

Any idea on Sunday's set times?  I'm headed out of town tomorrow and have to be sure to get back in time.

Thx!

Paul Styrene

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2005, 09:07:00 am »
Can't wait for Saturday night!  A chance to relive my early 20's all over again.

I found a setlist from an Atlanta (12 June) show on a  Devo fansite and it looks like a good selection (mostly from the first three releases).  I would also add Come Back Jonee and The Day My Baby Gave Me a Surprise and would be a totally satisfied spud.

Guiny

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2005, 09:43:00 am »
Originally posted by HoyaParanoia:

it's just a fantastic song ... otis did it best and completely re-interpreted the song (like how johnny cash just makes any song he covers his own), the whole sense of adolescent frustration is channeled into the experience of being black in america in the late 60s and it's just infinitely more powerful and meaningful than the stones ... [/QB]
It would have been even more impressive if they had created the song themselves. Then I'd say, yeah, the Devo version is much better. Anyways, it will be a fun concert Sunday night.

B.I.G. Entertainment

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2005, 12:16:00 pm »
Considering that this could very well be the last time we're going to get to see DEVO live, $55 is fine by me.  I would have paid more -- hundreds, if Alan were drumming. Whatever the case, it's a corporate feudal state, and we're just spuds for the harvest.

My buddy's flying in from Pittsburgh and we're going to both shows, recreating a similar odyessy we took in '88 to see them in Cincinnati and Columbus.

Club DEVO reports that they'll being playing seldom-heard tunes on the August dates.  Though this could mean anything from "Come Back Johnee" to "DEVO Has Feelings Too," I dare not speculate.  "I Need a Chick"?  "Dr. Detroit"? "Cold War"? "DEVO Has Feelings Too"?  "Man Turned Inside Out"?  "Here to Go"?

Who knows? So let's find out!

If anybody wants to meet pre-gig for drinks and de-evolution, let's get it rollin'. ...

Bombs away!
 GRS

tobyd

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2005, 01:04:00 pm »
Now you're talking.  My buddy is flying in from Seattle tonight for the show on Sunday.  Wish there was a cheap way in on Saturday, oh well.  Can't wait!!!  CU there.
 T

Bags

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2005, 01:14:00 pm »
YEAH, Eddie's the bomb!!  

For Sunday:

No opening act but Eddie Eyeball may come down and DJ prior to the band.

7:30 Doors
 9:30 Devo

brooklyndrew

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2005, 01:23:00 pm »
My brother is driving down from NYC. We're looking forward to seeing the Spud Boys on Saturday evening !

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2005, 01:35:00 pm »
Why might it be the last time we see them live? Is someone in the band dying?

Originally posted by B.I.G. Entertainment:
  Considering that this could very well be the last time we're going to get to see DEVO live, $55 is fine by me.  I would have paid more -- hundreds, if Alan were drumming. Whatever the case, it's a corporate feudal state, and we're just spuds for the harvest.

My buddy's flying in from Pittsburgh and we're going to both shows, recreating a similar odyessy we took in '88 to see them in Cincinnati and Columbus.

Club DEVO reports that they'll being playing seldom-heard tunes on the August dates.  Though this could mean anything from "Come Back Johnee" to "DEVO Has Feelings Too," I dare not speculate.  "I Need a Chick"?  "Dr. Detroit"? "Cold War"? "DEVO Has Feelings Too"?  "Man Turned Inside Out"?  "Here to Go"?

Who knows? So let's find out!

If anybody wants to meet pre-gig for drinks and de-evolution, let's get it rollin'. ...

Bombs away!
 GRS

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2005, 03:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes, Japanese Golfer:
  Why might it be the last time we see them live? Is someone in the band dying?
Alan Myers?

brooklyndrew

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2005, 09:03:00 pm »
We were at the show in NYC this past Wednesday and they cancelled the second oncore saying that their drummer broke his hand.  Now we get ready for the show at 9:30 and wonder what the story is?  Are they playing tonight in SC?  Is the show taking place tomorrow?  Who is the drummer??

Show in NYC was outstanding!

revcbl

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2005, 10:28:00 pm »
So...
 A month or so ago, my girlfriend returned to Baltimore from a great time seeing Devo down in Atlanta at some music festival, bringing with her the good news that they'd be coming to DC.
 Finally, I thought, a reason to return to the nation's capital where I spent my formative years seeing punk shows at a little crap box on F street.
 Tonight I surfed over to this here web site to check the price of said show, and saw... FIFTY-FIVE FREAKIN' DOLLARS?!?
 I wouldn't pay 55 bucks for the second coming of Christ, let alone some over-the-hill one hit wonders in paper suits (let me stem a tide of abusive criticism here, by saying that I own every GD album they put out, including a marble vinyl copy of Are We Not Men. In other words, I'm a bigger Devo geek than you. So there).
 The point is, NO SHOW is worth 55 bucks, I mean come on, if you folks down in the birthplace of Ian Mackaye don't know that, who the hell does? The aforementioned music festival was $70 for three days and, like, a million bands.
 As I read through the posts above this I see that some of you think that 11 TIMES the upper price limit of Mr. DC-Music himself is not too much to pay to hear the bros. Mothersbaugh crank out a juke box version of the hits, some of you say you would even pay more!
 This a plea to all of you: take the money and give it some 18-year-old kids making weird sounds in their basements. They need it a lot more and that's what made Devo cool in the first place.

Spending my 55 dollars on 15.4929 cases of Natty Boh and firing up the record player,
 Reverend Chris

brooklyndrew

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2005, 10:50:00 pm »
You're all washed up yourself pal.  Stay home. If you were at Central Park, The Hammerstein, you'd find that despite it being years, Devo is the best band out there right now.  Go get U2 tickets for $110. but you'd not be able to - go to the ticket brokers for 150.

It's about F-in time that the Spud Boys made some money on a tour instead of losing as in past years.  This is it for them and us so pay the 55.  Best show of the year you'll see.  Stop letting MTV tell you that they're a "revival" or "One hit Wonder" crap.  If you're into Devo - you're there.....period.

brooklyndrew

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2005, 10:55:00 pm »
I am seeing that all other shows at this club are nowhere near $55. so I understand in that respect.

twangirl

« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2005, 11:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by revcbl:
  So...
 A month or so ago, my girlfriend returned to Baltimore from a great time seeing Devo down in Atlanta at some music festival, bringing with her the good news that they'd be coming to DC.
 Finally, I thought, a reason to return to the nation's capital where I spent my formative years seeing punk shows at a little crap box on F street.
 Tonight I surfed over to this here web site to check the price of said show, and saw... FIFTY-FIVE FREAKIN' DOLLARS?!?
 I wouldn't pay 55 bucks for the second coming of Christ, let alone some over-the-hill one hit wonders in paper suits (let me stem a tide of abusive criticism here, by saying that I own every GD album they put out, including a marble vinyl copy of Are We Not Men. In other words, I'm a bigger Devo geek than you. So there).
 The point is, NO SHOW is worth 55 bucks, I mean come on, if you folks down in the birthplace of Ian Mackaye don't know that, who the hell does? The aforementioned music festival was $70 for three days and, like, a million bands.
 As I read through the posts above this I see that some of you think that 11 TIMES the upper price limit of Mr. DC-Music himself is not too much to pay to hear the bros. Mothersbaugh crank out a juke box version of the hits, some of you say you would even pay more!
 This a plea to all of you: take the money and give it some 18-year-old kids making weird sounds in their basements. They need it a lot more and that's what made Devo cool in the first place.

Spending my 55 dollars on 15.4929 cases of Natty Boh and firing up the record player,
 Reverend Chris
Since you appear to be new to this board, you've most likely missed the many discussions that have been held here about  ticket prices. To summarize, there is a direct correlation between the ticket price and the fee demanded by the artist. Devo ain't cheap. Festivals have large budgets to pay artists generated by big-money sponsorships and concessions sales in addition to ticket sales. Clubs have ticket and bar sales and that's it.
 Personally, I vastly prefer seeing a show in an intimate club, with A/C and a great sound system where I can really see what is happening onstage, as opposed to a large hot outdoor setting where I can't see the band, the sound sucks and there's no real bathrooms.  I think it's worth paying more for a more comfortable concert experience. But if you don't think it's worth the money that's certainly your choice.