Author Topic: De Novo Dahl Rollcall  (Read 2284 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
De Novo Dahl Rollcall
« on: August 11, 2005, 12:01:00 pm »
If you're not going to Saturday's DEVO show, then head over to Iota to catch De Novo Dahl appearing with Juliana Hatfield.   De Novo Dahl have been a favorite of mine since late 2003, and unless your name is flawd its highly probable that you'll like the groups brand of indie pop.  Song samples abound...

at Micropop

and at  Myspace

Iota's policies always confuse me... Does 9:30 indicate when the first band plays or when they start collection money and the music starts soon after that.

And does eating in the Cafe guarantee admittance to the show.  I'm figuring Ms. Hatfield must a few fans left wanting to "Spin The Bottle" so an early arrival maybe in order.
T.Rex

HoyaSaxa03

Re: De Novo Dahl Rollcall
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 12:07:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
 Iota's policies always confuse me... Does 9:30 indicate when the first band plays or when they start collection money and the music starts soon after that.

And does eating in the Cafe guarantee admittance to the show.  I'm figuring Ms. Hatfield must a few fans left wanting to "Spin The Bottle" so an early arrival maybe in order.
not sure about the timing, but i was assured when i went to the colin meloy show that eating in the club would gaurantee us a spot, and it worked out fine ... i would assume the demand for that show would be bigger than this one, but who knows ... they have pretty decent food, fish was good if i remember right
(o|o)

Bags

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 01:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
It did, but I feel as if I recall someone saying that policy had changed?  I'd call them and check, but the policy had been that if you were in the restaurant, they'd come through and allow you to pay the cover for the show.  For some reason I remember thinking you needed to be at a table by 8:00...they take reservations through either 7:30 or 8:00.

eltee

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 04:33:00 pm »
They do not take reservations any longer.
 The time on the website stipulates the start time of the first band.
 They start taking money inside about 7/7:15. Yes, both sides.
 Then to the line at door about 7:30 - 8 pm. All approximation but pretty close. Might be slightly later by a few minutes on a weekend.
 I'll be there.

eltee

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 04:36:00 pm »
crap. meant to edit not add.

Tom Servo

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 04:49:00 pm »
I'm in.  First trip to Iota.  I've heard good things, but it took a sure thing to get me out there.

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 05:20:00 pm »
What a sheltered life you live.  :)

Originally posted by Tom Servo:
  I'm in.  First trip to Iota.  I've heard good things, but it took a sure thing to get me out there.

Tom Servo

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005, 02:07:00 pm »
Perhaps.  I would say that last night's Secret Service appearance prove that I'm not the most sheltered, but it sounds like they are putting me to shame.

I haven't ventured out of the Adams Morgan and U Street hoods for a while now - it's time to see what's out there.

Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes, Japanese Golfer:
  What a sheltered life you live.   :)  

Originally posted by Tom Servo:
[/b]

eltee

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2005, 03:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by Sugartastic:
  The time on the website stipulates the start time of the first band.

And sometimes the start time might be slightly delayed due to crowd size.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2005, 11:55:00 pm »
Awesome show!  The fifth time I've seen the band live and the best of the lot.  To me they seemed a bit timid at Iota earlier in the year, and cramped at the Warehouse show.  This time a little urgency and very confident on stage.  DND need to headline Iota very soon....
T.Rex

Bags

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2005, 09:13:00 am »
Just curious how Juliana was....  Anyone check her in-store at Revolution Records?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2005, 09:28:00 am »
didn't stay for Juliana it was hot and crowded at the Iota so it was time to head home after the Dahl, who completely won over the crowd and had a number of fans there just to see them.
T.Rex

eltee

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2005, 01:50:00 pm »
I'm very upset I couldn't make the show. Suffered a bit from heat exhaustion on Sat. So, I guess it's good in a way that I didn't make it...since you mention it was hot in there. Iota needs to crank the A/C in the future!

Tom Servo

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2005, 05:24:00 pm »
Hot is right.  Every place in town seemed to be boiling.  

The DND set was great.  Very polished but with a nice "live" sound that reminds you that you're not just listening to the album.  They're hard not to like, I had no worries about dragging two friends to the show who had never seen them.    

I sat down in the restaurant side for Juliana Hatfield, so it was more background music.  Sounded good I thought.