Author Topic: Flat Screen TVs?  (Read 7050 times)

brennser

Flat Screen TVs?
« on: October 18, 2005, 11:37:00 am »
Prices are plunging and I may not be able to resist through another holiday season without getting one!

Anyone have one? (Markie?) How do people feel about LCD v plasma, HD built in v HD ready, etc etc.

Any good boards out there where folks obsess as much about flat screen TVs as much as we obsess about music?

Re: Flat Screen TVs?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 11:41:00 am »
Pollard, can you answer this one?

ratioci nation

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 11:44:00 am »
I actually dont know much about TVs, I just sold mine and am getting a new one in Portland.  But cant afford anything too snazzy.  This thread may actually help me out.

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 11:45:00 am »
I was just joking. I thought at one time you said you didn't have a tv.

Originally posted by p011@rd:
  I actually dont know much about TVs, I just sold mine and am getting a new one in Portland.  But cant afford anything too snazzy.  This thread may actually help me out.

eros

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 11:47:00 am »
A pretty good site for all things HDTV, though it is very geeky.

AVS Forum
ʎɐʍou

ratioci nation

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 11:49:00 am »
Originally posted by Xavier Bush, Power Forward:
  I was just joking. I thought at one time you said you didn't have a tv.

oh that was a joke as well, I though you were referencing the fact i am a computer dork, i will actually have cable for the first time in a couple of years when i move, so i am sure nobody will hear from me for a while

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 12:09:00 pm »
Originally posted by eros:

AVS Forum
Love this site....

What is your budget, brennser?  And how big of a screen do you want?

Sir HC

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 12:10:00 pm »
Go LCD especially if you are a gamer.  The Plasmas can burn in if they hold the same picture too long (think Pac-Man at the mall).

There are the projection ones that really are impressive.  I have a friend with the Sony rear projection (not that deep) and it is great.

Other than that, I have an ancient tv at home.

markie

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2005, 12:13:00 pm »
I got a new T.V. last year. A 30 inch sony flat-screen CRT. It was $900 or so. It weighs 150 lbs. It is a bit of a monster, but it was much cheaper than a plasma or lcd at the time.

If I were you I would take a look at the newer Dell LCD offerings. Unless you want a giant T.V.

I like the sound of this:

http://us.gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-entertainment/never-leave-your-room-dell-37inch-hdtv-131610.php

Personally I think you should get a cheap T.V. and with the rest of the money get a bike that fits you and some lycra that is not vomit coloured.

brennser

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2005, 12:14:00 pm »
Originally posted by Chaz, Lover of all Forum Members:

AVS Forum
Love this site....

What is your budget, brennser?  And how big of a screen do you want? [/b]
yeah, been clicking through that site and it seems good

I'm thinking between 37 and 42 inches screeen wise and budget wise I've seen ones at 2k or lower but would be willing to pay up to 3 / 3.5k....

brennser

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2005, 12:16:00 pm »
yeah, it was that gizmodo posting on the Dell LCD that prompted this posting

Originally posted by MTB-Markie:
  I got a new T.V. last year. A 30 inch sony flat-screen CRT. It was $900 or so. It weighs 150 lbs. It is a bit of a monster, but it was much cheaper than a plasma or lcd at the time.

If I were you I would take a look at the newer Dell LCD offerings. Unless you want a giant T.V.

I like the sound of this:

http://us.gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-entertainment/never-leave-your-room-dell-37inch-hdtv-131610.php

Personally I think you should get a cheap T.V. and with the rest of the money get a bike that fits you and some lycra that is not vomit coloured.

brennser

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2005, 12:17:00 pm »
Go LCD especially if you are a gamer. The Plasmas can burn in if they hold the same picture too long (think Pac-Man at the mall).
not a gamer but I've heard the burn in issue w/ plasmas (but is that the same as the burn in fears that led everyone to have screensavers when you didn;t really need them?)

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2005, 12:19:00 pm »
Originally posted by brennser:

Originally posted by Chaz, Lover of all Forum Members:

AVS Forum
Love this site....

What is your budget, brennser?  And how big of a screen do you want? [/b]
yeah, been clicking through that site and it seems good

I'm thinking between 37 and 42 inches screeen wise and budget wise I've seen ones at 2k or lower but would be willing to pay up to 3 / 3.5k.... [/b]
Check out a panasonic plasma.  Most folks think they are by far the best in terms of bang for the buck.  Don't worry about burn in.  It was an issue in very early generations of plasma tv's but isn't much of an issue now and can be avoided with some very basic precautions.....you'll find tons of info at avs about this.  it's mostly a myth purpetuated by best buy salesmen at this point....

If you already have a surround sound setup consider a commercial panasonic model.  You can get a 50" for under 3k, a 42 for around 2k and a 42 ed model for about 1500 bucks.

ratioci nation

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2005, 12:34:00 pm »
so what do people suggest closer to the $600 range?  ;)

edbert

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2005, 12:38:00 pm »
The current issue of Consumer Reports has them rated